Trigger finger

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, how may of you have or have had this and how did it go away? I’ve had this for maybe 2 years and I still can’t used my fingers properly. Any advice is welcome.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I’ve recently started with trigger finger ( May - coincided with insulin for me ) in my right thumb and neuropathy in my right hand. I’ve been prescribed gabapentin and ibuprofen for it and I take 600:600:600. It’s been quite problematic as I already can’t use my left arm / hand following two strokes when I was 23. The trigger finger is very awkward as it comes and goes with no apparent cause to start or go. I usually wake up with both neuropathy with burning and pins and needles then numbness in my hand. I don’t think the pain disappears I think it just modifies itself. My thumb spends probably half the day not hurting as much but my goodness when I decides to hurt it feels almost like a very hurts thing . Absolute burning agony until my thumb clicks or up clicks. If it decides to go away it disappears just as quickly. In my case. Gabapentin and ibuprofen have helped a lot. I know all cases are unique to the individual but that’s mine . Hope it helps

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Sarah69, also have trigger finger in right ring finger and boy oh boy, it hurts like crazy until it unlocks! No rhyme nor reason to it.....also dealing with neuropathy starting in left hand - oh so bothersome.....No ideas for remedies, but I feel your pain!! Blessings/L

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a history of trigger fingers, including one now!

About 5 years ago my left hand index finger started triggering. The first course of treatment was a steroid injection. After about a month, the triggering reduced and the pain started to go away. About a year and a half later, it came back and the options were to either have another injection or to undergo surgery. I went for the latter which involved making an incision at the bottom of the finger and shaving the tendon to release it. 2 weeks of no driving and regular hand physio was on order. There is now a small scar on what is otherwise a perfectly strong and functioning hand.

I now have the same problem with my right hand. I had the injection last year, but because I do a lot of boxing, it started the problem again only a few months later. There is no sense in having another injection as my exercise lifestyle isn't going to change, so the surgery it is and I am now on the waiting list.

It is a little painful having local anesthetic injected into the hand and the recovery is also inconvenient. But for the sake of restoring hand functionality and not jumping everytime I bump into something, it is most definitely worth doing.