Post Your Recipes Here!

Blitzie

I`ve made many low carb loaves, spent loads on ingredients, only to find they taste nothing like sandwich bread. This is the closest one I`ve come across & as been a life saver for me. It is a very soft loaf though,so do need a really sharp knife to cut it. I did get this off the internet, but can`t remember where, so apologies for not giving the credit where its due.

Can be made in the bread maker or oven,I just use a basic setting in my bread maker. Or Gas mark 7 for approx 25 mins

1 cup of luke warm water
1 tsp honey
2 tbs soft butter
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups of wheat gluton flour
1/2 cup oat fiber
2/3 cups of ground flaxseeds
1/2 tsp xanthum gum
3 tbs sweetener ( I used erythritol,can add more or less, to your taste)
1 1/2 tsp salt (can just use a 1 tsp, if too salty for you
pk dry yeast.

If using a bread maker, check the instructions.

Mix the gluton flour, oat fiber,flaxseeds,sweetener & sprinkle in the xanthum gum,mix together.
With my bread maker, I put the warm water in 1st,add the eggs & butter, then the dry mixture.
Add the yeast in one corner,salt in another, honey in another corner.

I used basic programme,2lb loaf.med colour, 3 hrs.

I get 20 - 22 slices, but, I do like them thin, works out at approx 65 cals, 2 net carbs per slice, obviously more if you like a thicker slice.

Reactions: 2 people

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made fishcakes the other day which I would think were quite low carb and high protein.
1 400g tin of pilchards in tomato sauce
1 400g tin of pease pudding
chick pea flour, soya flour & wholewheat flour
spices ( I used pepper, coriander & cumin)
Mix up the fish & sauce with the pease pudding, season and add flour of your choice to thicken. I have previously used quite a bit of chick pea flour and it was a bit overpowering so I used 1 tblsp chick pea, 2 tblsp of soya & 2 tblsp of wholewheat. Try to make it fairly solid.
Roll into a large sausage, cut up into discs and flour then shallow fry. This made 8 fishcakes.

ukuleleplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold, wet weather.
One of my favourites is 50:50 burgers.

So easy.
Mix together in a food processor equal (by weight) amounts of lean minced beef and back bacon.
Mould into patties...remember to push a little dimple into middle of both sides - keeps them in shape.
Fry in a very small amount olive oil. Could probably grill but I fry.
That's it. No eggs, no anything else.

You'll not believe how tasty these are.
Zero carbs.

oopsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought I'd share this.
1 pint of water
Hand full of dark green cabbage
2 hand fulls of Kale
Half a head of Broccoli
Hand full of Spinach
2 inches of leek

Bring to the boil, let it reduce then blitz (I season with coriander & rosemary, salt & pepper)

For the burgers (I use as croutons)

3 heaped tablespoons of the meat of choice (I use coriander, garlic & leek) Make 4, bit bigger than 50p size
Mould into shape & grill or fry.
Cube 2 & sprinkle over soup (could use cream if wanted)
Makes 2 good bowl's

IMAG0220.jpg

Billy_Pilgrim

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
BG spikes, Nazis, papercuts.
Chicken Sorrel*/Spinach
*common or garden, not Jamaican sorrel

If you can find enough sorrel to make this, I guarantee this dish will make you forget you're diabetic. It's delicious, indulgent, warming and incredibly aromatic. Sorrel loses its sour edge in the cooking and just releases this lemony umami that you wouldn't believe. Should you fail to find sorrel, its poorer cousin spinach will also work, only it's a bit more low-key in terms of flavour.

Ingredients:
Butter
Olive Oil
1 Large Onion
2 Chicken breasts (cut into 2 inch pieces)
2 massive handfuls of sorrel (stalks removed) or 2 massive handfuls of spinach

Melt some butter & olive oil in a large pan/wok on medium-high, and add the chunks of chicken breast until sealed and browned, should take around 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper while you're doing this. Put chicken aside on a plate.

Add the chopped onions to the same unwashed pan (add any juices running off from the chicken too) with the heat slightly reduced, (I would salt them straight away) and cook for around 5 minutes until softened, then add half a cup of water and cook for a minute or two until the liquid is reduced slightly.

Return the chicken to the pan, stir and cover, cook on medium-low for 10 minutes.

Uncover, add sorrel or spinach, stir, and cover again for another 10 minutes.

By the end all the flavours should be dissolving into the liquid, which should have some body to it. Serve with nothing whatsoever, and eat with relative abandon.

Reactions: Tannedhaggis

sunnshine1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have sorrel growing in the garden and 'jar' them up whenever there is an abundance of them.
I then add the sorrel to some broth. Doesn't take long to cook, but have never had it with actual chicken pieces in the soup. Will have to try it.
Towards end of cooking I add either a few tablespoons of sour cream or double cream to get rid of the bitterness.
I add a hard boiled egg, cut into four lengthwise, into my bowl of soup. Delicious.

