Bariatric Surgery for T2's - Gastric Bypass

barb1

I've had bariatric bypass and it was the best thing I ever did. Have now lost 8 and a half stone. Do have minor problems with something called dumping syndrome and have reactive hypoglycaemia, which apparently is being see I more and more bariatric patients after surgery. However these are problems that although can be unpleasant I find I can manage whereas I couldn't manage to lose that amount of weight on my own. Each person is different and what is good for one will not be for others.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've had bariatric bypass and it was the best thing I ever did. Have now lost 8 and a half stone. Do have minor problems with something called dumping syndrome and have reactive hypoglycaemia, which apparently is being see I more and more bariatric patients after surgery. However these are problems that although can be unpleasant I find I can manage whereas I couldn't manage to lose that amount of weight on my own. Each person is different and what is good for one will not be for others.
Thanks @barb1

shez

Did anyone see gmtv this morning about the gastric balloon I didn’t see all of it as had to leave for work, but what I did see made me think that I could do, I think it would give the results to spur you to carry on when the balloon emptied or could you have another put in as surly it was less costly and invasive than major surgery.

fluff68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That is good to know! I lost 5 stone on low carb and had band to keep it off. However had a rare complication with scar tissue around the band and had to have it removed. I’ve since put weight back on (3 stone) and am listed for a gastric bypass.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I've been away for a while - but I'd really love to hear peoples thoughts on treating/improving T2D with Gastric Bypass Surgery.

I know it seems pretty severe, but I have done a LOT of research on this, and the improvements are often drastic.

Would anyone here consider it?
My sister had a gastric bypass. She had t2d prior to the op. After the op her diabetes has gone into remission. She lost over 6 stone following the op. This info might be helpful.

Reactions: ickihun

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
Is there a little part of you still interested in the reversal result from that op?
Before I started the lchf diet I was about 15 stone 10, today I weight 14.6 this is in less than 3 weeks. Admittadly I've been ill with norovirus and ate nothing for a day and a half but I think I'd lost almost a stone before being ill. At my heaviest I was over 17 stone..I'm only 5'3 so I really was huge. I had gradually lost almost 2 stone over the last 4 years but I've been diagnosed with svt which is a fast, irregular heart beat which with the fatty liver, diabetes and severe osteoarthritis in my knee is just getting too scary. Personally I think that you've done a fabulous job with your weight loss and you're only a young man. Bypass surgery can cause long term problems and mean a lifetime of vitamin supplements. You've shown that you can lose weight naturally, have confidence in yourself you CAN do it without surgery. I hope that I haven't been too preachy but I speak from experience. Deb

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That is good to know! I lost 5 stone on low carb and had band to keep it off. However had a rare complication with scar tissue around the band and had to have it removed. I’ve since put weight back on (3 stone) and am listed for a gastric bypayss.
Barb1 I paid for my surgery privately and although the band isn't working except when I eat something tough which then causes horrible pain and then vomiting. I would like to have it removed but because I self funded the NHS won't take it out and I'm not financially able to pay for removal. It worries me as it's an irritant and irritation can lead to cancer.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Barb1 I paid for my surgery privately and although the band isn't working except when I eat something tough which then causes horrible pain and then vomiting. I would like to have it removed but because I self funded the NHS won't take it out and I'm not financially able to pay for removal. It worries me as it's an irritant and irritation can lead to cancer.
So did you have gastric sleeve or band @deb1960 ?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Reversal results have been proven to be higher in patients who have the Roux-en-y bariatric surgery. All other procedures have a lower success rate of diabetes remission/reversal.

Brenhos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I've been away for a while - but I'd really love to hear peoples thoughts on treating/improving T2D with Gastric Bypass Surgery.

I know it seems pretty severe, but I have done a LOT of research on this, and the improvements are often drastic.

Would anyone here consider it?
When first diagnosed I wasn’t hugely over weight, meds and changing diet put weight on and my insulin use went up and up and I felt it was getting out of control. In 2011 I weighed just over 80kgs and decided to have a gastric band that I paid privately for. I gave a number of other health issues including under active thyroid which makes losing weight very difficult.
I now weigh 65kgs but at a cost to quality of life and health. I throw up after almost every meal. I was warned I would not be able to eat white bread, fizzy drinks or chewing gum. I didn’t eat any of those anyway so no issues. In actualiiy I cannot eat meat, any form of bread, rice, pasta, nothing with a skin on it that includes peas, chickpeas. All fruit like apples etc must be peeled, even tomatoes and even then they often won’t go down nor will bananas or egg whites. Basically anything that doesn’t break down quickly or easily or is fibrous so no asparagus, celery, mango or spinach ( which was a favourite). I now have daily smoothies made with fresh fruit and vegetables and soup. Going out for dinner is a nightmare and I usually spend more time in the bathroom than at the table. Can’t even order a salad. After numerous tests my bariatric surgeon has decided that it just isn’t s suitable solution for me and also advised that the surgeon whom invented the band now refuses to do them as they cause a different set of problems and issues. They are not a cure all. The waiting list to have it removed is going to be a minimum of 6 and probably up to 12 months. So after 6 miserable years I’m paying to have it removed next month. I wouldn’t tell anyone not to have bariatric surgery just that it’s not a cure all.

