Tennis Players

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tennis discussion for all tennis players (either T1, T1.5 or T2, Pre-Diabetes etc).

Let’s share experiences please...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love to watch Tennis (especially Wimbledon) but can’t play to save my life! :joyful:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tagging in @RFSMarch on this one..

Not my bag, other than hitting a ball across a field for a dog to chase....

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a tennis writer by trade... and in my head my single-headed-sliced backhand is just like Amelie Mauresmo. In reality... it is me wantonly hacking to death a poor defenseless tennis ball. Much like my golf technique.

Which is why I make my living WRITING about it, and not playing it!

But seriously - because I am busiest when the weather is nicest for playing tennis, I find it hard to get to pay and go sessions with my local instructor, which is a pain!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a tennis writer by trade... and in my head my single-headed-sliced backhand is just like Amelie Mauresmo. In reality... it is me wantonly hacking to death a poor defenseless tennis ball. Much like my golf technique.

But seriously - because I am busiest when the weather is nicest for playing tennis, I find it hard to get to pay and go sessions with my local instructor, which is a pain!

Cor! Just think, you may have even seen and written about the OP, he plays tennis at competition level.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cor! Just think, you may have even seen and written about the OP, he plays tennis at competition level.

From what I have read about him in other posts I think unless he has competed at Masetrs 1000s or Slams, as I mainly cover the Women’s tour I would have thought it was unlikely, I am trying to think who it might be from the lower tiers but often to keep costs down as I am self employed, I have to forgo qualification rounds so may we’ll have missed him at the bigger tournaments.

Happy to be proved wrong and better, I am starting to write about my experiences travelling the Tennis circuit as a diabetic... so if @NewTD2 Wants to reach out and collaborate in a series of articles I would be more than happy.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Where do you play?

I used to play semi pro level but since I was diagnosed I had to stop.

Would really love to get back.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where do you play?

I used to play semi pro level but since I was diagnosed I had to stop.

Would really love to get back.

I play in Ham and actually hoping one of my besties can get into a club around the corner from my house so that when I am home I can play a bit again. But at the moment my schedule is:
Aus Open (flying Monday to get over jet lag and be there for the draw)
Indian Wells
WTA Stuttgart
Madrid
Roland Garros
WTA Birmingham
Eastbourne
Wimbledon
WTA Montreal
Cincinnati
Maybe the US Open if they accept us for the first time
WTA Finals
ATP Finals.

That doesn’t include any possible Davis Cup or Fed Cup depending on where they are.

So my time to play tennis is really curtailed to the murky months which is not at all ideal!
I also now freelance when I am home on a sports desk for a major sports site and shifts can be either super early or lates... so that adds to the challenge of making it a regular thing so most of my cardio now is on a treadmill and spin bike at home.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I play in Ham and actually hoping one of my besties can get into a club around the corner from my house so that when I am home I can play a bit again. But at the moment my schedule is:
Aus Open (flying Monday to get over jet lag and be there for the draw)
Indian Wells
WTA Stuttgart
Madrid
Roland Garros
WTA Birmingham
Eastbourne
Wimbledon
WTA Montreal
Cincinnati
Maybe the US Open if they accept us for the first time
WTA Finals
ATP Finals.

That doesn’t include any possible Davis Cup or Fed Cup depending on where they are.

So my time to play tennis is really curtailed to the murky months which is not at all ideal!
I also now freelance when I am home on a sports desk for a major sports site and shifts can be either super early or lates... so that adds to the challenge of making it a regular thing so most of my cardio now is on a treadmill and spin bike at home.

Fantastic and what is your current ranking?

How do you increase energy? Are you on a low carb high fat diet (lchf) ?

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic and what is your current ranking?

How do you increase energy? Are you on a low carb high fat diet (lchf) ?

I don’t have a ranking. Just a casual player. I am a journalist by trade.

I eat low carb when I can (at home) otherwise when I am away I try and take bars and Cup soups with me and then I am at the mercy of the Media centres and the 14 hour days that covering a tournament often throws at you. I do not do intermittent fasting as I found out early on in my career that it just does not work for me when you are generating content all day every day.

I have no cartilage in my knees after years of being a 400m hurdler so me exercise has to be tightly controlled with strengthening exercises to keep my knees functional. The stone and a half I lost before I was diagnosed helped as that took a lot of weight pressure off the knees. For me the issue is time. As part of my own business I run my sports site and a company site, I work sportsdesk shifts and I work for an IT guy in the area I used to work in for 20 years before I took voluntary redundancy to train to be a journalist.

