Suggestions for protein on LCHF vegetarian diet

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've been diagnosed T2 this week, but have been LCHF for a month now as soon as I realised a diagnosis was likely.

I have resorted to eating a bit of salmon and tuna to increase my protein options which feel quite small so far; tofu, plain soya yogurt, eggs, eggs and more eggs and houmous. I also use a small amount of feta/goat's cheese because I'm cow's milk intolerant, and drink almond milk.

All the options I used to enjoy seem too high carb to risk at the moment - I made a low GI chickpea curry and then realised it was 40g of carbs a portion - I'm trying to stick to 50-60g a day. I love lentils but feel they will be a 'carby' choice too.

I have ordered a meter so next week will be able to check whether pulses etc spike me, which I suspect they will, but in the meantime what have you found works for you so far? Thanks.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
It's hard enough as an omnivore keeping carb intake low and maintaining protein but for a 'veggie' it must be much more of a problem. I'm sure some 'veggies' will pop up with some good suggestions but here's a suggestion from a confirmed meat eater who does low carb.
Look at green veg and alternative ways of cooking it. Roasting rather than boiling can add a completely different taste.
Butternut squash has lots of options. You can roast it or use it as a base for soup combined with peanut butter and spices.
Cauliflower rice is versatile and celeriac even more so, grate it and create 'hash browns' with the addition of a little cheese and any flavourings you fancy.
If you are not completely veggie, then there are many fish other than salmon to try and they are all low carb as are shellfish.
One of my favourite occasional treats is prawn saganaki made with prawns, tomatoes, chilli and roasted feta. Marinating the prawns in ouzo is optional but does add a certain je ne sais quoi!

Reactions: SueJB

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's hard enough as an omnivore keeping carb intake low and maintaining protein but for a 'veggie' it must be much more of a problem. I'm sure some 'veggies' will pop up with some good suggestions but here's a suggestion from a confirmed meat eater who does low carb.
Look at green veg and alternative ways of cooking it. Roasting rather than boiling can add a completely different taste.
Butternut squash has lots of options. You can roast it or use it as a base for soup combined with peanut butter and spices.
Cauliflower rice is versatile and celeriac even more so, grate it and create 'hash browns' with the addition of a little cheese and any flavourings you fancy.
If you are not completely veggie, then there are many fish other than salmon to try and they are all low carb as are shellfish.
One of my favourite occasional treats is prawn saganaki made with prawns, tomatoes, chilli and roasted feta. Marinating the prawns in ouzo is optional but does add a certain je ne sais quoi!

Thank you for these great ideas - love the idea of cauliflower hash browns!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe try cooking a cauliflower and then adding all sorts of herbs and spices to small bowls of it either in sprigs or chopped or mashed, or different cheeses, then warming the bowls in the oven to melt the cheese and perhaps brown it a little - golden it, is perhaps a better description - it might give you a few ideas on the possible tastes and textures.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe try cooking a cauliflower and then adding all sorts of herbs and spices to small bowls of it either in sprigs or chopped or mashed, or different cheeses, then warming the bowls in the oven to melt the cheese and perhaps brown it a little - golden it, is perhaps a better description - it might give you a few ideas on the possible tastes and textures.
Will do - thank you!

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Some hate it Some love it its normally a spread which I enjoy But I also enjoy it as a drink 1 tsp contains near 40% Protein add to boiling water and stir yes its Marmite can of course be used sparingly in gravies ,veggie stews etc not everyone's taste but hope it helps

Reactions: miahara

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Technically it is said we only need .6-.8 g of protein per kg body mass. For me 4 oz animal / Fish protein, an ounce of nuts and an ounce of cheese. Then I get more in avocado and veg. Good to go.. you don’t NEED loads of protein.
At least as far as I know anf live with

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might also want to check out the Lidl high protein rolls - plenty of protein and relatively low carb. I can fit the odd one into my 20g carb a day allowance so long as I plan the rest of the meal/day carefully.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to suggest nuts, seeds (especially flax), coconut, avodados and possibly olives?

You can use nut and seed flours to make your own muffins, bread, pastry, and pancakes,etc, (use goats butter?) and nut butters are good protein source too.

And looking at high protein veggies on Google (which it's well worth doing for this sort of information!): edemame beans seem to rank pretty high.

Robbity

PS Cashews are high in protein , and while also highish carb wise, contain resistant starch so shouldn't spike you too much - we had a thread about it a while back, and I actiually now as a result make a stir fry with them and shiitake mushrooms and asparagus, and don't see any particular spikes from that!

Last edited:

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I will embrace nuts and seeds more - years and years of eating a low fat vegetarian diet has kept me from eating the very things I probably should have had more of for a balanced diet - I'd been brainwashed into thinking avocados are the devil's work for instance.
I'm eating them now, but there's still part of my brain that is panicking about upping the fat - which is silly as the changes so far have resulted in a good weight loss. Old habits die hard I guess.

@Robbity Good to know about cashews - I love them but was worried about carbs, I will test them with my meter when it arrives.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To help put your mind at rest, avocados are probably the healthiest nutrient dense natural fat you can eat. I eat a whole one a day and thre bigger the better.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kristin251 Wow, that's great - I've been having half at a time a few times a week worrying 'somehow' too much would be bad, I need to reeducate myself more

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 Wow, that's great - I've been having half at a time a few times a week worrying 'somehow' too much would be bad, I need to reeducate myself more
I have been doing this for over 3 years. Not only does it keep my bs rock steady when I eat it with some protein but my lipids are stellar. Best they’ve ever been in my 53 years. And they keep me full and not hungry. I eat some with every meal. A big wedge.

I do eat animal/ Fish protein at every meal but small amounts. Like 2 oz at lunch and dinner and one oz bf. I take a piece of organic deli chicken it turkey and smash some avo in it and wrap it in a piece of Boston lettuce. I love my bf haha

It’s hard to unlearn what we’ve done for so many years. I’m unlearning dinner being the biggest meal. Now I’m making it the smallest. It takes concentration lol

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A very interesting read - I was eating a lot of rice cakes as snacks before changing my diet - they look to be one of the worst things on the charts they show!
Yes, if only it was written from a low carb perspective. For instance, beans are mentioned as a good source of resistant starch, but he doesn't say how much non-resistant starch they also contain. I'd love to think it was all right for me to eat beans (which do have to be cooked) and raw oats, but I suspect not. Especially as he mentions corn flakes as a good source of resistant starch. I can't believe they are suddenly low carb!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, if only it was written from a low carb perspective. For instance, beans are mentioned as a good source of resistant starch, but he doesn't say how much non-resistant starch they also contain. I'd love to think it was all right for me to eat beans (which do have to be cooked) and raw oats, but I suspect not. Especially as he mentions corn flakes as a good source of resistant starch. I can't believe they are suddenly low carb!
Good point, looking at the charts you'd think legumes, beans would be ok, but like you say they probably have too much starch in general for type 2s - this is where my meter which arrived today will come in handy as I can experiment with veggie whole foods - I'd love to be able to enjoy lentil soup again for instance, but we'll see...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good point, looking at the charts you'd think legumes, beans would be ok, but like you say they probably have too much starch in general for type 2s - this is where my meter which arrived today will come in handy as I can experiment with veggie whole foods - I'd love to be able to enjoy lentil soup again for instance, but we'll see...
Not sure what’s in your soup but sometimes tweaking things help. Like a few less lentils and some low carb veggies, adding butter or full fat cream, not blending etc. Sometimes I use a soup base as more of a gravy and cover my protein in it. More like a stew. Minimizes the portion

Reactions: eggs11