What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good morning all :)

4.4 today

Looking at the news we were luckier here in the North of Scotland with the snowy weather than the central belt. The snow from yesterday (and last night) has part thawed and frozen now so it's a sort of mixed blessing - keep warm and as safe as you can everyone.
Hope you have plenty of salt/grit for your pavements & paths Glenmac...that ice can be so precarious...an unbelievable amount of snow in Scotland...take great care.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had liver,bacon and onion for dinner last night but made the mistake of having a little mashed potato with it so ended up at 9.9 hence a 5.7 on waking this morning.
9.9 for a portion of mash with liver & bacon...I'd take that John...then 5.7 on waking...not bad going...haven't had liver & bacon for years...tempted.

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I want to ask you Gabrielle, can you still eat noodles, dumplings, spring rolls, sushi etc on insulin?

Or do you still have to carb count and avoid most oriental foods?

I’ve lived in the Philippines, Singapore and Hong Kong and I miss the foods so much!

Just curious.

I not eating those, i avoid any food that contain more than 30 carbs per meal. I try bread pudding today (it contain a worrying 45g of carbs per serving) and i took two serving with a bolus of 7 unit, the three hour reading is off the chart (18.2 mol) and i needed like 6 unit of correction bolus to correct it. Look like any high carbs food is bad idea. Look like no cheat day for me.

Reactions: Cumberland

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
7.8 for me today have a good day all
Hi Karen fasting bloods this morning for me, forgot last night at 9.30 and had a slice of cheddar to counteract the liver dump,so instead of 7.30 8.00 test now it's more 10am and it will be packed out. !K
BG at 6:35 am was 6.2

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning all. Not been on here much recently because my g'son is poorly again, we all have colds etc and life is generally getting in the way!.

Thank you for the advice on how to get my fbg to start to lower. Liver blocks etc. But, its not working.

Today I am 7.7 I am doing nothing different, its just slowly creeping up. It is also not dropping back into the 5s during the day. Post meals I am going up to 10. Have not done that at all except when I had cake etc. Now it goes up on the carbs in cauliflower!. That seems very unfair.

I am wondering if I should book another apt with the diabetic nurse, but she told me to eat the eatwell plate and not to worry about testing, so I don't know if she would be particularly helpful.

Sorry about the moaning, but this really is the only place that understands.

Hope you all have a warm day!!. We have no snow here but it is really very windy!!

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all. Not been on here much recently because my g'son is poorly again, we all have colds etc and life is generally getting in the way!.

Thank you for the advice on how to get my fbg to start to lower. Liver blocks etc. But, its not working.

Today I am 7.7 I am doing nothing different, its just slowly creeping up. It is also not dropping back into the 5s during the day. Post meals I am going up to 10. Have not done that at all except when I had cake etc. Now it goes up on the carbs in cauliflower!. That seems very unfair.

I am wondering if I should book another apt with the diabetic nurse, but she told me to eat the eatwell plate and not to worry about testing, so I don't know if she would be particularly helpful.

Hope you all have a warm day!!. We have no snow here but it is really very windy!!
So difficult KOT...but there may be nothing you can do at the moment...colds...flu...all of those will raise our BGs...plus the added stress/anxiety of the spikes and family illnesses are all likely to add to those rising levels...can't advise on whether to speak to the DSN...doesn't sound encouraging if she is an 'eat well plate' devotee... and if you weren't testing how on earth would you (any of us) know your BG was rising...prioritise on getting well...dealing with your g'son illness...its a temporary rise...you have to see it for what it is...hope that doesn't sound like a lecture...or unsympathetic...not meant to be...but there are times where there is nothing we can do with those spikes...particularly when we're poorly...stressed or anxious...watch it carefully for the next few days...have a look here it explains far better than my clumsy attempt to:
https://www.diabeteswellness.net/sites/default/files/Illness and Diabetes.pdf

Take care.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
9.9 for a portion of mash with liver & bacon...I'd take that John...then 5.7 on waking...not bad going...haven't had liver & bacon for years...tempted.
One of my favs but don't have it very often these days so was worth the spike in my view maybe I will leave out the mash next time.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!

Hi Kentoldlady1 just a thought but have you tried skipping a meal to see if this kickstarts your BG, or like some on here fast over a couple of meals, I realise if you haven't done fasting it can be hard to do. But try not eating any food just drinks after your evening Meal until next morning has late has you can upto lunchtime,and see what happens over the rest of the day. Drink has much has you want tea coffee water oxo etc. until you have some carb free food next meal. Hope this is of some help to you, and hope your grandson gets well soon! But stress and illness plays havoc with our BG has well has I'm sure you already know, but good luck wishing you well! K. PS it's been hailstorm for three days here and terrible high winds last night but no snow has yet!K