BCAA's for T1

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys

I've been training and lifting most my life and apart from a decent protein based diet the only supplements I take are a whey protein powder, glucosamine sulphate and cod liver oil.

Over the past 18 months or so I've been hearing more and more about BCCA's, apparently they also help lower BS levels too.

The questions I have are:

• Are there any long term issues with taking these for a T1?
  • Can once become more insulin resistant on them?
  • How are these taken, as a powder in a protein shake or just as pills?
  • What is a decent brand/product to start with?

thanks

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used BCAA's for a few years until I decided to go back to basics (i.e glucose/electrolytes/water). There were a few reasons why I did that, not least of which because the whole market of supplements is so poorly regulated that it is impossible to rely on advice when it comes to anything related to diabetes.

In terms of known brands, you may wish to consider Genetic Supplements. They make the best tasting BCAA I have tried and they seem to be more affiliated with professional athletes. One of their ambassadors is the T1D body builder Phil Graham, who you may have already heard of. However, be very weary about what you read and believe when it comes to terms like 'cyclic dextrin'. In our world of diabetes, if it does not raise BG's then it does not contain carbohydrates (assuming you're not on a LCHF diet or a high protein diet). The only way to know for sure what impact the solution contains is to blood test and gauge how you feel during and post-workout.

For weightlifters, BCAA is usually consumed as a soluble powder broken down in water as you would want to sip it throughout the workout. You may also wish to opt for Instant BCAA so that it doesn't congeal like whey.

I did not find I became more insulin resistant/sensitive on BCAA.

Hope that helps!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
BCAA's are already in your whey protein powder. If you are already consuming a good protein amount via diet and whey protein powder, then I'd think you are just wasting your money, but hey, it's your money. Do as you wish. The bodybuilding supplement industry is imo probably the most dishonest industry around. They'd happily sell you a bottle of water with a label slapped on it reading, Super mega h20 Godzilla blaster rock hard shredder juice. Accompanied by the standard image of some muscle bound guy. :)

I'm not T1 so I can't really say what impact BCAA will have on you, I just don't think it's worth the money really. I'd put it into whey protein, knowing that I'm getting a complete amino acid profile along with the BCAA's already present in it. Just my opinion on it.

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BCAA is a supplement. You don't need to take a supplement unless there is a benefit to it and you have an inadequate amount of it in your system. You may want to take a supplement if you're trying to achieve something, but what particular product and how much is the minefield you'll have to crawl through.