Is this too much insulin?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on this MDI for about a month now this is what I've noticed and couldn't help but think i'm taking allot of insulin for the amount of carbs I eat.

Breakfast
Around 10u of NovoRapid for 45g of carbs keeps things in check until about 11 then things start to slowly rise to the 8s

Lunch
Around 10u of NovoRapid for 35g of carbs things never seem to go lower then 8 even 4 hours after.

Dinner
Around 5u of NovoRapid for 35g of carbs if I take any more insulin then that then I'm heading for a low. It's the lunch time I need to sort out, any ideas?

Lantus is taken in the evening at around the same time once a day.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you most active around lunch or any pecific time of day?

Exercise can either lower or raise us. It raises me

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i would suggest more lantus and less rapid but only after a review with your consultant. rapid is really only meant to control the carbs you eat. lantus is your main insulin to keep your bg under control.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise generally lowers me.

In the morning it;s the usual rush around walk to tube station and get to work stuff.
Afternoon is pretty much sitting around the computer working
Evening is usually
Training straight after work, back home, eat and jab and watch TV (every other day)
OR
Home straight after work, eat and jab and watch TV

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take my Lantus in the morning, always have. Have you tried that? Something about taking 25 units of insulin and going to sleep doesn't sit right with me. I don't think taking 10U of Novorapid for lunch is out of line. I take 8 for my morning cheese omelet, 7-9 for balanced lunch, and about 5-6 for lower carb dinner.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess I was a bit worried that taking like 10u for a 35g carb meal is abit excessive.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Three questions, what is your level pre breakfast? What time are you eating it and what are you eating for breakfast?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Three questions, what is your level pre breakfast? What time are you eating it and what are you eating for breakfast?

Just looked at and answered this question on your other post where you lay out your breakfast.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone is different when it comes to how much insulin you need. Honestly, no amount is ever too much if it works for you!

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the average a Type 1 diabetic takes 1 unit of insulin (total basal/bolus) per Kg body weight. I weigh 72kg, take 45U/d. So I'm pretty low at 0.625U/kg. Personally I don't think about 110g of carbs/day is excessive. But the Low Carb Club is pretty popular these days so some would say cut back. But you gotta eat something right? And something requires insulin either way.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On the average a Type 1 diabetic takes 1 unit of insulin (total basal/bolus) per Kg body weight. I weigh 72kg, take 45U/d.
I take a little more than that - about 50units and am slightly lighter (65-70kg depending on various things), but then I eat more carbs (prob about 180ish a day - gluten-free breakfast cereal is very carby!), so I guess it's not really a great surprise mine is higher :) - though it's still less than 1 per kg :)

Last edited:

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tell my cpeptide and GAD that. Lol.

As I said, I’m very low carb and eat snack sized meals 5 or 6 times a day
If I only took 6 units (I assume it's Lantus) a day that would be the end of me, no matter what I ate. It would probably be over if I didn't eat anything at all. Measure a serum insulin level sometime and don't take any that day. See what you get.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No. 4 humalog, 2 lantus.
I guess you know better than me about my management. I’d b dead if I don’t ok your doses.

Another case of individuality.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure, you can take minimal insulin because you're LADA, which I think refers to persons who still make insulin. If you made no insulin (like yo) you wouldn't be able to get away with that little. You take one of these guys who have been on shots for 40 years and try what you take and see what happens to 'em. Nothing good!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure, you can take minimal insulin because you're LADA, which I think refers to persons who still make insulin. If you made no insulin (like yo) you wouldn't be able to get away with that little. You take one of these guys who have been on shots for 40 years and try what you take and see what happens to 'em. Nothing good!
We’re going to have to agree to disagree. I’ll agree it’s my doc and my c peptide and GAD

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TheBigNewt @Kristin251

The OP started this thread as a one monther on MDI asking for people to comment on his/her insulin doses.

If the two of you wish to continue your disagreement, please do it by PM and stop derailing this thread.