1st Christmas as a Diabetic

hallii

It's aleady been touched on, but the name of the game is portion control.

Instead of a full sized mince pie have a mini one, brush the sugar off, have a pork pie but leave the pastry, eat as much lean meat as you like, have some roast potatoes but use new ones in the skin and just have 2 -3. Boiled carrots are better than roast parsnips, cauliflower is better than sprouts, cheese and a couple of biscuits is better than Christmas pudding, Sugar free jelly and double cream is low in carbs, Drink red wine in moderation. Suits me, and guess what? Visitors often say "can I have some of whatever it is that I am eating, I am fed up with all the stodge".

H

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
EXSMOKER said:
This will be my first Xmas since being diagnosed with Type 2 in January of this year.
Last Xmas I was eating a tin of Roses in two days, as well as all the other Xmas "goodies" so God knows what I am going to do this year ?
Maybe a gag will be the only solution.

Is that how you gave up smoking? :lol: :lol: :lol:

rpage

My first Christmas as a diabetic since Sep. And I start Metformin tablets tomorrow. For me Christmas is about enjoying my family, time to chat, to slob out and for us all to recharge the batteries. But I have opted for a lifestyle change and the new diet, the new recipes my wife has formulated are awesome. My 24yr son and 22yr daughter have both opted to accompany me on my lifestyle journey although they still have chocolates and other goodies. What I really appreciate is they do it discretely so as to not make me feel I am missing out.

But hey I still have two squares of 85% cocoa chocolate as a treat now and then. I also try to mitigate the effects of a treat by timing them before I take exercise that way I try to burn off the sugar!

I am not a saint but I really have taken to heart the information from my Doctor that the more I manage my diabetes the better, as it helps to push out the timeline for future complications. I saw an eyeopening programme on diabetes on Sky's "The Hospital" and it hit home how devastating diabetes can be if you don't take it seriously.

I was wondering if I wrote to Santa ....

cymraes

Well said, rpage!

As a Type One diabetic since 1971, I would concur with your comments that diabetes involves a lifestyle change. A diabetic cannot have "a mini mince pie with the sugar brushed off" because you are still consuming sweet pastry & fruit cooked in sugar, and just because you leave the sugar out of custard doesn't make it suitable for a diabetic - it's still starch!

So please diabetics concentrate on the food you can eat, stop focussing on food that you know you should not be eating and stop playing Russian Roulette with your health!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
cymraes said:
A diabetic cannot have "a mini mince pie with the sugar brushed off" because you are still consuming sweet pastry & fruit cooked in sugar, and just because you leave the sugar out of custard doesn't make it suitable for a diabetic - it's still starch!

So please diabetics concentrate on the food you can eat, stop focussing on food that you know you should not be eating and stop playing Russian Roulette with your health!

Really.......! :(
Well this Diabetic can have a mince pie WITH the sugar on, and have proper custard or a dollop of cream. No problem at all. Bg levels are all well within targets, no more than 7 mmol/l .......starch isn't a 'poison' if treated with respect.......just watch the quantity. Portion control allows a Diabetic to eat 'normal' things.....just in moderation. :)

No Russian Roulette for me, just a methodical and considered approach to lifestyle.......oh yes, and quality of life too......... :D

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a Type One diabetic since 1971, I would concur with your comments that diabetes involves a lifestyle change. A diabetic cannot have "a mini mince pie with the sugar brushed off" because you are still consuming sweet pastry & fruit cooked in sugar, and just because you leave the sugar out of custard doesn't make it suitable for a diabetic - it's still starch!

mini mince pie complete with sugar about 11.5 g carb
50g custard another 6g carbs
OK not the healthiest form of carbs .Not good to eat frequently , diabetic or not but in reality for me that would only need an extra 1.3u of insulin as a pudding after lunch. Hardly excessive.
Alternatively something like that would be an ideal sized snack, to make up glycogen reserves after a run or even at the half way point during a Boxing day walk. ( There would be no insulin needed then )
As Ken says, everything in moderation and If you work out the best time for these 'treats' definitely not a form of Russian roulette

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well said Phoenix, a occasional treat is not out of question and more-so at this time of year! :)

Nigel

cymraes

To cugila: perhaps you can have a "mince pie with sugar on & have proper custard etc" but you are misinformed if you regard a bg level of 7 mmol/l as good. Most health professionals recommend a bg of no more than 5 mmol/l.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
cymraes said:
To cugila: perhaps you can have a "mince pie with sugar on & have proper custard etc" but you are misinformed if you regard a bg level of 7 mmol/l as good. Most health professionals recommend a bg of no more than 5 mmol/l.