I use a flash glucose monitor but know when my sugars are dropping as my concentration dips quite markedly so tend to have breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a couple of snacks.

When I was diagnosed I had super high A1C, high blood pressure and high cholesterol and it was pretty overwhelming so I concentrated on learning to love Low GI foods, and then after 3 months when my A1C was almost halved, my cholesterol and FBG were close to normal, I started to try out low carb dinners as I was already having pretty LCHF breakfasts. Lunch when On shift is a challenge, and this will be the first full year I am on the Tennis circuit as a diabetic.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I started playing tennis as a 6 year old (I’m now 54)

I played all the hours I could as I loved it

Now I hardly play at all maybe a couple of times a year

I played badminton and squash too

At 13 to 16 I played junior county tennis and inter league tennis as a senior

Sadly my mojo for all sports I used to has gone

Tennis once or twice a year, badminton, squash and Tae Kwondo have all left me and left me for good

I stopped playing team tennis aged 40 and I now start each season hoping for a revival but it soon peters out after a few visits to the club

They keep asking me to play for the teams as a floater and I’m afraid I don’t want to do so

My first racquet was a wooden Slazenger then a wooden Dunlop max ply then I moved into metal ones (Prince, Stuart Surridge, and then Prince again) I have ‘Head’ now one in the car boot and one in the house, I no longer have any badminton or squash racquets

Favourite players of mine are:

Men - Borg, Connors, Agassi, Becker, Edberg, Leconte, Sampras, Federer

Women- Evert, King, Barker, Wade, Goolagong, Graf, Davenport and both Williams

Never took to McEnroe, Lendl, or Navratilova but they were extremely talented I just don’t like them, same goes for Murray (sorry)

Reactions: Struma

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started playing tennis as a 6 year old (I’m now 54)

I played all the hours I could as I loved it

Now I hardly play at all maybe a couple of times a year

I played badminton and squash too

At 13 to 16 I played junior county tennis and inter league tennis as a senior

Sadly my mojo for all sports I used to has gone

Tennis once or twice a year, badminton, squash and Tae Kwondo have all left me and left me for good

I stopped playing team tennis aged 40 and I now start each season hoping for a revival but it soon peters out after a few visits to the club

They keep asking me to play for the teams as a floater and I’m afraid I don’t want to do so

My first racquet was a wooden Slazenger then a wooden Dunlop max ply then I moved into metal ones (Prince, Stuart Surridge, and then Prince again) I have ‘Head’ now one in the car boot and one in the house, I no longer have any badminton or squash racquets

Favourite players of mine are:

Men - Borg, Connors, Agassi, Becker, Edberg, Leconte, Sampras, Federer

Women- Evert, King, Barker, Wade, Goolagong, Graf, Davenport and both Williams

Never took to McEnroe, Lendl, or Navratilova but they were extremely talented I just don’t like them, same goes for Murray (sorry)

Hi mate

Can we please have a private chat?

Cheers

Andrew

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm awed by @NewTD2 and @RFSMarch, the way they are "playing through" the T2D issue. I'm a former new-agency journalist myself (including sports) and very bad amateur tennis player. The last time I played, 14 years ago, I broke my hip and the surgeon who fixed it announced that my tennis-playing days were over!

My favourite players are similar to the list from @Cumberland....

Edited to add: My hip fracture was on a hard court. I was jumping sideways for a net shot and crashed into the fence at the side of the court.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm awed by @NewTD2 and @RFSMarch, the way they are "playing through" the T2D issue. I'm a former new-agency journalist myself (including sports) and very bad amateur tennis player. The last time I played, 14 years ago, I broke my hip and the surgeon who fixed it announced that my tennis-playing days were over!

Edited to add: My hip fracture was on a hard court. I was jumping sideways for a net shot and crashed into the fence at the side of the court.

Oh that’s awful for you I’m so sorry

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh that’s awful for you I’m so sorry

It was a happy ending. I was in my late forties, which is just "young enough" for the hip to be fixed in place with long screws that were removed later. Had I been over 50, the surgeon said, he would probably have implanted an artificial hip. The hip is fine now, it's just that I'm not supposed to put heavy strain on it. So I avoid running on hard surfaces, or anything that involves sudden movement of that leg, but otherwise it's fine.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Oh bless you - and always glad to hear from a fellow (sports) scribe too! I am going to pen a little thread in a bit about my first tournament of the season with my diabetic options!

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hard luck Kyle Edmund you have played exceptionally well in Melbourne
His world ranking will go up to an all time high

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I read his ranking will climb up to 25 in the world!

Congratulations Kyle!!!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Amazing Semi Finals Australian Open 2018

Halep vs Kerber