Eat Water Slim Rice / Pasta offer

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/eat-water-slim-rice-60007572

The "Eat Water Slim ... Rice / Noodles / Fettucine / Spaghetti range at Holland & Barratt is currently in their buy one get one for a penny sale. This works out at £2.60 for 2 x 200g packets. They warn that this sale is almost over, but I was unable to see when it does end. This range is attractive in that the ingredients are organic and are only Konjac flour and oat fibre (and water). Zero grams of carb per 100g, which may actually mean less than 1 gram carb per 100g.

For comparison, Zero noodles cost £2.29 for 200g, are not organic, and contain only Konnyaku Glucomannan flour (3.8%), food grade Calcium Hydroxide (0.2%) and water, of course. http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/zero-noodles-gluten-free-noodles-60003907?skuid=003907

I have yet to try the Eat Water range, but tonight I ate Zero noodles for the first time. I did not notice the famous bad smell on opening the packet. With butter and grated cheese I thought they were OK, but as I am never going to eat real pasta again, my standards are lenient. They are certainly filling. I ate half a packet with <50g courgette and 100g chicken and I was pogged. This made a change from feeling hungry, but another time I think I'd try eating just a third of a packet. Preparation is a doddle and consists mainly of removing some of the rinsing water and warming the noodles up. Above all one has the agreeable knowledge that one has just eaten something for nothing as far as carbs go.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The eat water slim ..... range are good. Just make sure you rinse them well as they do whiff ( its the liquid they come with not the noodles themselves)

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Offer ends tomorrow (Tuesday 23rd January) at midnight.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the info re the penny sale being on - Ive ordered some of the eat slim spaghetti ( my favourite in their range) together with a load of almonds, sunflower seeds and valerian tablets

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Offer ends tomorrow (Tuesday 23rd January) at midnight.
I ordered lots of packets of Slim Rice, Fettuccine and Penne online last night to beat the deadline, only to see today that the new offer on all of these (as well as spaghetti) is Half Price. So, exactly the same price as with the previous offer, but with the added advantage that anyone feeling dubious can experiment by buying only one cut price packet. I'm actually pleased, as I have now tried the rice and will definitely be buying more and eating it often. It is true it has no taste and rather an odd texture, but after dry frying it to remove some of the moisture left from the rinsing, I added it to chicken stock (with lumps of cooked chicken & mushroom) where the taste and texture of real rice would not have been noticable anyway and it was great. It meant I could use up the chicken stock and also feel a lot fuller than I would otherwise have done if I had just eaten the chicken and mushrooms alone.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update: after a spell at the outrageous full price, the Eat Water Slim range of konjac rice and pasta is back at half price in Holland & Barratt. A good thing for me, as I am still eating one or two portions daily.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/eat-water-slim-rice-60007572

The "Eat Water Slim ... Rice / Noodles / Fettucine / Spaghetti range at Holland & Barratt is currently in their buy one get one for a penny sale. This works out at £2.60 for 2 x 200g packets. They warn that this sale is almost over, but I was unable to see when it does end. This range is attractive in that the ingredients are organic and are only Konjac flour and oat fibre (and water). Zero grams of carb per 100g, which may actually mean less than 1 gram carb per 100g.

For comparison, Zero noodles cost £2.29 for 200g, are not organic, and contain only Konnyaku Glucomannan flour (3.8%), food grade Calcium Hydroxide (0.2%) and water, of course. http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/zero-noodles-gluten-free-noodles-60003907?skuid=003907

I have yet to try the Eat Water range, but tonight I ate Zero noodles for the first time. I did not notice the famous bad smell on opening the packet. With butter and grated cheese I thought they were OK, but as I am never going to eat real pasta again, my standards are lenient. They are certainly filling. I ate half a packet with <50g courgette and 100g chicken and I was pogged. This made a change from feeling hungry, but another time I think I'd try eating just a third of a packet. Preparation is a doddle and consists mainly of removing some of the rinsing water and warming the noodles up. Above all one has the agreeable knowledge that one has just eaten something for nothing as far as carbs go.
Thanks Alexandra, useful to know and also nice to have a new word for me "pogged"... love it

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
nice to have a new word for me "pogged"... love it
I learnt it when I immigrated here to the North of England in 1963. Another favourite is "sprog" meaning child or young person. Perhaps related to "sprig"? BTW I have never heard the phrase "a pogged sprog" but I'd love to.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update: after a spell at the outrageous full price, the Eat Water Slim range of konjac rice and pasta is back at half price in Holland & Barratt. A good thing for me, as I am still eating one or two portions daily.

Alexandra - Do you have any Chinese supermarkets near you? I don't have one locally, but I do have one I sometimes have meetings near to. The konjac noodles/rice in there are a fraction of the prices in H&B, and they have lots more shapes.

I'm not a big konjac fan, although I have been known to use it, but there's a lot more in there to tempt me, like great spices, and things like fresh turmeric.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have any Chinese supermarkets near you? I don't have one locally, but I do have one I sometimes have meetings near to. The konjac noodles/rice in there are a fraction of the prices in H&B, and they have lots more shapes.
Thanks for the tip, but I've already tried to find konjac in a big Chinese supermarket in town. I couldn't identify it by any pictures on packets, and the wording was all in Chinese! Anyway, I suspect I like the Eat Water Slim range so much despite the price (providing they're on offer) because they contain some oat fibre. The only other konjac noodles I have tried, which were pure konjac, seemed very odd by comparison with real pasta / rice, whereas these seem to me an excellent imitation. And they are organic, which does normally bump up the price. (Not trying to defend H&B's prices, which can certainly be much higher than elsewhere. Always worth checking before buying.)