HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi and good night

What are the side effects of (metformin)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi and good night

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/metformin-side-effects.html

For me, apart from the initial "Metfartin" stage when I adjusted to it there don't seem to have been any side effects.

I know others haven't been able to adjust to the gut problems.

Some have reported muscle pain, although that isn't in the link above.

https://beta.nhs.uk/medicines/metformin/ is also a good read.

I did find a US based site which talked about hypos due to Metformin, and how to treat them, but this made me doubt the accuracy of the site because AFAIK Metformin doesn't usually lower your BG very much. The main role is to reduce the amount of glucose released by the liver, and reduce insulin resistance.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
But Does quality vary from country to country?
Because patients here complain of stomach problems

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t get any side effects now. Just had some stomach upset in the very early days.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Because patients here complain of stomach problems

Quality should not vary. It is a standard product and mass produced. You do have to be sure of a reputable supplier, though, as with all prescription drugs.

One thing I did note; I think that there is sometimes more internal reaction if the diet contains significant carbohydrates, so some of the reaction may be down to a specific diet.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

I would be wary of those numbers, because the nausea and vomiting percentage seems abnormally high.

Are you sure that these are long term side effects and not just an initial reaction until the body adjusts?

I'm pretty sure that, given that Metformin is one of the most prescribed oral drugs for diabetics, that if 26% had long term nausea and vomiting we would have read a lot more about it here.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Quality should not vary. It is a standard product and mass produced. You do have to be sure of a reputable supplier, though, as with all prescription drugs.

One thing I did note; I think that there is sometimes more internal reaction if the diet contains significant carbohydrates, so some of the reaction may be down to a specific diet.
I think the standards vary i'm sure

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Why do you think standards may vary? If you are getting your medicines from a proper, reputable source then the standard/quality and dosage will be the same in every country.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2
D

Deleted member 308541

I have never had any bad side effects with either Metformin or Metformin XR.

Metformin XR was in short supply early last year, so I had to have the fast acting Metformin instead.

I doubt it as it is a chemical formula, although quality might change in third world countries but I have no proof of that.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I reported side effects with my Metformin and statin treatment no note was made by the nurse I reported it to, nor by the second nurse I told - so as far as the medical profession is concerned I am non compliant as not taking a perfectly good medication, not only just getting back to not noticing the problems I was left with.

D

Deleted member 308541

When I reported side effects with my Metformin and statin treatment no note was made by the nurse I reported it to, nor by the second nurse I told
How come you never told your GP that Metformin was giving you problems?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How come you never told your GP that Metformin was giving you problems?

It never occurred to me - I had a lot of problems with my thinking almost as soon as I started to take the tablets, and I could not leave the house for days at a time due to the physical effects. I was very embarrassed about being incontinent.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Decrease in Vitamin B12 levels. This is listed as a 1 in 10,000 risk but my levels plummeted rapidly from high end of normal to very low end of normal within 3 months of taking Metformin. I supplement, eat plenty of eggs etc but still have trouble maintaining anything but a low level.

D

Deleted member 308541

It never occurred to me - I had a lot of problems with my thinking almost as soon as I started to take the tablets, and I could not leave the house for days at a time due to the physical effects.
I hope you have told your GP now though.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meformin caused me memory problems and pins and needles in my hands I stopped taking it as it only has minimal benefit for lowering blood glucose. A LCHF diet is much more effective.

Since stopping metformin my HbA1C has dropped from 99 to 41. Metformin can result in increased risk of alzheimers and should not be taken if you have problems with the liver or kidneys.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Meformin caused me memory problems and pins and needles in my hands I stopped taking it as it only has minimal benefit for lowering blood glucose. A LCHF diet is much more effective.

Since stopping metformin my HbA1C has dropped from 99 to 41. Metformin can result in increased risk of alzheimers and should not be taken if you have problems with the liver or kidneys.
Or it can protect against neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s, depending which bit of research you read!:
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/metformin-and-alzheimers-a-potential-new-therapy/

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope you have told your GP now though.
I have not seen my GP since diagnosis - in November 2016, I plan to go in to the surgery about April to see if I can get a blood test,but I am not hopeful.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin Is Manufactured By 118 different countries and has 258 Brands (Source http://www.medindia.net/drug-price/metformin.htm ) Note Manufactured In My view almost Guarantees some differences from time to time Not all countries have same hygiene standards as U.K. remember this is a GLOBAL FORUM. on the WORLD WIDE WEB facts often forgotten

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I have never had any bad side effects with either Metformin or Metformin XR.

Metformin XR was in short supply early last year, so I had to have the fast acting Metformin instead.

I doubt it as it is a chemical formula, although quality might change in third world countries but I have no proof of that.
I often find a difference in the quality of medicines between Europe and our countries Unfortunately