MuntiJay

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother used to love making this easy dessert in the summertime. It's so cool and refreshing that it never lasts very long!
Ingredients
  • 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
  • 1-1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
  • 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 8 ounces fat-free cream cheese
  • 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, well drained
  • 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
  • 20 maraschino cherries, well drained

Directions
  1. Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions; pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
  2. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
  4. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in pudding mixture until blended. Spread evenly over cake. Sprinkle with pineapple; spread with whipped topping. Sprinkle with walnuts and garnish with cherries. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 20 servings.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw Nigella Lawson making this pasta sauce / pesto on TV yesterday. Made it this eve and had with courgetti - was tasty!
Into a blender put:
pot of pitted olives (I used green but it doesn't matter)
jar of anchovies
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tomato (this wasn't in her recipe; I had one in the fridge that needed using up)
1 clove garlic
toasted pine nuts
bunch of flat leaf parsley

Blitz. Add enough olive oil to loosen to suitable consistency to coat pasta.
Thinking this would also be nice spread on a trout/salmon fillet and roasted.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Courgette pappardelle with lemons and cream

I don’t know if I miss the pasta the most or the sauce. Anyhow, here is my recipe for a greedy dinner or a lunch for two. P.S. I don’t measure stuff.

1 large or 2 small courgettes
1 red onion – any onion will do but I use red ones.
3 cloves of garlic (less if you want)
1 lemon (zest and juice)
Good pinch of Oregano
Red chilli – chopped fresh or dried flakes to taste
Half a glass of dry white wine (or a splash of water if you absolutely must).
Double cream or crème fraiche – about 50 grams I guess but I just pour it in till I am happy with the thickness of the sauce
A handful of chopped parsley
Fresh basil leaves
Lots of grated parmesan
Meat if you like but not too much - I add chopped bacon, sausage chunks, bits of charcuterie, whatever is handy. A bit of cooked chicken might be nice.
Salt and pepper
Butter and oil (olive or coconut perhaps)

Method:
Cut your courgette(s) into ribbons as thin as you like. I use a mandolin but you could use a sharp knife or a spirelizer.
Finely chop the onion and the garlic (I use a big pinch of salt to grind mine then I don’t need to add any more as the parmesan does the rest.

Heat a frying pan (if it has a lid then great).
Add a tablespoon of oil and any meat you fancy. Fry until it is about half cooked and then add onions.
Once the meat and onions are cooked add the garlic and chilli and cook for a minute or so.
Add the wine and Oregano and let the wine reduce a bit.
Now add the courgettes, lemon zest, lemon juice and a good grind of black pepper.
Put a lid on the pan and let the courgettes cook. This will only take a couple of minutes.
Remove the lid and turn off the heat
Stir in a good knob of butter to help thicken the sauce, the double cream, chopped parsley and parmesan cheese.
Pour onto deep plates, top with basil leaves and eat.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I came up with this recipe the other night and it turned out to be delicious... I have called it. "Spiced minced beef Omelette"

Single portion of Lean minced beef
Half of an onion.
Red and green peppers.
Mushrooms.
a quarter of a courgette chopped
Tomato puree
2 cloves of garlic
a teaspoon of mild chili
a teaspoon of curry powder
2 eggs and a little milk

Fry off the mince meat in a frying pan
add all the above ingredients, apart from the eggs
put a lid on and continue to cook for 10 mins.mix eggs and milk into a bowl
then pour over the ingredients in the frying pan.
continue to fry without lid for a couple of mins, then finish off under the grill/

I really enjoyed this meal and boy is it filling. I was looking around in my cupboards and fridge and thought "Hmm what can I make for a change instead of vegetables" lol I hope that you try it out, and let me know what you think. : )

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Got this from YouTube and people are liking this, so thought that I would try it..Very nice well worth a try.

Total Macros for 1 serving (1 whole mug): Calories: 324 Net Carbs: 2 Carbs: 5 Fat: 28 Protein: 13 Fiber: 3 Recipe: Makes 1 serving. Ingredients: - 30 grams Almond Flour - 10 grams salted butter - 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder - 1 Egg Preparation 1. Mix all the ingredients in a mug (or bowl) 2. Microwave the mug for 90 seconds (if mixed in a bowl then transfer to the mug before microwaving the mug) 3. Overturn the mug and it will slide out 4. Slice and eat, or toast, or make a sandwich

Reactions: Joely

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(I finally have a recipe to put here!)

Cheap & Lazy Stuffed Peppers (to make with your kids)

This stuffing mixture will easily fill about 9 average-sized bell peppers. It takes about 15 minutes to prepare (longer if kids are involved, but that just adds to the fun). I tend not to measure when I cook, so these measurements are really just a guess - play around and add more of what you like. It will easily fill up 4 people, more if you're feeding kids. Serve with salad - we like lime-dressed cucumber and spinach leaves with ours. If some of the macros are too high (they fit well within my personal LCHF targets but everyone is different), strip out the nuts or swap the corned beef for mince - turkey or pork mince will need a little seasoning and some dedicated mixing.

