Aubergine or eggplant?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I'm getting different figures for carbs in cooked aubergine/eggplant.
In the Carbs and Cals book, raw ones are zero, yet on the web they vary.
What do we all think? Do they raise your BG?
If they're OK, has anyone got a recipeplease?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They don't raise me much, if at all; I eat them often coz they're quite hearty- a nice replacement for potatoes. I like them cut into thinnish wedges then fried in the wok with duck or salmon, so they soak up all the fat. Beef mince works well too: you can stew them with beef mince.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Cut into rounds bake for 10 mins, top with egg and grated cheese and chilli flakes. Bake until golden.

No spike.

D

Deleted Account

They don't have much impact on my BG although I have't tried eating them in isolation to check.
I tend to rely on Google ("carbs in ...") and scales rather than carbs and cals which suggests 6g per 100g ... so not a lot.
If I start to look around the interweb, I see what you mean by the variation but they are all pretty low.

In my mind, carb values are all estimates as it depends how they grow, how much sun they get, how much rain they get, what the soil is like, what fertiliser they have, what variety ... the only way I know of truly telling how much carbs is in food is to burn it to a cinder and weigh the resultant carbon.
That seems like a waste so I don't get hung up on one or two gram differences: the difference in insulin requirements is less than the variation I get because I've exercised more or less (or not at all).

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
They don't have much impact on my BG although I have't tried eating them in isolation to check.
I tend to rely on Google ("carbs in ...") and scales rather than carbs and cals which suggests 6g per 100g ... so not a lot.
If I start to look around the interweb, I see what you mean by the variation but they are all pretty low.

In my mind, carb values are all estimates as it depends how they grow, how much sun they get, how much rain they get, what the soil is like, what fertiliser they have, what variety ... the only way I know of truly telling how much carbs is in food is to burn it to a cinder and weigh the resultant carbon.
That seems like a waste so I don't get hung up on one or two gram differences: the difference in insulin requirements is less than the variation I get because I've exercised more or less (or not at all).
Hi, I don't like the idea of burning to a cinder either but didn't realise the weather conditions and growing would affect the number of carbs

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
How I use aubergines:
  • Cut into 1.5cm cubes, fry in olive oil. Serve hot on top of a veggie casserole or keep in the fridge for a day or two and use on salads.
  • Slice longways, grill. Arrange in a baking dish with alternate layers of sauce made from tinned tomatoes, garlic and oregano. Top with grated and/or parmesan cheese. (for full recipes, look for Melanzani Parmigiana)
  • Halve, score the insides and bake until soft. Mush up the inside a bit and then top with pre-prepared filling (eg spicy mince), top with some cheese. (Many recipes for this approach in Middle Eastern cookery).
Happy cooking,
Sally

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
How I use aubergines:
  • Cut into 1.5cm cubes, fry in olive oil. Serve hot on top of a veggie casserole or keep in the fridge for a day or two and use on salads.
  • Slice longways, grill. Arrange in a baking dish with alternate layers of sauce made from tinned tomatoes, garlic and oregano. Top with grated and/or parmesan cheese. (for full recipes, look for Melanzani Parmigiana)
  • Halve, score the insides and bake until soft. Mush up the inside a bit and then top with pre-prepared filling (eg spicy mince), top with some cheese. (Many recipes for this approach in Middle Eastern cookery).
Happy cooking,
Sally
Thanks, really yummy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chop up and throw into any soup, curry or stew.

They go beautifully soft and silky.
If blended in soup they give a gorgeous texture.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Peel carefully, chop finely, and they will fit nicely into the compost bin.:yuck:

Sorry, but I find the rubbery texture and general snottiness when cooked to be very unattractive.

Everyone else seems to like them, though.