Once T2 Always T2?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did read with concern on this site that ‘life expectancy with T2 is likely to be reduced by 10 years’. :-(
It didn't say, "Life expectancy for members of this Forum..." ! Those who on average may live 10 years less include all those poor people who should have been diagnosed years ago but still don't know they have diabetes, the people who believe the doctor knows best and dutifully eat their "plate" loaded with plenty of carbs, the people who were told not to test and don't, the people over 65 who have been told they no longer need to worry their grey heads about diabetes and can eat what they like, (yes, that is an official policy) and on and on. IMO people who find their way here and stick around have probably already raised their life expectancy by 10 years!

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
the people over 65 who have been told they no longer need to worry their grey heads about diabetes and can eat what they like, (yes, that is an official policy)
yaay, only 2 more years and i can go back to cake and ice cream !!!! ..... not .... :)

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
I was told by my GP last year that my T2D was “resolved” and I received a letter stating that.

That was 2 years after initial diagnosis.

However I still get an annual retinopathy screening and get invited for free flu jabs.
That's really clever of you - well done. How did you do it apart from losing weight?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Everything I have read so far suggests that it is the treatment with drugs and insulin that leads to the worsening ,

This is only true for drugs that increase the bodies production of insulin. A lot of newer drugs along with Maraformin do not increase insulin levels.

You also need to define "worsening", for example, high does of insulin can stop you going blind and losing your legs, but do increase the risk of heart attaches and strokes. Personally, if I was forced to choose, I would choose not to go blind. (But with low carb diet I don't have to make that choice at present.)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
THow did you do it apart from losing weight?

By following a Low Carb diet, along with some intermittent fasting which led to a rapid weight loss.

I do think that weight loss, especially the visceral fat from around the important bits is the key

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is only true for drugs that increase the bodies production of insulin. A lot of newer drugs along with Maraformin do not increase insulin levels.

You also need to define "worsening", for example, high does of insulin can stop you going blind and losing your legs, but do increase the risk of heart attaches and strokes. Personally, if I was forced to choose, I would choose not to go blind. (But with low carb diet I don't have to make that choice at present.)

agreed entirely - diet first, then worry about the drugs !