Will it make a difference if I take 15 minutes to eat a slice of white toast?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know someone is gonna ask so didn't dare to get online last few days... . I am afraid the answer is no. My hubby totally brushed it away when I brought the meter up. And he's been away and always so busy... Will try again this weekend..
why do you need his permission? can you get a meter and test when he is away or at work?

ps I wouldnt usually recommend hiding things from a partner, but your health is very important.

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Red_river_ don't want you to feel like you're being pushed or "forced" by us on the forum to get a meter but it really is the most important thing you can do- you are working completely blind and have no idea what any food - even small amount of carbs are doing to you.

I can't understand your husbands reasoning - your health is extremely important- have you showed him any of the info that members have posted for you or directed you too. I can see you want to be very proactive and are keen to get it right - do you think your husband may not be quite understanding why you need to test or maybe he had fears he isn't telling you - which is all very understandable and not unusual ( I'm saying all this with the deepest of respect)

do you think if you get a meter from your GP even if they won't supply strips your husband would be more open to you testing?

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
why do you need his permission? can you get a meter and test when he is away or at work?

ps I wouldnt usually recommend hiding things from a partner, but your health is very important.
No I don't need his permission. I can easily do that but I don't want to have to do that. We never hide anything from each other.
Like I said before I just want him to see the point that I need a meter. I suspect that he doesn't know or understand much about diabetes, doesn't see that it can bring really serious complications, and I was exactly the same before I was diagnosed. I don't share with him my worries or my thoughts about diabetes. He doesn't know what I post on this forum or what I read here. He is extremely busy with work so I don't want to tress him out even more with my worries. Maybe I will let him see and that might help him understand...

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Without a meter, you will get very ill and quite quickly. Is he going to support you through that instead? What happens if you need insulin?

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Without a meter, you will get very ill and quite quickly. Is he going to support you through that instead? What happens if you need insulin?
I don't think that's the case with me, at least I do hope so. Both nurse and GPs said I just tipover on the diabetes side (6.6), so did my brother in law who is a doctor/ researcher about diabetes, even though he said I needed to be careful. I lost 18lbs that surely alone helps to bring down cholesterol and bg. I am careful of what I eat, very very low carbs and nothing sweet. I have started Pilates and Zumba and walk when I can... Of course I know I need a meter, it's my husband that needs to be convinced.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Red_river_ don't want you to feel like you're being pushed or "forced" by us on the forum to get a meter but it really is the most important thing you can do- you are working completely blind and have no idea what any food - even small amount of carbs are doing to you.

I can't understand your husbands reasoning - your health is extremely important- have you showed him any of the info that members have posted for you or directed you too. I can see you want to be very proactive and are keen to get it right - do you think your husband may not be quite understanding why you need to test or maybe he had fears he isn't telling you - which is all very understandable and not unusual ( I'm saying all this with the deepest of respect)

do you think if you get a meter from your GP even if they won't supply strips your husband would be more open to you testing?
Thank you for this Lovinglife, I myself not sure if I understand my husband's reasoning either, apart from he doesn't want me to get obsessed with self testing and get worried al the time, and the fact that's he might not know much about diabetes. So perhaps I will share with him my thoughts and advices I was given here on this website. I am not sure if he worries about the cost of the meter as he encouraged me to get a full gym membership that cost £40/ month. The meter doesn't cost that much a month I don't think..

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No I haven't. Nurse, GP, even my husband all advise against it. I myself is not keen as I fear needles and blood, although understand that perhaps I should have one.

Is it your self stated fear of needles and blood that has caused everyone to advise you against getting a test meter? Otherwise it seems absolutely incredible that any responsible health professional could recommend never testing your own blood sugar. So if you really do have a genuine phobia about finger pricking you could consider trying Freestyle Libre. OK, it's a bit more than a forty pounds per month gym subscription but it's a truly pain free, only once every fourteen days, application and you can then carry out unlimited discrete tests and take full control of your diabetes.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it seems absolutely incredible that any responsible health professional could recommend never testing your own blood sugar.
Where i live its normal for the medical profession to actively discourage type 2's on diet and/or metformin only from testing. And by actively discourage, I mean truly telling us its bad for us, useless, will cause anxiety and wear our our fingertips so they wont be any good when we need to test in a few years when the diabetes progresses and we all end up on insulin. Yes, that is from the mouth of both my previous GP and present DN.

Instead of encouraging us to test and keep our sugars low so we dont progress.

PS As a type 1, have your fingers worn out to the point of not being able to do blood tests after a few years - or could my DN be wrong? ;)