Panicking about overseas residential fieldtrip with T1

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently 25 and studying for a degree. My health has gone drastically downhill in the last 12 months, and my course leaders have recently changed which modules will be compulsory for me in my last year (I'm in 2nd year at present). The module that is now compulsory involves a 13 day overseas trip in August, moving about to various hostels.

There are several reasons that I do not want to go:
a) I live with my partner, who wakes up several times every night to check my blood sugar as I have incredibly unstable levels throughout the nights and have had for the last 2 years. The idea of spending 13 nights without this support quite honestly makes me feel sick.
b) I quite literally rely on my partner's day to day care to stay healthy. Long term struggles with mental illness mean that I am not always motivated to take care of my diabetes as well as I should be.
c) It has taken me almost 10 years to get my mood swings stabilised and I am now suffering anxiety at the thought of flying (I am petrified of flying and therefore do not go abroad), and spending 13 days in hostels with people that know nothing about my health issues.
d) I have been informed that they cannot provide me with access to mini fridges to keep my insulin cool (climate will be hot) as the trip involves short stays in various hostels with limited facilities.

Based on all of the above - are they able to force me on the trip?

I'd like to think that they would make provisions, but nobody I have spoken to so far regarding this has been very helpful...

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
This is something that you need to do as it will set you up for your future by showing yourself that you have control over your health problems, the confidence that you will gain will easily outweigh your worries

Jkoko56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
D) is the easiest. Use a frio coolbag. It's not perfect but your insulin will not go off in it if it is out of a fridge for 13 day as long as you keep it as cool as possible..
A) set an alarm overnight and test your own blood sugars. Then treat if appropriate.
B) can you gradually wean yourself from totally needing your partner's support? I suspect many of us benefit from partner support but don't totally depend on it. What do you do if your partner needs to go away for a few nights?
C) Perhaps speak to your MH supporters.
Nobody can force you to go on this or any course.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Lunar_Lapin I agree with @Jkoko56 no one can force you to do this and you need to bear in mind that travel involves unpredictability so if you're not up for it then make the decision you feel most comfortable with.

There are things you can do though if you would like to go - and to be honest given the chance I would go, travelling is gaining life experience so meeting new folk, different circumstances, adapting and gaining confidence.

A frio is ideal for storing insulin if the temperature get's warm, however as you're only away for 13 days your insulin is fine for this, take 3 times the amount of diabetes stuff you need for the trip and keep everything in an easy to access handbag, along with plenty of glucose. See if your DSN will give you a libre for the trip as it lasts 14 days it's good for checking your levels as much as you need to and seeing which direction your BG is going, ideal for travel as you can prevent lows from occurring. Buddy up with someone for the trip who you trust, tell them what a hypo is so they know what to do if you go low and how to respond. Do some research, learn about where it is you are going and what type of food is enjoyed there, get to know carb values so you can easily work out your insulin doses. Flying can be made to be an issue if you let it, however the best way to conquer your demons is to face them and if you get the chance to fly do it, I know it's easy to tell someone this but if you let your anxiety stop you from flying then you will miss out on opportunities to see the world, lots of type 1's fly regularly and it's an incredibly safe way to travel so try to not think about this aspect, concentrate on the destination instead ?

I appreciate you have had some mental issues but with some support from those organising this, a buddy and an action plan of how you will manage your diabetes while you are away will give you more confidence about doing the trip, and think about the feeling of achievement in that you have been there, done that and hopefully bring home a t-shirt souvenir too !

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @Lunar_Lapin, ditto everything @Juicyj says! Plus keeping your insulin supplies, and all diabetes stuff, in a thermal bag or even two, one inside the other, which helps keep the heat out. Make sure it’s always in the shade.
How will you all be travelling from hostel to hostel? I use a thermal backpack, made by Quechua, as hand baggage and if going somewhere hot then I know that my insulin can be in three layers of thermal protection. You can get large and small thermal lunch boxes if you need to put it all in one bigger backpack rather than use the Quechua which’s be a bit small for 13 days’ clothes.
Take spares of everything: batteries for your meter, pens and/or pump, carbs&cals book and app, etc etc.
The travel sickness pill stugeron is an antihistamine and confers an extra sense of calm so it’d be good to take a couple two hours before the plane’s due to take off.
You don’t say which country the field trip will be in. It’s possible some of us have been there, or even live there, and can give you some tips.
Just think of the triumph you’ll feel when you come back.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate to step outside of my usual role here, but for god's sake go. I can't say anything about any mental health stuff, that isn't my area (neither is diabetes really) but if you let it stop you doing stuff like this then you really have lost the fight. I flew from london to melbourne a few weeks after diagnosis, it was the single scariest thing I have ever done, I sat on the plane with a horrible black pit of fear in my stomach while everyone was getting on board thinking "you're going to regret this for the rest of your life," wondering whether I should just run for the door and deal with the consequences. I should add I am not at all worried by flying it was all just diabetes angst.

Then we flew to Singapore and it was fine.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Rox000

so you HAVE the determination @ nokind of susie..nice to hear you say it in your post....“but if you let it stop you from doing stuff like this then you have really lost the fight”
Great advice ....hoping very much that you adhere to that quote too...x

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lunar.
There will be many other students who won’t be able to undertake an overseas placement for many other reasons too and I’m certain the Uni will have a policy in place for this. Who have you spoken to so far? It would be awful to miss the placement but you could do with some support in place to enable it.
Is it something that goes towards your marks?