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if anyone else has come across this old fashioned mantra that states "If you are the same weight
or less when you reach 65 as you were when you were 21 then you have nothing to worry about weight wise.
I was 17 stone 2 lbs at 21 and as fit as a butchers dog.....did all the sporting things and had no problems at all
I am 79 now and weigh in at 16 stone 8 lbs the Hospital classes me as Obese---you just cant win can you?
I am on the low LCHF diet as per recommended this site and my weight is pretty constant so I dont worry
about it .....at my age I have plenty of other things that need attention. Cheers everyone.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wonder if anyone else has come across this old fashioned mantra that states "If you are the same weight
or less when you reach 65 as you were when you were 21 then you have nothing to worry about weight wise.
I was 17 stone 2 lbs at 21 and as fit as a butchers dog.....did all the sporting things and had no problems at all
I am 79 now and weigh in at 16 stone 8 lbs the Hospital classes me as Obese---you just cant win can you?
I am on the low LCHF diet as per recommended this site and my weight is pretty constant so I dont worry
about it .....at my age I have plenty of other things that need attention. Cheers everyone.
It's simply that that mantra was wrong if you were overweight when 21 and are still the same weight at 60 then you were and are still over weight I actually weigh less now at 67 than I did when I was 17 I wads two years ago 18 and a half stone now 10 and a half stone.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! Wow! And a million times WOW, @akindrat18 . I'm so incredibly pleased for you.

Whilst I'm positive you must look totally different having lost way more than a whole me, do you feel different, and dare I ask it, do you feel the better of it?

I'd so love to ask you more about your journey and where you've got to on your diabetes journey, but I really don't want to derail this thread.

Such a huge well done from me!

Reactions: Struma

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When first diagnosed I wasn’t hugely over weight, meds and changing diet put weight on and my insulin use went up and up and I felt it was getting out of control. In 2011 I weighed just over 80kgs and decided to have a gastric band that I paid privately for. I gave a number of other health issues including under active thyroid which makes losing weight very difficult.
I now weigh 65kgs but at a cost to quality of life and health. I throw up after almost every meal. I was warned I would not be able to eat white bread, fizzy drinks or chewing gum. I didn’t eat any of those anyway so no issues. In actualiiy I cannot eat meat, any form of bread, rice, pasta, nothing with a skin on it that includes peas, chickpeas. All fruit like apples etc must be peeled, even tomatoes and even then they often won’t go down nor will bananas or egg whites. Basically anything that doesn’t break down quickly or easily or is fibrous so no asparagus, celery, mango or spinach ( which was a favourite). I now have daily smoothies made with fresh fruit and vegetables and soup. Going out for dinner is a nightmare and I usually spend more time in the bathroom than at the table. Can’t even order a salad. After numerous tests my bariatric surgeon has decided that it just isn’t s suitable solution for me and also advised that the surgeon whom invented the band now refuses to do them as they cause a different set of problems and issues. They are not a cure all. The waiting list to have it removed is going to be a minimum of 6 and probably up to 12 months. So after 6 miserable years I’m paying to have it removed next month. I wouldn’t tell anyone not to have bariatric surgery just that it’s not a cure all.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I know exactly how you feel although I'm not in such a bad situation with so many foods. I had porridge this morning and because we were going for dinner with my son and his girlfriend at 7.30 tonight I decided to have some chicken breast and cherry tomatoes at about 2.30. Within minutes I was sick. We went out later for coffee and shared a scone, I had a quarter and was sick again. I paid £8000 for my gastric band and dread what they would charge to remove it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know exactly how you feel although I'm not in such a bad situation with so many foods. I had porridge this morning and because we were going for dinner with my son and his girlfriend at 7.30 tonight I decided to have some chicken breast and cherry tomatoes at about 2.30. Within minutes I was sick. We went out later for coffee and shared a scone, I had a quarter and was sick again. I paid £8000 for my gastric band and dread what they would charge to remove it.
Has any one sat you down and explained why your being sick?

From what your telling me your having a problem with slow digestion. Your vomiting because your build up of food awaiting to go through your system. Are you taking a PPI?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know every bariatric patient experiences different things. A lot get sickness when not eating in the way that was recommended at time of surgery. If some received any advice at all.

I've prepared myself for a change no matter how I perceive its going to be it may be worse or not so bad.
I'm hearing from every one whose had it done that you cannot over just eat how you like afterwards. Sooo many think they should be able to.
I think that's why many get it done, because their eating patterns have to be changed and they aren't capable of making those changes without surgery. The op forces that need.
Many cannot understand why their body is refusing food. The op changes how much food can be processed. Mostly permanently.

I can see why so many upset but not why they didn't realise it before surgery and why they still don't.

Smaller system = less food.

