Coconut Milk Spike

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
I wonder if your brand of coconut milk had sugar to sweeten or starch to thicken added but not disclosed.
I suspect it may have had a sweetener added, as it was not thick. Product originated in Thailand.

Unfortunately here, things are not so regulated.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think your BG readings were absolutely fine and just as expected. Please try not to be too hard on yourself.

Reactions: Kate_B

Silas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta.
Hi. I checked my Carbs & Cals book and pure coconut milk is only 4g of CHO2 for 120ml so it is unlikely that this caused a spike. There are so many factors that can influence your blood glucose level that it can be hard to isolate what caused the spike.
Before Christmas I had the beastly bug that has been going round. My insulin requirements needed a considerable boost to fight the bug. I normally take 5 IU to cope with my main meals but for the best part of a fortnight while I was fighting it, my dose went up up by 50%. Thankfully I am fine again now and my dose has dropped back to normal. I also find that exercise makes a huge difference and I do like to try and keep as active as possible.
Trying to keep ones BG on an even keel is like trying to walk a tight-rope. With the best will in the world you are going to fall off sometimes.

Nondipoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Coconut milk is the liquid inside a coconut, not from the meat. It is naturally sweet but shouldn’t affect the blood glucose in the same way as a sugary drink. It will cause a lower spike. Coconut oil is a good fat to eat, better than olive oil & butter, as it lowers cholesterol too.

Hotpepper20000

Coconut milk is the liquid inside a coconut, not from the meat. It is naturally sweet but shouldn’t affect the blood glucose in the same way as a sugary drink. It will cause a lower spike. Coconut oil is a good fat to eat, better than olive oil & butter, as it lowers cholesterol too.
My understanding is the liquid in side the coconut is coconut water. Usually the milk is the meat with a bit of water.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_milk

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My understanding is the liquid in side the coconut is coconut water. Usually the milk is the meat with a bit of water.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_milk

That would be my suspect, ie if you just blend the meat + water, it'll seperate, so probably emulsifiers, and possibly thickener (starch) and sweetners added. The +2hr result looked good though, but I don't understand LADA.

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
That would be my suspect, ie if you just blend the meat + water, it'll seperate, so probably emulsifiers, and possibly thickener (starch) and sweetners added. The +2hr result looked good though, but I don't understand LADA.
Hi there, yes possibly sweetener; but it wasn’t thick, it had the right consistency.

A second trial of the same batch of kurma yielded similar results.

I don’t really understand LADA either, but it’s treated similarly to Type 2. The details are here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_autoimmune_diabetes_of_adults

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Did you have meat in your curry? If so the protein will raise your sugar level. If you don’t eat any carbs your body then converts the carbs of the protein, whereas if you have carbs and protein then the protein shouldn’t affect your sugar level.

However given your sugar returned within range in 2 hours I wouldn’t worry about it too much