Season changes.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this has been discussed many times but to refine it a bit.

Do your insulin needs go up or down in cold weather and do you know approx when?
Mine have recently gone up and fastings are way up. Afraid to take more lantus as I’ve had hypos but not even close lately. It seems odd that it’s just been in the last month. It’s been very cold with whipy bitter wind lately. Isn’t this time of year a bit too late?
Although thinking about it our dec was very mild. Hm... thinking out loud

leahkian

When it is cold you do not do as much exercise or go out the house because of the dark night so you may need more insulin and vice versa in the summer. If you go abroad were it is really hot then insulin tends to work quicker which means you need to reduced the amount you take. I have always had a problem when the season change i will have a week of BS been all over then they go back to normal again, many consultants have tried to work it out but cannot find out why so i just leave it till it goes back to normal.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When it is cold you do not do as much exercise or go out the house because of the dark night so you may need more insulin and vice versa in the summer. If you go abroad were it is really hot then insulin tends to work quicker which means you need to reduced the amount you take. I have always had a problem when the season change i will have a week of BS been all over then they go back to normal again, many consultants have tried to work it out but cannot find out why so i just leave it till it goes back to normal.
Thanks So many views and no responses. It makes sence and Diabetes doesn’t lol. I’ll take it meal by meal.