Breakfast for cold weather - brrrr!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
yum, nothing like porridge with fresh strawberries and blueberries on a morning like this, -3 outside but I'm glowing like the Ready Brek kid :lol: What do you all like to have for breakfast to stay warm on days like this?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Got to agree there's nothing like a hot bowl of porridge on a cold morning. Just started eating porridge again after a long break and forgot how good it is, I buy the Original Quaker Oats and find these much kinder on my postprandial bg readings than the instant varieties.

Nigel

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
noblehead said:
Got to agree there's nothing like a hot bowl of porridge on a cold morning. Just started eating porridge again after a long break and forgot how good it is, I buy the Original Quaker Oats and find these much kinder on my postprandial bg readings than the instant varieties.

Nigel

snap! I have just started eating it again after a long break, although I'm a cheapskate and buy the Tesco own scottish oats, much nicer than the instants - I am a bit weird though, I think it's years of avoiding all foods with sugar added as per my early diabetic years so I actually prefer the taste of porridge oats unsweetened with honey etc like they put in some of the instants?!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There's no denying - porridge IS lovely. I used to like to make it with some double cream and a sprinkling of sweetener.

Shame it hits my BG so hard. And I do mean HARD. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Patch said:
There's no denying - porridge IS lovely. I used to like to make it with some double cream and a sprinkling of sweetener.

Shame it hits my BG so hard. And I do mean HARD. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Prob not the time to tell you I make mine with water and a splash of skimmed milk?! :lol: I hate cream or full fat milk, makes me feel all unnecessary :mrgreen: :lol: :p

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I'll keep things simple....... :)

Sometimes have Quaker Oats as Nigel, made with S/S Milk and sprinkled with Splenda. Has negligible effect on Bg levels. Other times a couple of rashers of fried bacon and a fried egg, one slice of bread and mushrooms. Coffee etc........no problem with Bg levels, mind you I use Byetta so that helps.

The packet varieties of Instant Porridge are all way high in carbs so not really a good idea......unless you cover them with Insulin.

G4WIL

noblehead said:
Got to agree there's nothing like a hot bowl of porridge on a cold morning. Just started eating porridge again after a long break and forgot how good it is, I buy the Original Quaker Oats and find these much kinder on my postprandial bg readings than the instant varieties.Nigel
I use Mornflake organic ,It's both sourced and milled in Cheshire another plus is that the price isn't hiked up :D
It is coarser than the so called instant stuff but I micro wave it without problem.

John W.

sailorj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the Quaker oats with a hand full of dried fruits - cranberries, blueberries, saltanas etc which make it sweeter and tasty without the syrup and cream I used to enjoy! I also use half semi skimmed and half water to reduce the calories!

Makes going out a pleasure first thing!

jaykay

I had kippers the other day! They were tasty but a bit slimy. I think I need to try and get some really good ones and then perhaps the texture would be better.....and not one bone!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jaykay said:
I had kippers the other day! They were tasty but a bit slimy. I think I need to try and get some really good ones and then perhaps the texture would be better.....and not one bone!

Not a fan myself, but have tried them and boy do they stink the house out! :shock:

Smoked mackerel every-time! :D

Nigel

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I'm afraid I never have them as I just can't stand the bones :( Smoked trout is nice though. :)

jaykay

LOVE smoked trout :D . Nice little treat is smoked trout mixed with creme fraiche and lemon juice atop a blini. If you want to go totally mad, put some caviar on top of that :D