knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Started on the libre yesterday and I already love it! I've seen that some people have wildly inaccurate results but mine seem to come up within 1mmol so v. happy. Disappointed that the costs seem very much like a postcode lottery as ive seen now that some locations, the sensors are on prescription! I got the meter and one sensor on the nhs and have to pay for everything else.
How has everyone else found it? Ive heard that some pharmacies do sensors for £35 instead of £50, so if anyone had a better way of finding those pharmacies rather than just calling id really appreciate it!

Last edited:

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with you great for sorting out how blood sugars go at night also if you do a lot of driving
but will only be given out by nhs to pregnant mums we are told in suffolk
but great news you have got something on meter and sensor from NHS
WELL DONE what part of England are you from
vic 60 years on insulin life of

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I believe that you should be able to buy VAT free if you go through Abbott and buy online. So you definitely shouldn't be paying more than 50 pounds....

Reactions: dbr10

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I received a reader and 1 sensor as a hospital trial, I purchased 1 in December and have been so pleased with the result, I'm now waiting for a delivery of 4. Although VAT is exempt , ordering 1 at a time costs more due to the postage. I hope eventually it will be possible to gee on prescription, I'm using far less test strips.

Jkoko56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm self funding at present (and living in hope!). I order from Libre for @£50 a time VAT free, don't forget to tick the box. There are, or were last year, codes for postage free delivery.
I also reduce the cost by not using them back to back. I do 2 weeks on and roughly 1 week off ie back to finger pricking. This reduces the cost to @£1000 a year, not within everyone's budget I know. I do vary the 'week' according to what is happening so in December I made sure I was on the Libre over Christmas and New Year.
I spoke to my DSN about this and she said quite a lot of people vary their usage. Some just use them on holiday for example. I'll back to back over my next holiday- yeah! 3 weeks and retired.

Francaise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I currently live in France, (yes I know this is diabetes.co.uk). I originally bought my Libre from Abbott in France and the sensors for it and found them very useful. A few months ago they were made available here in France free of charge (for those registered with the French health service). The sensors are too -on prescription, as well as up to 100 test strips a year. I also have a pump and pump supplies supplied. When I last spoke to my diabetologist she told me that all children now diagnosed as type 1 are offered an insulin pump. This is brilliant for me and I imagine it is cost effective in the long term.

This isn't to show that I am better cared for here - rather that I think it is worth campaigning for the things you need.