Alcohol and Metformin

Angela936

i've only been on Metformin for a month, am on 2000mg a day and i've not had any alcohol since starting as it says on the leaflet not to take alcohol while on it, but i really miss alcohol, not sure whether to try a small amount to see how it goes, anyone had bad effects while taking alcohol while on Metformin ?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
dont seriously there is a rare condition that if you are unlucky enough to get through drinking and using met willbe very very bad news.

Reactions: Angela936
D

Deleted member 308541

I take Metformin and shed load of other medication, I still have a beer or three plus I have a malt whisky at night.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've taken metformin for decades and I personally haven't had any problems, no lows but high bgs which have taken days to straighten out thou.
You know what they say "we are all different". Because its true. You may get a reaction so do like any carb.....test and see. Try something at home around people who agree they can help if you do experience adverse affects.
Hypos in type2s on metformin are very rare even on carby alcoholic drinks.
***However if you drink spirits or strong wines in huge excesses without food, all diabetics/none diabetics can experience hypos (with or without metformin)***

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"Lactic acidosis is rare, but it is a serious side effect. It’s caused by a buildup of lactic acid in your blood. Lactic acid is a chemical that is naturally produced by your body as it uses energy. When you take metformin, your body produces more lactic acid than it usually does. When you drink alcohol, your body can’t get rid of lactic acid as quickly. Drinking too much alcohol, especially with metformin, can cause a buildup of lactic acid. This buildup can cause serious damage to your kidneys, lungs, heart, and blood vessels. If lactic acidosis is not treated right away, it can cause these organs to shut down, which can lead to death"

https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/metformin-alcohol

I still have the odd dram of whisky or glass of wine now and then though

Last edited:
Reactions: dbr10

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Symptoms of lactic acidosis include:

• weakness
  • tiredness
  • dizziness
  • lightheadedness
  • unusual muscle pain, such as sudden and severe pain in muscles that don’t usually cramp. (Edited to add: the heart)
  • trouble breathing
  • stomach discomfort, such as a fluttering feeling, nausea, cramping, or sharp pains
  • feeling cold
Lactic acidosis is a medical emergency that must be treated in a hospital. If you take metformin and have been drinking and you notice these symptoms, call your doctor right away or go to the nearest hospital’s emergency room.

NOT SURE IF STRONG PAINKILLERS DO SAME AS ALCOHOL when mixed with metformin but any concerns before drinking on strong painkillers and metformin you need to ask your gp. I wouldn't advise it but I'm no Dr.
More risk, I'd imagine.
Hence why I no longer drink. More because of pain killers than metformin thou.

My motto is "the more the merrier", only in certain circumstances and definitely not for every scenerio.

Angela936

I've taken metformin for decades and I personally haven't had any problems, no lows but high bgs which have taken days to straighten out thou.
You know what they say "we are all different". Because its true. You may get a reaction so do like any carb.....test and see. Try something at home around people who agree they can help if you do experience adverse affects.
Hypos in type2s on metformin are very rare even on carby alcoholic drinks.
***However if you drink spirits or strong wines in huge excesses without food, all diabetics/none diabetics can experience hypos (with or without metformin)***
thanks for that, ive to get retested in two months i might wait till i get the results of that before attempting any alcohol :)

Reactions: ickihun

Angela936

"Lactic acidosis is rare, but it is a serious side effect. It’s caused by a buildup of lactic acid in your blood. Lactic acid is a chemical that is naturally produced by your body as it uses energy. When you take metformin, your body produces more lactic acid than it usually does. When you drink alcohol, your body can’t get rid of lactic acid as quickly. Drinking too much alcohol, especially with metformin, can cause a buildup of lactic acid. This buildup can cause serious damage to your kidneys, lungs, heart, and blood vessels. If lactic acidosis is not treated right away, it can cause these organs to shut down, which can lead to death"

https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/metformin-alcohol

I still have the add dram of whisky or glass of wine now and then though
am hoping i can get back off the metformin and go back to drinking sensibly :)