some advice needed for asking my doc for metformin again

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A couple of years ago, i wanted to go back on metformin for my insulin resistance (due to pcos) and to lose weight. The GP had to refer me to the gynaecologist to OK it.
My last prescription i got was in august last year.
I want to go back on it, but the doctor wants to talk to me about my useage of it.

I only ever go on metformin when i am trying to lose weight. But I know i really need to take it full time, as it will help my health, not just for weight loss.
I just don't know how to explain this to the docs. I don't want them to say No, you can't have it again. Because then i'd probably have to be referred back to gynae and it will take forever to get it again.

I need the doc to know that i am suffering from IR, i do get shaky after i eat high carbs, i know i'll be miserable when summer comes and i am still fat! I'm going to try really hard to sort my diet out and i just really need to get back on the wagon (so to speak).

Guess if i say all this to her, she might let me go back on it?
Does it sound ok?

Reactions: OrsonKartt

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I struggle with IR too. I also am not allowed metformin anymore. I am tagging @Dark Horse who may be able to advise you.

D

Deleted Account

I guess, if I was your GP (which I'm not because I haven't been through any of the training), I might be looking to see
- Do you measure your BG when you get shaky so you have some evidence on your meter to show your GP to back up your argument?
- have you tried anything else to lose weight?
- how can you convince her you will keep it off and not fall off the wagon in a year's time?

You may not have answers to all these questions but it may help if you have thought about it.

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess, if I was your GP (which I'm not because I haven't been through any of the training), I might be looking to see
- Do you measure your BG when you get shaky so you have some evidence on your meter to show your GP to back up your argument?
- have you tried anything else to lose weight?
- how can you convince her you will keep it off and not fall off the wagon in a year's time?

You may not have answers to all these questions but it may help if you have thought about it.

My mum is type 1, so I test on her machine occasionally.

I don't know how to convince them that I won't fall off the wagon again. They'll just have to take my word for it.
I wonder if she might suggest a fasting blood test or check my hba1c levels. Think it's hba1c?

Be interesting to see the results of that.
My appointment is on the 23rd, so I'll let you all know how I get on.

Thanks for the replies

Reactions: Kim Possible

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you don't mind me asking, but why are you not allowed metformin anymore?
Because I am T2 and my HbA1c is non-diabetic now. It's my surgery's policy not to prescribe, yet others on here seem to have them for life as Metformin helps with so many other potential diseases/illnesses. I find it frustrating because my GP wants me to lose more weight, and the best way I can do this is to help my IR with metformin and exercise and a low carb diet. I find it so hard to lose weight without Metformin.

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because I am T2 and my HbA1c is non-diabetic now. It's my surgery's policy not to prescribe, yet others on here seem to have them for life as Metformin helps with so many other potential diseases/illnesses. I find it frustrating because my GP wants me to lose more weight, and the best way I can do this is to help my IR with metformin and exercise and a low carb diet. I find it so hard to lose weight without Metformin.
If that was me, I would change surgeries!
You need to really get your point across and ask them what you need to do to convince them to prescribe it again.
Guess like me, you have to prove that it's worked before
Feel sorry for you

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If that was me, I would change surgeries!
You need to really get your point across and ask them what you need to do to convince them to prescribe it again.
Guess like me, you have to prove that it's worked before
Feel sorry for you

In your shoes, I would consider you need to build your case carefully with as much documented data that you can display (i.e. records proving an issue, not just talking about a feeling you have).

If your Doctor is to vary from the standard guidelines, he/she will need decent justification; especially if you think you might want the Metformin to be longer, rather than short term.

I'd be spending a bit of time creating my agenda and back up materials before that conversation.

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
UPDATE: I've spoken to the doctor today and she said that they don't generally prescribe metformin for pcos anymore. She wants to do some blood tests, hba1c and thyroid etc, also a fasting blood test. And once that's done, she wants me to make an appointment with the diabetes nurse, as she said that she is the best person to talk to about all things blood sugar related, and then we'll go from there.
So not really the outcome i wanted but they did say they still prescribe metformin in certain cases.
Will keep you informed...

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is the reasons I am likely to keep taking Metformin for like, as there is too much risk of a GP not prescribing it again if I come off it. (If I decide to stop Metformin, I may build up a nice stockpile first.)

Reactions: Vinnie50

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got my blood test results today, everything normal. I didn't ask what the number was on the hbac1 result.
I think you can still have insulin resistance without it showing on the blood test.

I don't know what to do about seeing the diabetes nurse now. I don't really know how she is going to help with my situation.
Just wish the doctor had given me metformin, but I don't think that's gonna happen now after the blood test results.

Feel like I'm just going to be fat forever, and I'm going to be so fed up come summer.

Unless I can show the doctor photos of how metformin helped me lose weight before. To prove that it did work in my case!

Anyone else ever seen a diabetes nurse to advise about IR?