T1 Newly Diagnosed

Jordan Kehoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, I’m Jordan. I’ve been diagnosed Type 1 since December 7th 2017. Getting used to the injections and finger pricks now! So so tempted to self fund Libre until my local CCG has made a decision on prescribing it or not. Feel like I would get a lot from it and would help me stay in control. I’m feeling positive about having T1. Got to embrace it and turn everything into a positive. Just a bit of a shame I don’t have a local diabetes support group in Blackpool. So I’ll be using this forum for support & guidance as well as hearing about your inspiring stories which will help keep me going. I’m a chef lecturer and I really look forward to educating myself about T1. I then want to use my knowledge to educate my students all about this. I thank you for taking the time to read this and hope that I can inspire others whilst getting inspired from you guys.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a bit of a shame I don’t have a local diabetes support group in Blackpool.

Diabetes uk run a lot of local support groups. You can search for them on this page - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_...MI2beqg7Tp2AIV5p3tCh2s2AsTEAAYASAAEgLTG_D_BwE - they cover all types of diabetes and only 10% of diabetics have type 1, so before attending a meeting or talk with diabetes uk it might be worth checking with the organiser that it will actually be relevant to type 1s.

JDRF is a type 1 charity. Might be worth checking out their discovery days and events to see if there's any near you - https://jdrf.org.uk/get-involved/fundraise/events/?event_cat=type-1-discovery-days#postFilter

I’m a chef lecturer and I really look forward to educating myself about T1.

Like a lecturer in the culinary arts? If you're aiming to educate chefs about type 1, the only thing they need to know is how to carb count meals/recipes, and to be honest, myfitnesspal can do that. A type 1 diabetic can eat the same as anyone else, they just need to match their insulin to what they are eating, by carb counting. JDRF linked up with a restaurant in London recently to do a fully carb counted menu - https://fundraising.co.uk/2017/09/2...es-charity-develop-special-menu/#.WmS6Y-vfWrU

For educating yourself about type 1, get hold of a copy of the book "think like a pancreas" for a nice easily readable guide to the basics you need to know to manage type 1.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jordan Kehoe . Welcome to the forum.
I'm sure that any questions you have will receive an answer from some of the very knowledgeable T1's on this splendid forum.
Already proven above:).

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Jordan Kehoe , and welcome to a club you weren't consulted with about joining!

You mentioned libre. Definitely go for it if finances allow. CCGs are going to take a while catching up with it, so, for now, it's paying for it.

With strips, you're just getting a snapshot of where bg is at that point in time. It tells you nothing about where it's been or where it's going.

Libre/cgm is more like a 24 hour movie. We're dealing with a constantly moving target, so it just makes it a much fairer game to be able to see how it's moving in more or less real time and respond to that. Levels the playing field a lot.

With strips alone, we often find ourselves reacting once bg has gone seriously out of range, which often requires a sledgehammer approach, whereas with cgm, we can see things starting to trend out of range and then take small, subtle steps to tweak it back on track without any drama.

With strips alone, you'll often not know about a hypo until it happens, then you might overtreat, take too much sugar, end up high, take too much insulin to correct, end up low again, rinse and repeat - rollercoaster.

With cgm, you can very often spot a slow slide which would eventually be a hypo, and pin it with a modest 5 to 10 grams, so it gets nowhere near 4.

I'm reasonably content with being T1 and I attribute that to having libre. I'm a fairly cynical middle aged Scottish guy - most you'll normally get out of me is, "aye, it's no bad" - but I have no hesitation in saying cgm is a game changer. @therower has recently got himself kitted out with the cgm system dexcom, and has written in other posts about it being a revelation. I agree. We're both saying that after being T1 for about three decades, so this isn't a gimmicky novelty we've been led astray by.

There's an easy and cheap (well, cheapish, about £100) way of turning libre into full on cgm, with hypo alerts for night hypos, but I'll leave that for another post.

I admire your positivity. What I am about to say might read as a dampener on that, but far from it, it's more a way of fore-warning about a pitfall which often happens, and a way to maintain positivity.

