Slimming world with T1 diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anybody else done the Slimming World diet plan successfully with T1? I’ve lost 2 stone so far with it and have another stone to go till my target weight, only times I have hiccups are if I have a hypo and then have to eat loads to get my bloods up again. Anybody else struggle with loosing weight when having lots of hypos?
One benefit so far is that I’ve decreased at least 6 units off my basal rates from naturally eating less carbs

Reactions: novorapidboi26

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I am not sure about T1 as I am T2 myself but when I was onthe X PERT course, the instructor did say thatthe SW diet was a good diet just not great for T2 due to the amount of carbs - pasta, rice, starchy vegs.
My Wife follows SW (she is not diabetic) and has a lot of success in losing weight on it.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've done it a few times and it works wonders for the weight but more so for the blood sugars.........

usually after a period of adjustment the hypos will reduce once you readjust your basal.....

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I lost six stone doing SW a few years ago, but wasn’t taking great care of my diabetes at the time. Now that I am trying hard to get my HbA1c down I’ve put almost two stone on in six months. I went back to SW last year but found the eating plan just wasn’t working for me any more and I’m totally stuck. I want to lose that two stone before the weight gain gets out of hand...

Rosieroo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone i know does great on slimming world but I don't really understand it and didn't think it would be good for type 1s cos of the carbs

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You can eat a lot of meat instead of the unlimited pasta, rice etc. Problem for me is that I’m allergic to meat, and all the substitutes are either quite carby or full of syns. I could use my entire day’s allowance on one avocado... :confused:

Xena786

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just recently joined SW and have type 2, need to lose the weight, it’s all about speed foods.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have just recently joined SW and have type 2, need to lose the weight, it’s all about speed foods.
I wish you every success! If you can eat the full range of the free and speed foods they suggest (I can’t), you’ll do very well. The chocolate orange Hifi bars are lovely too :)