Help with weight loss

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, is there a better diet to try really struggling, should we go low with carbs or calorie count just need bit of help!

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
carb counting everytime. its pain free. no hunger.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried calorie counting in the past - it never worked.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree carb counting makes it so easy. I’ve always failed by calorie counting. I’ve lost 5 stone in 8 months keeping to <100g of carbs for the first six weeks then 50-70g since then :happy:
EDIT Just noticed you’re type 1, be careful you don’t go hypo

Reactions: Tracyann35

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
low Carb diet is the best & if you use: myfitnesspal they will work out the carbs for you & then you decide how many carbs a day you wish to consume. At the moment, since 6th of this month I have been mainly 20g or under daily & have losy 2.5KPg. I do also go running 3 times a week but it is not neccesary to run but you do also need to exercise, a20 - 30 minute walk daily will be of a good help

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Hi T2's thanks for your advice, however you only have half the picture. If you are not on MDI you are missing out on the 'fat' juice. Being in the pump forum, it's a good guess @Tracyann35 is on a pump so a continuous injection.

I have found a ridiculous amount of exercise and avoiding fatty foods are the only real solution. The exercise really reduces the insulin intake and can increase my carb ratio by a factor of 5! get that insulin consumption down (without cheating) and that is much of the battle won.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi, is there a better diet to try really struggling, should we go low with carbs or calorie count just need bit of help!
Since you have posted in the insulin pump area of the forum and a type1 you may be more advised by similar metabolic members?
As a type2 on mdi low carbing is only one which works for me too. I think type1s have to be careful not to go into any diet to extreme.
Hopefully some type1s will be along soon too.

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yep type 1 on accuchek Pump, I walk for 45 mins every day turn down down my Insulin to 20% but sometimes still dripping sugars to 6 and 7 before 45min brisk walk, so finding that hard, not sure how low I can go on carbs? Jelly babies seem to be my best friend lot of the time! Off to see Dr Ian Gallen on 20th March so hoping he can really help me

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
obviously it will be different for type 1s but itwill still assist in reducing insulin demand and flatten out the peaks and troughs

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m a type 1 and I’ve just lost two stone I gained with having postpartum underactive thyroid by joining Slimming World. Pros- you are never hungry and it really is something you can do for life to sustain weight loss (I hope!) I’ve also lost weight incredibly slowly like mostly 0.5 lb a week but never any less despite sticking to it but most people lose loads. I now keep an average calorie count in addition to SW and now lose 1lb-2lb a week. Cons- it’s quite carby - for example muller lights are ‘free’ but raise my blood sugar soooo high no matter what I do.
In an ideal world I’d love to be able to do low carb (perfect for control) but it’s not something I can do for life or even for a few weeks. My pump says on average I eat 108 carbs a day.

Reactions: RuthW