Twice daily insulin & carb counting

Deadeye_Pete

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I'm on a twice daily insulin (Novomix 30) and I find myself eating to my insulin dose and not adjusting the dose to what I eat. I have some variation in my dose; usually +/- 2 units depending what I eat.

Do others find the same problem on a twice daily regimen?

I'm trying to get an appointment with the DSN to determine what the best regimen and education is for me, but I do feel a bit isolated from them.

I've started keeping a diary of carb intake, insulin dose & blood glucose so I can get some trend data to help explain to the DSN where I am with my BG levels.

For background, I was diagnosed in August following pancreatitis, so I'm a bit of a diabetic newbie.

Thanks for your help,
Pete

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My objective is always to reduce my insulin & medication as much as possible so whether taking insulin once or twice a day I try to eat to my insulin I Only increase my insulin if I know in advance that I am Likely to be unable to avoid foods that are Bad for me like going to a dinner party at a thai friends house Most curies have sugar and of course rice lots of unknown snacks etc

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Me me! I do one for breaky and one for lunch. Then zero carbs for rest of the day. Correction of 1-2 units now and then.
No fear of hypo when sleeping.
Of course there are days when I go out and succumb to carbs At night, but rarely.

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh by the way, there is no fixed regiment. If it works today, it might completely change in a week. I used to do 1 seriously heavy shot in the morning and slowly eat my breakfast and lunch. It worked amazingly for a week, my sugar looked so nice. Then hormones kicked in to block the dose because it was too strong and sugar went sky high for hours instead of coming down. So I had to break it into 2 injections. I’m on cgm so I can see everything that is happening so I change as my tactics as often as I need to.

Deadeye_Pete

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks both.
I'm still finding this all a bit overwhelming.

Sometimes I go to bed hungry and sometimes, like last night, i push the boat out with carbs and then wake up at 2.00 am with a hypo. Clearly some learning to do:)

I'm getting an appointment with the dsn soon and I'll chase up my regimen with her. I believe i should have been offered basal/bolus initially now I've read the NICE guidelines.

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks both.
I'm still finding this all a bit overwhelming.

Sometimes I go to bed hungry and sometimes, like last night, i push the boat out with carbs and then wake up at 2.00 am with a hypo. Clearly some learning to do:)

I'm getting an appointment with the dsn soon and I'll chase up my regimen with her. I believe i should have been offered basal/bolus initially now I've read the NICE guidelines.

Eat an egg before you sleep to help with hunger if you don’t want dose. Wear a cgm if possible. It helps a lot.

Reactions: Deadeye_Pete