Also thou it seems many cannot eat certain foods any more. In some that evolves.
The stomach and intestine have been reconstructed. Food plans have to too.
Its very upsetting to some who haven't had a chance to come to terms with that. Like grieving for their old eating habits.
I don't know how I will be but as long as I remember I'll be given a new system to look after and work with to achieve my goals.
A major operation. No going back.
Just forwards!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun have you really read what the posters are saying? its not a case of smaller meals. Its a case of a long list of what they cannot eat in any quantity, and often even a teeny quantity comes back.

I know you feel committed to this surgery but please, read what the posters have said instead of dismissing it as them not being educated before the surgery, or trying to eat too much, or the wrong foods. They are not expecting to be able to eat the way they did, they are expecting to be able to eat sufficient for their bodies needs without throwing most of it back up.

I personally know two women who had bad results from this surgery. They cannot eat out. They cannot digest even simple foods. They have purees to eat, just a few tablespoonfuls at a time. These are informed, educated women who understand how their digestive system works and what the surgery was supposed to entail, and did everything they were supposed to do post-op and in the several years since.

Unfortunately, for many people, this surgery does not do what it is supposed to do in terms of future eating afterwards. They are permanently harmed by the surgery and basically living of supplements and liquids. And this negative experience is written off or dismissed as a rare occurrence. Well, I know its only anecdotal, but it seems, from what i read, that there are a disturbing amount of these anecdotes around.

Not to mention the high proportion of whom have to have their gall bladders removed and other surgeries later too, and have skin problems, both with the problem of excess skin (removal is not available on the NHS) and skin infections, plus all the complications of malnourishment which supplementation long term cannot make up for fully.

I have felt for a while now, reading your posts, that our are being overly optimistic in your view of the surgery, and what it can do against how it may harm you. I undestand you are desperate but you are doing so well without the surgery.

I will now butt out, and stop being a busybody. My reasons for posting like this are well intentioned.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun have you really read what the posters are saying? its not a case of smaller meals. Its a case of a long list of what they cannot eat in any quantity, and often even a teeny quantity comes back.

I know you feel committed to this surgery but please, read what the posters have said instead of dismissing it as them not being educated before the surgery, or trying to eat too much, or the wrong foods. They are not expecting to be able to eat the way they did, they are expecting to be able to eat sufficient for their bodies needs without throwing most of it back up.

I personally know two women who had bad results from this surgery. They cannot eat out. They cannot digest even simple foods. They have purees to eat, just a few tablespoonfuls at a time. These are informed, educated women who understand how their digestive system works and what the surgery was supposed to entail, and did everything they were supposed to do post-op and in the several years since.

Unfortunately, for many people, this surgery does not do what it is supposed to do in terms of future eating afterwards. They are permanently harmed by the surgery and basically living of supplements and liquids. And this negative experience is written off or dismissed as a rare occurrence. Well, I know its only anecdotal, but it seems, from what i read, that there are a disturbing amount of these anecdotes around.

Not to mention the high proportion of whom have to have their gall bladders removed and other surgeries later too, and have skin problems, both with the problem of excess skin (removal is not available on the NHS) and skin infections, plus all the complications of malnourishment which supplementation long term cannot make up for fully.

I have felt for a while now, reading your posts, that our are being overly optimistic in your view of the surgery, and what it can do against how it may harm you. I undestand you are desperate but you are doing so well without the surgery.

I will now butt out, and stop being a busybody. My reasons for posting like this are well intentioned.
I hear what the posters have said. I'm only stating what the NHS is saying...now. They didn't inform people nor educate them correctly. That is why their surgery has evolved into a failed op. Years ago the NHS had just started training the surgeons who are doing these ops now. The ops have stayed the same. No changes their but now changes in results.
Why?
I know the answer but I'd like to see what others think the reason is.

Remember not all these ops were done in the UK never mind under the NHS.

I've done my research and I'm listening to how the NHS are struggling to repair the failed ops in their infancy of being performed. How psychologists are backed up with work with patients after the op.
Myself personally I don't care if I won't ever be able to eat certain foods. I cannot now. Well I can but I get fatter. Not through quantity either.

The one thing some are forgetting..... I may not live much longer like this. Every winter I don't know if I'll be alive for my children.
I must get rid of some of this weight and vast insulin need. I use nearly 300units of insulin per day just to function. I bet many many others don't worry incase that feeling of indigestion is actually the heart attack the hospital is expecting.
I will die very early if I don't have this op. There is no choice for me. I cannot exercise due to bulging discs so I'm stuffed. I've had this diabetes 40+yrs and the fat making mechanism needs haulting, permanently. Now!
Not when I can get all these extra 1kgs off. But now!

I just haven't the time.
Some may say i've found out too late about low carb and I never received any health support as a child or young woman. They would be right!

I need this weight off quickly. I have other weigh adding health problems and I really cannot ignore my kids in favour of losing weight and only buying the food I need. The attention I have to give to just feeling normal and if I'm blessed to lose weight this week or not.
I know many who wouldn't even try.
I'm going to do both.
Low carb and health attention around my kids needs AND hopefully the op. I shouldn't lose. Fingers crossed.

Everyone having to consider op should assess for their own needs.
I need weight off now.
Before a stroke or heart attack. I deserve a long life because life is precious.
I won't give up til this weight is OFF.