Ingredients
240g tin Corned Beef
125g packet cashew nuts (salted or unsalted)
200g packet peanuts (salted or unsalted)
200g tube of tomato puree
2 cloves garlic
100g grated Parmesan (or more!)
100g grated mature cheddar
1 finely-chopped onion
1 dessert spoon Grain mustard
2 - 5 teaspoons Paprika
A good shake of Lea and Perrins (Worcestershire Sauce)
Cayenne / Chili Pepper if you fancy a bit of heat
Lots of bell peppers - any colour

Method
1. Pre-heat oven to about 170 (Gas Mark 3 / 325f)
2. Get a large roasting pan and fill the base with baking beads / scrunched up foil or grease proof paper (to keep the stuffed peppers upright)
3. Put the nuts in a plastic bag. Seal it. Get a rolling pin. Get a small child to bash it until the nuts are broken up.
4. Get another child to grate the cheese
5. Open the corned beef, put into a bowl, microwave for about 1 minute on high (makes it easier to mix)
6. Mash corned beef with a fork (another child!) and then add everything to it. It should look relatively dry. If it's a bit wet, add more Parmesan and less cheddar, and if it's really sloppy, add more nuts.
7. Prepare the peppers by slicing the tops off them (cut about 1.5cm down from the top to make a good, firm lid) and then pulling the cores out with your fingers, leaving a deep, open cup. Keep the tops (with the little green stems - they look cute!).
8. Fill your peppers with your corned beef mixture. Don't be tempted to over-fill; leave about half a centimetre of space from the top. Put the lids back on.
9. Put the peppers in your roasting dish, trying to give them all a little space around them so they cook evenly. The temptation will be to wedge them in so they keep each other upright - use the foil / paper / baking beads instead.
10. Bake for around 45 minutes or until you can't resist the smell of them any longer.

Costing and Best-Guess Nutrition (per 100g, Tesco.com as a reference for prices and nutrition):
340g tin Corned beef - £2.50 / Cals: 220, Fat: 13.5g, Protein: 25g, Carbs: >1g
125g salted cashews (I used cheapest supermarket own-brand) - £.75 / Cals 600, Fat 50g, Protein 20g, Carbs 20g
200g salted peanuts - £1 / Cals 650, Fat 54g, Protein 29g, carbs 10g
200g tomato puree - £.50 / Cals 100, Fat 0, Protein 5g, Carbs 18g
200g Parmesan - £2.50 / Cals 400, Fat 29g, Protein 33g, Carbs 0
200g Grated Cheddar £2.00 / Cals 420, Fat 34g, Protein 25g, Carbs 2g
1 brown onion £. 20 / Cals 60, Fat 0, Protein 2g, carbs 10g
Peppers (packet of 3) £1 / Per pepper: Cals 40, Fat 0, Protein 1g, Carbs 6g

Per serving of 2 peppers (assuming you don't need to buy seasoning) £2.60 / Cals 1250, Fat 85g, Protein 75g, Carbs 38g.
If you're only eating one (they keep very well and you can freeze them raw in an airtight bag) half those there numbers.

Enjoy!

Sock x

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
1 Courgette
mushrooms
half green pepper
a quarter of an onion
chopped green beans
some raw prawns
half of a lemon
half a teaspoon of garlic and ginger puree or to your taste
pinch of chili flakes
dash of soy sauce
butter

Spiralize the courgettes or use a potato peeler to make thin strips. put aside
Put some butter into a frying pan, stir fry the prawn's for a minute then put a side.
Throw onions, pepper, green beans, mushrooms into the frying pan, and stir-fry for 3 mins on high heat, add garlic and ginger puree, chili flakes, a dash of soy sauce. add prawns and courgettes and stir-fry for another 3 mins, then add the lemon..and serve on a bed of raw spinach. You can put grated cheese on top just leave soy sauce out.

robertjwalker

Fresh fruits and vegetable juices are well packed with vitamins and nutrients that are excellent for the body. Juice can come in pure natural form or can be a combination of mixed fruits.

Last edited by a moderator:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Topping for shepherd's pie.

Cut 1 cauli into chunks
Cook cauli for 10 mins, drain well
Chop 1 leek and fry with crushed garlic til soft
Put cauli and leek in a blender and blitz

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Topping for shepherd's pie.

Cut 1 cauli into chunks
Cook cauli for 10 mins, drain well
Chop 1 leek and fry with crushed garlic til soft
Put cauli and leek in a blender and blitz

I also throw in a little parmesan cheese and add some grated cheese on the top.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Chia seed pudding ABSOLUTELY MAGIC
250ml almond or coconut milk
50g chia seeds
1 tablespoon honey or some Stevia
pinch or 2 cinnamon
drop or 3 vanilla extract

Mix it all together, pour into jars, I made 4 from this. Pop in fridge, leave over night.
Top with berries, squirt of cream