Metformin stopped now blood glucose very high

alyinfrance

I was diagnosed with Type 2 18 months ago with HB1AC of 10.9 and have worked hard to bring my blood glucose under control with low carbing and exercise plus Metformin to the extent that I have had HB1AC reading of 5.9 since March 16. I moved back to the UK in December and had a check up with the diabetes nurse who I can't say I warmed to when her first message was that I was not allowed to test myself as I was Type 2 and it was pointless. I didn't argue with her as I have read a few posts here where people have been told the same thing. Anyway I fully intended to ignore this "advice" as testing has been the best way for me to control my disease. However she did say that as my HB1AC was 5.9 I should stop taking Metformin which I did. In the space of 2 weeks my blood glucose readings have soared and rarely dropped below 160 (8.9). I think that I should have gradually reduced my Metformin ( I was taking 1500mg) but I assumed that the nurse had more experience than me and I didn't argue. My question is will this settle down after a bit once I get used to not taking Metformin or should I go back and see her.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Assuming your diet/exercise regime hasn't changed then yes I'd go back and tell her, infinitely better than waiting 6 months for you next hba1c and damage being done for her to say you need to go back on it.

alyinfrance

Thats what I was thinking I would do - even though that would mean confessing to her that I still test. I am normally quite a confident person but I didn't want to argue with her about testing as she seemed to have all the answers - testing is pointless because you aren't on insulin so you can't change anything - you will get sore fingers from testing etc etc.- so I just nodded and agreed.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The Basis of any relationship with your Doctor or Nurse is Trust, you clearly did not trust your Nurse over the Use of Meter why should you trust them over your medication. Unless thing have changed in the Last 20 yrs. A nurse cannot put you on Metformin so why let them take you off It should be done by a doctor and then gradually over months and carefully monitored with Blood Tests (Which if you don't have a meter would be done by the NHS.)
As an aside Do Not Blame the nurse She was probably promoted to Diabetic Nurse with minimal Training None of which would be directed at Dealing with the Patients. and then because of the shortage of Doctors probably told to avoid bothering Doctors as much as possible

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So if you weren't testing you'd have never known until your next hba1c, hopefully that will be a lesson learnt for her! :nailbiting:

alyinfrance

I must say that logically if I achieved 5.9 with a combination of meds, diet and exercise take any one of them away and its bound to have an effect. Don't get me wrong I would be delighted to not have to take and meds but they must have been doing something and 5.9 is borderline anyway.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But your DN is wrong to say you can't do anything thing about your BS - you can, by altering your diet, and you need to test to check on what different foods do to your BS. If it's not costing the NHS because you are buying your own strips, then the nurse's opinion on is just that - her opinion. You, after doing your research, are allowed to have a different opinion. Get yourself seen by the GP and discuss your findings. It's your body that will suffer, not anyone else's.

Reactions: Grannypat

alyinfrance

But your DN is wrong to say you can't do anything thing about your BS - you can, by altering your diet, and you need to test to check on what different foods do to your BS. If it's not costing the NHS because you are buying your own strips, then the nurse's opinion on is just that - her opinion. You, after doing your research, are allowed to have a different opinion. Get yourself seen by the GP and discuss your findings. It's your body that will suffer, not anyone else's.
You are quite right about testing and thats exactly what I did to lower my BS. I tested before and after every meal and worked out what made my BS rise and then stopped eating it. My biggest find was that oven chips were OK for me but every other form of potato or carb was a big no no. Just being able to have that one carb is wonderful.

Reactions: RosieLKH

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would very calmly tell her that you understand entirely that the NHS does not want to fund your testing strips, but that you fully intend to continue testing as that has been the key to effectively managing your condition. And on this occasion it has alerted you to a potential problem well in advance of your next HbA1c.

And if the nurse doesn’t understand that, her opinion is not worth listening to and ask for an appointment to see a doctor.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe ask to see your GP anyway - Metformin doesn't reduce glucose in the blood, so something has changed, and nurses cannot diagnose or prescribe, as far as I know, nor can they order tests to be done.
Do you feel unwell with the higher levels?

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe ask to see your GP anyway - Metformin doesn't reduce glucose in the blood, so something has changed, and nurses cannot diagnose or prescribe, as far as I know, nor can they order tests to be done.
Do you feel unwell with the higher levels?

The DN at our GP centre can do all those things. I haven't seen a GP for my diabetes since I moved to this area 6 years ago!

hooose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with Type 2 18 months ago with HB1AC of 10.9 and have worked hard to bring my blood glucose under control with low carbing and exercise plus Metformin to the extent that I have had HB1AC reading of 5.9 since March 16. I moved back to the UK in December and had a check up with the diabetes nurse who I can't say I warmed to when her first message was that I was not allowed to test myself as I was Type 2 and it was pointless. I didn't argue with her as I have read a few posts here where people have been told the same thing. Anyway I fully intended to ignore this "advice" as testing has been the best way for me to control my disease. However she did say that as my HB1AC was 5.9 I should stop taking Metformin which I did. In the space of 2 weeks my blood glucose readings have soared and rarely dropped below 160 (8.9). I think that I should have gradually reduced my Metformin ( I was taking 1500mg) but I assumed that the nurse had more experience than me and I didn't argue. My question is will this settle down after a bit once I get used to not taking Metformin or should I go back and see her.
This happened to me, i went back and they put me on canagliflozin and it works brilliant ( for me)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My practice nurse can prescribe asthma meds so I'm sure metformin for high hba1c type2 diabetics too but I'm no expert on that subject. The dn is!

You've lost faith in your dn but that can be turned around. She/he doesn't know you. Get to know them better and discuss your diabetes. Not just listen.

Keep testing, no matter what. Your body, you're interested.

Metformin does only affect hba1c in very very small amount but does work as a appetite suppressant. Have you been more hungry? Or not eating the smaller amount common on your metformin?
I get the same when I stop metformin to avoid any symptoms related to lost electrolytes in kiddy given 24hr bugs.
Make an appointment with your GP. I'm sure he/she would prefer you on metformin on higher bgs.
However, if you think you can do more to not need metformin now you know why this has happened...go for it.
My body however needs metformin for pcos not just diabetes. A hairy, period missing, bloated ickihun isn't ever a happy bunny.
Some of us do. ;)

alyinfrance

Went to the surgery for another blood test ( not diabetes related) but asked for a BG test too - diabetes nurse was called in ! She stood in front of me and said "I told you not to test". This time I told her that I would be continuing to test as its my way of controlling MY disease and quite clearly something is not right as I am so tired again. All quite amicable but I was firm this time. Upshot is she did a BG and it was (166) 9.3 which is what my meter has been telling me for the last 2 weeks. She had the cheek to say that "we don't regard one off readings as significant" to which I replied "it isn't one off as thats what my meter readings are too". She ordered another HB1AC which should be back by end of the week and we will take it from there.

hooose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I now beleive my metformin "stopped working" because of bad eating advice from my diabetic nurse, i have proper researched everything now and i seem to have it sussed ( as far as you can!!) And have stopped my canagliflozin and am still in the 5.2 to 6.2 2 hour postprandial

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats what I was thinking I would do - even though that would mean confessing to her that I still test. I am normally quite a confident person but I didn't want to argue with her about testing as she seemed to have all the answers - testing is pointless because you aren't on insulin so you can't change anything - you will get sore fingers from testing etc etc.- so I just nodded and agreed.

Well she’ s right about the sore fingers :arghh:
Im getting that way where im not testing as much now