hypo information please

Rox000

Hey everyone
Busy doing the BERTIE online course and just read the if you have a hypo the risks of having another increase in a 24hr time frame?? ...Why is that? Bertie makes no mention of why it is just that the risk is higher.....thoughts anyone???
cheers
Rox

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have a hypo you have an alpha cell response with the alpha cells in your pancreas releasing glucagon to tell your liver to release its glucose stores to correct the hypo. You have counter regulatory hormones released in response to a hypo - ie adrenaline which works in the opposite way to insulin by making you insulin resistant and raising your blood sugar. It's the adrenaline release that gives you hypo symptoms. If you have had glucose released from your liver in response to a hypo your body will prioritise restocking the glucose stores in the liver and this increases the risk that you will have another hypo because carbs that you eat aren't going to sit as sugar in your blood, they are going to be locked away in the liver while your body is prioritising the restocking.

Reactions: himtoo
D

Deleted Account

To add to the great answer from @catapillar, I find following a hypo my ability to detect the next one for the next 24 hours may not be a good so I have to be more alert and test more often.