Has anyone heard of this issue?

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If it is true. then it is something the Authorities and the Manufacturers need to deal with As Far As we Are Concerned We Inject---Test --- and adjust our Insulin Dose accordingly.
I agree it should not happen but why worry about something we cant control. We have to control our Blood Sugar Level. which is Something We Can Control

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, but if the insulin is not in the correct concentration, it will be very difficult to inject the correct amount. I was thinking that this may go some way towards explaining the often anomalous results we have, despite doing everything correctly. If there’s an issue we need to know about it.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, but if the insulin is not in the correct concentration, it will be very difficult to inject the correct amount. I was thinking that this may go some way towards explaining the often anomalous results we have, despite doing everything correctly. If there’s an issue we need to know about it.
Since many people adjust their insulin when their readings are High. If the Insulin is weaker than it is supposed to be you would correct it by increasing the dose at the next reading. THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING maybe I am wrong ? if your results vary wildly whilst using the same pen its the diet not the pen in my view.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You don’t get what I’m saying, not all vials are equally as affected. This is a quality control issue. I am merely pointing it out for others who may not be thinking critically about either their diabetes or their treatment. If you have been very well controlled and suddenly have very odd numbers despite being well, and having done everything as usual, it may explain the issue. It’s also not all vials or cartridges. Just another thing to watch out for.....not everyone may be as knowledgeable or have your confidence. Merely pointing it out that this is a known issue and may or may not contribute to loss of control. Would you rather people didnt know?

Reactions: KiwiGill

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You don’t get what I’m saying, not all vials are equally as affected. This is a quality control issue. I am merely pointing it out for others who may not be thinking critically about either their diabetes or their treatment. If you have been very well controlled and suddenly have very odd numbers despite being well, and having done everything as usual, it may explain the issue. It’s also not all vials or cartridges. Just another thing to watch out for.....not everyone may be as knowledgeable or have your confidence. Merely pointing it out that this is a known issue and may or may not contribute to loss of control. Would you rather people didnt know?[/QUOTE
I do understand you point but I repeat We Diabetics have enough to worry about without worrying if maybe something you are making aware of but over which we have no control is maybe affecting our Blood sugar reading when adjusting your Insulin dose and if it does not we can look for other culprits that will correct it Remember Worry is a cause of stress can affect your Blood Sugar readings. so don't worry about things which are outside our control.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not particularly worried as I don’t think I’ve had this issue, but I do think people should be made aware. Far too many diabetics are guilty of sticking their heads in the sand already. With this condition every little bit of knowledge counts. If you don’t want to know, then don’t read, or try to poo-poo the idea just because you’re confident in your own treatment. There are a lot of people who are not. There are also a lot of people on fixed dose insulin, who don’t carb count and adjust insulin or even test their blood sugars at all, despite being on insulin. Not everyone is compliant about treatment, simply because they’re not given the correct information, even by so called professionals.......I’m putting the information out there, not burying it.

Reactions: KiwiGill

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Interesting post, @Zilsniggy . I think there was a similar thread about it recently but can't find it now.

From time to time, I've had situations where a batch just doesn't seem "right" but there's so many variables involved I've been unable to pin the blame squarely on the insulin.

However, I recently felt able to do so with a batch of Lantus. I know others have issues with Lantus but I'm ok with it. With this batch, though, it just didn't seem right from the start - I could clearly see on cgm a constant and pronounced rise starting after the last bolus ended. Played about with the dosage, changed vials, checked fridge temperature, wondered whether it was the aftemath of a cold I'd had for a week or so, xmas excess etc...

Then, in the course of a couple of days, it just went bat-sh*t crazy. On the Friday, ended up taking about 15 bolus shots to keep vaguely in line, then over Fri night Sat morning, this happened:

Screenshot_2018-01-13-15-32-51.png

The green lines show bolus wearing out, accompanied by a savage rise above 10, then me taking 6u shots, brings it back down, only to rinse and repeat when that 6u wears off.

Headed straight round to the chemist on Sat morning to get an emergency prescription for a new batch. Used the same dose, and soon started getting nice straight lines like this overnight - see period between 2 and 9 am in lower graph:

Screenshot_2017-12-01-00-06-27.png

Pretty clear evidence that it was a sketchy batch. Checked Argos but they don't do mass spectrometers! Chemist asked me to return what's left of the batch, so I'll see what comes of that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-11-09-17-31-07.png
    Screenshot_2017-11-09-17-31-07.png
    117.3 KB · Views: 183
Reactions: Zilsniggy

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Scott-C, glad it’s not just a figment of my imagination, and you managed to sort it out. I’ve not had any issues yet, except for mechanical problems with pen mechanism. I’ve had to have several batches returned. It certainly sounds as if you had an unsatisfactory batch. It would be interesting to hear the follow up from the pharmacy. Again, I’m glad you didn’t just dismiss it and think your diabetic control was at fault, and that you have returned it and made an official complaint. I just feel that we need to be made aware of these issues, unlike the previous poster who seemed to think that it didn’t really matter.