NO veg please

wils

Hi All,

I've been reading a lot of the posts and looking up recipes as im now trying to go down the low carb route.
My problem is i loathe most vegetables. I've been brought up on potatoes and bread all of my life so its a lifestyle i have to change for the better.
So any ideas or pointers would be most helpful for this veg hating T2
I do love onions,mushrooms,cucumber,lettuce,chickpea,lentils and HATE cabbage,cauliflower, brocolli,carrots,sweetcorn, beans,asparagus, aubergine,beetroot,butternut squash,leeks,turnip etc etc

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I've been reading a lot of the posts and looking up recipes as im now trying to go down the low carb route.
My problem is i loathe most vegetables. I've been brought up on potatoes and bread all of my life so its a lifestyle i have to change for the better.
I do love onions,mushrooms,cucumber,lettuce,chickpea,lentils and HATE cabbage,cauliflower, brocolli,carrots,sweetcorn, beans,asparagus, aubergine,beetroot,butternut squash,leeks,turnip etc etc
There are 101 ways of preparing the vegetables you say you hate so maybe it was just they way you have tried them. Why not experiment with different recipes, cheese sauce can transform most green veg as a first step.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Melt butter, heavy whipping cream,mgarlic and a piece of Boursin cheese. Transforms everything. I love it on sauted mushrooms and chicken thighs

Have a salad for lunch and sauted mushrooms and onion for dinner with a salad.
Eat the other ones as snacks

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You've got the hate thing sorted then. I count myself fortunate that I have been able to eat anything that is put in front of me and there are not many things I dislike.
Do you hate them cooked, raw or both. Raw, for a lot in your list are good and quite different from cooked.
Tatties and bread are pretty bland in taste and texture compared to a lot vegs and yet you're good with onions. There must be hope, I would just try to have some veg, a small amount, with each meal, eat if first or mix it up and see how it goes. There are a really useful item if you are low carbing and dropping the tatties.

Jo123

My husband hates cauliflower but was agreeably surprised at cauliflower rice.
You could try that with a home made curry, you could add some spinach or chopped pepper to the curry.

Reactions: Smithford
D

Deleted member 308541

Why not experiment with different recipes, cheese sauce can transform most green veg as a first step.
It certainly can, my parents used the home made mint sauce trick on cabbage when I was a kid, it was a great help to me.

wils

Wow a great response to my first post.
I can eat carrots raw but its the feel and taste of those vegetables both raw and cooked in my mouth that actually turns me.
I have tried through the years various disguised veg with no luck. Sweetcorn actually makes me physically vomit im sad to say. Whether its a mental thing or not i don t know.
I'll certainly try the cheese sauce as it sounds yummy.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat carrots raw but its the feel and taste of those vegetables both raw and cooked in my mouth that actually turns me.
I have tried through the years various disguised veg with no luck. Sweetcorn actually makes me physically vomit im sad to say. Whether its a mental thing or not i don t know.
Sweetcorn is a grain, not a veg, so no great loss. Grains are something to avoid for their high carb values.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anything corn ( corn starch, corn flour etc ) tears my gut up. Always.
I can’t digest a lot of veggies as much as I love them all so I just eat the ones I do and forget the rest.

Reactions: Jillytee

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
There don't seem to be any or many veg you don't like, but I suspect you are not alone as there are many folk who after being raised on 'stodge' are in the same boat and it is hard to change ingrained tastes.
There are many recipes that elevate veg to a higher tastier level and if you do a bit of web research you'll find plenty.
Try celery stuffed with peanut butter or pate. Try roasting or grilling green veg rather than just boiling and add some lardons and/or spice - it makes for an entirely different taste and texture. Veg soups may be an option. You don't like butternut squash, but as a soup with peanut butter and chilli, you wouldn't recognise the squash as the base.

Reactions: hankjam

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like the zero carb route for you maybe with some mushrooms?
Meat (any) fish (and shellfish), cheese, eggs, butter any problems there?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi All,

I hate butternut squash too and aubergines. I never used to like broccoli either too.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Wils, welcome to the Forum - as you can see you will get a lot of advice here and it is up to you to sort out what is best for you....You will hear people talking about eating to your meter - cook a meal, test your blood sugar before you start to eat and then test again two hours later and see what kind of rise you get. If it goes more than two numbers above your first result there is likely too much carb in the meal. If I'm not 100% accurate on that, someone here will set us both straight:) Anyway, you may find it just too difficult to go to extremely low carb (20gm/day or less) so maybe start a little more slowly, like less than 100gm/day. I would suggest you have 1/4 cup of spuds to see how much you react sugar level wise.....some people can tolerate small amounts of your beloved potatoes, so see if you can. If not, then see exploring vegs as an adventure!! Cheers/L

Hopefully someone will tag Daisy who has a great deal of valuable info to share with newbies. And hopefully you have a meter for testing, if not I think Rachox has good info on them if you are in the UK.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Anything corn ( corn starch, corn flour etc ) tears my gut up. Always.
I can’t digest a lot of veggies as much as I love them all so I just eat the ones I do and forget the rest.

What about avocado ? Get the really big ones. They go savoury ( a splash of salt and vinegar ) or sweet with lashings of double cream and a little stevia. They blend well I blend them with almonds vanilla Essence and water for a great smoothie. You can add a few berries if you can take fruit or cocoa for the chocolate fix

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi welcome to the forum. Wow you are going to be restricted, in a similar way to my experience with a nut allergy.

The threat of type 2 definately had an effect on widening my diet and with age my tastebuds have changed so stick with it and keep looking to try new stuff.

Try to find a way of eating that is sustainable and providing the necessary nutrients while reducing the carbs is not impossible but will require extra effort.

Do you have a meter? If not do make getting one a priority.Are you on any medications?

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Hotpepper20000

Any veg roasted in the oven with diced bacon?

In all seriousness, no need to force yourself to like the veggies you don’t like. Start with the ones you do. Once your used to the LCHF you can try intoducing new ones. No need to try to change too much at once. Baby steps.

cristis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My problem is i loathe most vegetables.

Haha, I was like you, bro! :) What I found however over the years is that many things have an acquired taste. We hate some veggies because we got so used with loving sugar and fat from other sources, for instance.

Try to reduce the amount of sugar or salt for a while, and you'll experience a few days when the food has no taste. And you'll hate it. But once the mouth gets used with this, you'll pass through a neutral phase first, then you may end up enjoying them.

So I'd say try a few weeks with simply getting rid of the unhealthy (high carbs, sugar), be patient and wait to see how this evolves. First days may be awful, of course, but just be patient. My two cents...

Reactions: OrsonKartt

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
Cheese and onion omelette, cheese and mushroom omelette, cheese and pepper omelette. I eat lots of salad with peppers, grated carrot, lettuce, cucumber. I am practically a vegetarian but I don't like mushrooms or tomatoes so I'm quite limited too.
My branch of Waitrose sell Good Earth spanish omelettes and I can get away with 1/2 of one with fish and salad. But as been suggested, eat to your meter. I also get away with 80 - 100gm of new potatoes as long as I have them with fat, so mayonnaise or butter, and fish or chicken and salad. It's important to get a meter and see what YOU can tolerate.

Waitrose also sell a wide range of low carb soups - some under 10gm carb per 300ml and I find them useful for lunch.
Suz

sunburst69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

Try putting some of the veggies you don't like into a stew, soup, etc. Many of them will cook down or maybe just be more palatable that way. Stir fry might also work. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat or veggies in this case.