pumpers

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
as in title (not farters) what back up insulin do you have? I am struggling to get 1 pen of Degludec/Tresiba as a back up pen in case of pump failure, I do not want a full box of 5 which I told the GP on the phone yesterday just 1 single pen, r do you just reply on your fast acting insulin back up pens?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Gaz-M Good question as my Dsn rapped my knuckles over this recently as my basal is about 2 years old and novorapid is the same and before she asked I hadn’t checked the dates and couldn’t tell her if it was ok to use. My personal plan was to use the novorapid if the pump failed and then get to the pharmacy to replenish the tresiba, I know some pharmacies like Boots dispense one pen - any more and it would be wasteful however novorapid I would get the pack of 5 as I would use them up for correction doses when I needed the extra.

Reactions: Gaz-M

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
thanks Juicyj thats all I needed to know :) I said to the GP that I would just reply on novorapid but I was advised to have both. I will see what the pharmacist says tomorrow when they call, just seems Tresiba has been took off my prescription all together

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Gaz-M

I have 1 Long acting Lantus as a back up and Humalog fast acting cartridges as a back up. Had to use both recently when my pump went to critical error. You have jogged my memory tho, as I have just switched to Novo Rapid and haven't back up pens in the fridge.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have both long and short acting backup pens, both prescribed in lots of ten. Never had any issues getting these from my GP (Lantus and Novorapid).

If I'm out for more than a day I carry one of each with me then dispose if not needed. When travelling abroad I also carry one of each to tide me over should I need them until I can obtain more on site.

Last year my pump died in south of France and needed pens to keep me going for few days till the end of my hols and a replacement pump arrived at my home.

D

Deleted Account

I have NovoRapid and Lantus pens as backup.
I have had no problems getting these on prescription but consider it a waste getting 5 cartridges at a time as I expect to get my pump replaced within 24 hours.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I asked my GP TO prescribe me two pens each of humalog and levemir and the pharmacy gave me two boxes - so 10 of each.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
thanks all for the replies, the pharmasist was supposed to call me today but they didn't so I will see what they say on Friday when I pick up my prescription

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Likewise - Novorapid and Lantus backup.

However, I also keep some spare old fashioned syringes as a Plan B in case the pump fails and the Plan A insulin has expired, in which case I can draw directly from the current vials.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

However, I also keep some spare old fashioned syringes as a Plan B in case the pump fails and the Plan A insulin has expired, in which case I can draw directly from the current vials.

Me too

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got loads of Lantus in the fridge, like 5 boxes or something. I fill my pump from Novorapid pens, which I use as backup as well.

D

Deleted Account

My old fashioned syringes are Plan A backup for my pump if it fails which I am out for less than a day (not overnight).
I have insulin with me all the time in the pump so I don't need to take a cartridge out of the fridge for a morning shopping/afternoon biking/evening climbing/day working and a small syringe is far less bulky than my pens.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
my DSN has sorted it out for me with a call to the pharasist, I only wanted 1 pen of both as back up and that is what she has got me so happy days

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
my DSN has sorted it out for me with a call to the pharasist, I only wanted 1 pen of both as back up and that is what she has got me so happy days

@Gaz-M once taken out of fridge for backup then they should be thrown out if not used.

D

Deleted Account

@Gaz-M once taken out of fridge for backup then they should be thrown out if not used.
Interesting view. This is not what I have been advised.
When on MDI and travelling, I would always take twice as much insulin as I needed and return with spares which I would return to the fridge when I returned until I next needed a new cartridge. With this approach, I experienced no ill effects.
If you consider my "journey" from pharmacist to home was typically three or four hours (I would pick up my insulin in my lunch break), my insulin would always have a period out of the fridge and then back in again.

I agree this needs to be reviewed if you are unable to keep you insulin cool such as in a Frio bag.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting view. This is not what I have been advised.
When on MDI and travelling, I would always take twice as much insulin as I needed and return with spares which I would return to the fridge when I returned until I next needed a new cartridge. With this approach, I experienced no ill effects.
If you consider my "journey" from pharmacist to home was typically three or four hours (I would pick up my insulin in my lunch break), my insulin would always have a period out of the fridge and then back in again.

I agree this needs to be reviewed if you are unable to keep you insulin cool such as in a Frio bag.

Hi Helen - you are of course correct, I'm assuming (and maybe I should not have) that your are away from a fridge or a frio bag for more that 24hrs or so if you need to take a pen with you as a spare :). But even so when using a frio on holiday when the holiday is over I never put the leftover insulin back in the fridge.

You can keep it at room temp (circa 20c) for 28 days, but you'd need to label your spare pens to remember the one you took out of the fridge last time and when you took it out. I'm also quite sure from experience that you cannot just add up the days until you reach 28, plus remember being told never to put insulin back in the fridge after its been removed (although on long holidays and when flying I've never followed this).

I personally find that after around 3-4 days at 28c or more my insulin in my pump is not as effective and needs changing.

Last edited: