Tom Kerrige

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps he is simply recognising that there is more than one way to "skin a cat" - i.e. reduce weight, in this case. There are still plenty of people who prefer to follow a reduced calorie aproach over any other, or for a specific purpose. For example, there are several people on this site who are currently following the ND for their own purposes.

We talk a lot about each of us being different; how we should all accept those differences and take account of variety without judging eachother, or anyone else. There are times when I don't see so much of that around as there used to be.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I don't have a problem with the guy I didn't get irate I just decided the show was not worth watching and I certainly would not buy his books or follow his diet plan. The eat well plate with smaller portions.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tom Kerridge.
Successful?
Educated?
Wealthy?
Popular?
Controversial?
Knowledgeable?

All the above are sadly traits which people find difficulty accepting.

I know next to nothing about the guy but reading some of the negativity about him on the forum recently I have to admit .......
He is probably very good at what he does.

Reactions: chri5

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He’s a 2 star Michelin chef

He’s very good at that. To reach that level you have to love food and love producing great food. You have to work 18 hour days and devote your whole life to that.

Most Michelin starred chefs never lose that love and devotion.

Some do, and instead find a love for celebrity and the ££ you can earn fronting TV programs and putting their name on cook books.

I’ve eaten his food and it’s memorable

I have no interest is his diet book

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Tom Kerridge.
Successful?
Educated?
Wealthy?
Popular?
Controversial?
Knowledgeable?

All the above are sadly traits which people find difficulty accepting.

I know next to nothing about the guy but reading some of the negativity about him on the forum recently I have to admit .......
He is probably very good at what he does.

You forgot to add in your list Cyber bully.

Tabbie17

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it’s a really good book but is quite fussy and complicated to do them but they taste amazing if you do want to put the time in

Reactions: Pinkorchid

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Add it to the list.
It's your list you add it.

Well OK then

Tom Kerridge.
Successful?
Educated?
Wealthy?
Popular?
Controversial?
Knowledgeable?
Cyber bully.

Note there is no question mark required after Cyber bully.

Last edited:

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps he is simply recognising that there is more than one way to "skin a cat" - i.e. reduce weight, in this case. There are still plenty of people who prefer to follow a reduced calorie aproach over any other, or for a specific purpose. For example, there are several people on this site who are currently following the ND for their own purposes.

We talk a lot about each of us being different; how we should all accept those differences and take account of variety without judging eachother, or anyone else. There are times when I don't see so much of that around as there used to be.
This is one of the best posts I have seen in ages, and one of the reasons I stopped coming on here, thank you!

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The word sanctimonious does come to mind.
I can only agree with what @Salvia said and I fail to see anything sanctimonious in what either of us posted, I feel sure ,however, that you will be only too happy to enlighten me.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like it that Tom Kerrige has looked at 2 different ways of losing weight. Low carb which worked for him and also Low calorie. The Newcastle diet and 800 calories blood sugar diet both have helped a lot of people. I bought his first book but did find the recipes a bit too complicated and far too many ingredients, though it has given me some ideas. My take on losing weight is that there are many different ways which will suit different people. I did 500 calories less than what I was burning and that worked for me.

Reactions: chri5

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Condemning a diet because of the personal opinions of some here who say it is not suitable for diabetics is wrong. It may not be suitable for them personally but they are not experts on what is suitable for others We know only know what is suitable for us as individuals and if diabetics feel they want to try it they will know if it suits them or not
they would only know if they eat to meter, but otherwise will only give up if their HbA1c rises badly, and even then may not make the connection to a change in diet. That is why we need to add a note of caution, The OP asked if we recommended it, and most of us (mainly non ID PWD) give it the thumbs down. I cannot remember a time when someone posted in here that a high carb diet reduced their bgl when an LC diet raised bgl instead.

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's your list you add it.

Well OK then

Tom Kerridge.
Successful?
Educated?
Wealthy?
Popular?
Controversial?
Knowledgeable?
Cyber bully.

Note there is no question mark required after Cyber bully.
Should we add.....LCHF advocate to the list?
With or without the question mark, that's my dilemma.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like it that Tom Kerrige has looked at 2 different ways of losing weight. Low carb which worked for him and also Low calorie. The Newcastle diet and 800 calories blood sugar diet both have helped a lot of people. I bought his first book but did find the recipes a bit too complicated and far too many ingredients, though it has given me some ideas. My take on losing weight is that there are many different ways which will suit different people. I did 500 calories less than what I was burning and that worked for me.
Oh well said!