Cholesterol question

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I've tried to google this but can't seem to find an answer - when I had my well person test (at which the AC1 was done) they also did a cholesterol test - which was 5.17 and HDL 1.70. For the HDL she put 'good' in brackets but I just wondered if the 5.17 is good also, or bad or middling?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A full breakdown of your lipid panel would help members to give opinions. The Total Cholesterol number even with the number for HDL is not really enough to say good bad or ugly. A better breakdown would include Triglycerides.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thank you. I will have to phone up for it as all they gave me were the above numbers.

Ask for a print out. All the details will be on there, including which tests you had, what the levels were, and what the required range is. The total is the total of the HDL, the estimated LDL and 46% of the triglycerides. (UK measurements). It is important to get all test result print outs. It isn't good enough just to be given odd bits of it. You need to know exactly where you stand, and be able to compare future tests to look for trends up or down. It isn't just glucose and cholesterol, kidney and liver functions are also important for us (including eGFR and Gamma GT). If you are in England you may find your surgery puts test results on line as they were asked to do in 2016. Worth asking about this and how to register for it.

Reactions: Alison Campbell