We often see newly dx'd take two broad approaches. Some think they're now doomed, but eventually figure out ways of dealing with it. Others, like you, deal with it head on, read everything, learn insulin/carb rules, apply them rigorously, and think they've got a handle on it.

But then some weird stuff happens - unexplained hypos/hypers, the same meal/insulin responding in different ways two days running etc. etc. - and then they become disillusioned.

They're playing by the rules, so why isn't their T1? That's often the point where the previously positive start becoming negative.

It's easy to look at T1 and think about it in terms of precision and accuracy, which suggests control is simple arithmetic. But it's not. It's fine saying that 1u is needed for 10g, but the reality is that as soon as you put some food and insulin in your body, there's hundreds of chemical processes going on which will throw calculations out. We can't measure those.

I think it is important to understand that T1 is inherently unpredictable. Some people might duck for cover on learning that. But understanding that plays a part in maintaining positivity. I put a lot of effort into calculating boluses etc. but I know that it won't always work out right. If it doesn't, I sort it with some insulin or sugar.

All in all, I try to keep in mind that provided I'm in range most of the time, I'm massively reducing my chances of complications, so I don't worry too much about the occasional flyer.

I know that the inherent unpredictability will throw careful calculations out, but I accept that as part of what I am dealing with, have cgm ways of dealing with that, so just go with the flow without getting too hung up about it.

That way, I can remain reasonably upbeat about even though I know it won't always go to plan. Watch out for when you start getting frustrated about unexplained things happening, and accept that it's part of the game and not your fault. Managing the flyers is also part of the game.

Sounds like you're into reading up about it. Breakthrough...by Thea Cooper is a fascinating book about the discovery if insulin. Sugar Surfing by Stephen Ponder, and Beyond Fingersticks by William Lee Dubois are good for getting the most out of libre/cgm. They're all in kindle. "Pre-bolusing" and "waiting for the bend" - you ain't in Kansas anymore, Toto! Dubois's book was written in 2009 which is like prehistory in cgm terms - there's an amusing bit where he foresees people being able to see cgm on their phones. That now happens.

If all else fails, google Eva Saxl! Ended up in Shanghai during WWII, insulin supplies cut off after the Japanese invaded. She and her husband Victor made their own from water buffalo pancreata in a makeshift lab after finding some early papers developed from Banting's work. Whenever I feel narked about my T1 misbehaving, I imagine Eva, who I picture as an elderly Jewish grandmother in a Woody Allen movie, giving me a clip round the head, saying, "oy vey, you just go to the chemist to get yours, I had to make mine!"

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Welcome to our exclusive club. We have a very strict rule of admittance. If your Pancreas is kaput, your in.
I would be led by your D team. If you don't think they are any good keep looking until get a great GP and they will then introduce to a great support team.
CGM is great, but I would stay away from it until your D team recommends it. You have plenty going on at the moment without trying to chase blood glucose levels, you may not even be up to a full insulin dose yet. I would wait until your honeymoon and all that fun is over before you worry about CGM.

For me I find the CGM kicks my butt. Due to me stuffing up, I'm off the leash (CGM) for 4 days and I'm having a little too much fun with food (especially seeing I have a company credit card and can by whatever food I like or eat out within reason).

As far as your students that will be great, however don't forget us we are always on the look out for great recipes, and new approaches to food especially low in carbs, then let the arguments start, some say high in fat others say low in fat.

We are a very creative lot and collectively we have tried almost anything and everything related to D. Whatever you experience there will be a number here, that has experienced exactly that. This is a great place to learn from others failed experiments and then you will end up repeating them just to prove others failures. Just remember in our exclusive club we have all been where you are now and we survived and I would suggest most of us are now thriving. We can offer you something that in all probability they can't, we live it, they are just armchair experts, however they know your results and have a plan. Look at us as the naughty Uncle and we don't agree on much. Always keep in your mind, you have D, Don't let D have you. I have diabetes for my inconvenience, I'm not going to let it dictate and rule my life, except for the odd occasion when things go a bit crazy, but that is normally my early warning that I'm getting sick, cold, flu etc.

Reactions: porl69