changed meds due to cost

Sometime

Been cahnged from linogliptin 5mg to alogliptin 12.5 because it is cheaper but have been testing religiously to check the effect and my bg has doubled have given it a chance as have been on it 2 weeks now and feel awful, irritable and tired. Have been on the same meds for about 8 years never had a bg over 10 now they are up to 18 and never lower than 6. Due to go the diabetic nurse on monday so had HBA1C done last week but not sure the new drugs will have affected it yet which could be a problem

dipsydo

I do not take any meds and I am nothing to do with the medical fraternity but I did look up these drugs on internet from a point of interest . I do not know if the following is of any interest to you.

If I read your post correctly then you have been moved from 5mgm of linogliptin to 12.5 mgms of alogliptin .
There is is a note from East Lancashire health economy board comparing various gliptin drugs including a drug called linagliptin as well as alogliptin . The note is looking at cost effectiveness but interestingly seems to state that the equivalent of 5mgms of linagliptin is 25mgm not 12.5 mgm of alogliptin. As you are seeing your nurse on Monday if linagliptin is indeed the same as linogliptin might be worth asking her if the dosage is correct as this might explain your higher blood sugars .

Here is the an extract from the note and also the site details of where I found it

Approximate dose equivalence: alogliptin 25mg od: linagliptin 5mg od: saxagliptin 5mg od: sitagliptin 100mg od: vildagliptin 50mg bd

[PDF]Position Statement for Alogliptin
www.elmmb.nhs.uk/_resources/assets/attachment/full/0/17532.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: dbr10

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
thank you i had suspected that was the case will see what they say on monday

I hope Monday went well. At least you have followed instructions and monitored the results showing that your BG has increased. Hopefully the nurse will not just rely on the HbA1c, she must be aware that it only reflects the last 8 - 12 weeks so anything changed in the last 2 - 4 weeks may not have a major effect on the HbA1c.

It may not be of general interest but as my wife used to be a patent attorney, I was interested. I see that linagliptin patents are very complex in the way they are tied up with many other patents and in the way they change the method of synthesis and get a new patent. Some only a few years old.

All the best.