Ah, I am sorry but you see that is where you are misinformed. The figure of 7 mmol/l quoted is the highest it would ever be 2 hrs after a meal. usually it is around 6 mmol/l or less. The 2010 guideline levels 2 hrs after meals are no more than 8.5 mmol/l (Type 2), Type 1 no more than 9 mmol/l. Fasting levels are between 4 - 7 mmol/l, so if I did happen to reach the dizzy heights of 7 after a meal I would be quite happy. Target levels in any case vary with the individual and what is agreed with their own HCP. Perhaps yours has given you a more ambitious target.......

My HCP recommends that my levels after meals should be kept between 5 - 7, They usually are. If I go any lower than that, less than 4.5 I would start to feel hypo symptoms as my hypo awareness is good.

I am intrigued to know why you think most HCP's recommend a Bg of 5 mmol/l. Who is that ?
When would that be, Waking, pre meal, post meal when......

cymraes

To cugila. My HCP advises a fasting blood sugar of 5mmol/l but never less than 4.0mmol/l. I have been advised that my target blood sugar 2 hours after a meal should not exceed 7.0mmol/l. I am Type 1 diabetic.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Thanks for that.
So there is not much difference really then. I was talking about post prandial numbers and you were talking about a fasting level, which should be between 4 - 7........glad we got that sorted.

We may be different types but I think we are both 'singing from the same hymn sheet.' :)

cymraes

to cugila: Yes, the object of both Types 1 & 2 diabetics is to manage the condition & prevent future complications such as retinopathy. Perhaps my Hospital Consultant is stricter than most but he has kept me on the straight & narrow for 39 years without (as yet, touch wood!) any major complications.

Anyway, now that we have reached agreement, may I wish you a very Merry Xmas & hope that you have a Happy & Healthy New Year (one mini mince pie, no custard mind you!)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Thank you cymraes. :)

A Happy Christmas and a Prosperous and Healthy New Year to you too ! :D

BTW, I bought the Mince Pies today.......and some cream......and some Brandy Butter !!! :wink:

I know ......I'm baaaaad ! :lol:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I hope you enjoy them. It's more fun being baaad :lol: I intend to be too :)

DazG

I have just been out to buy a Strawberry compote trifle, christmas cake, christmas pudding, and brandy cream. All for Christmas day, i'm going to have a tiny bit of each.

Also got some beef dripping and goose fat for my roasted potatoes, its going to be a naughty day in this house, but Im going to enjoy it because i'm an angel foodwise every other day and Id hope that one day out of 365 isnt going to kill me :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Daisy, Daz........ :D

I've had Diabetes for 14 yrs nearly and I have never let it get in the way of a celebration. I join in with the fun and festivities whenever they happen, it isn't the normal behaviour......I eat like a mouse most times, yes including cheese !

I shall also be partaking of some chocolate too......... :shock:

What really gets to me is all this talk about not having anything traditional, looking for a flaxseed Xmas Pud, a Soya Turkey burger, a nut roast.......it goes on ! :shock: It may be 'fun' for some....
Just not for me.

Xmas is one day, OK I will probably eat a bit more over the Xmas and New Year........it isn't going to kill me.......just get on and enjoy yourselves, then at the end of it all come back here and moan and groan about how bad you were. We will forgive you, well, I will ! :D :lol:

Have a great Xmas both, and a healthy and prosperous New Year....... :wink:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Thanks Ken, and the same to you and Sue. :)

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone, Merry Christmas.
I've taken the plunge this year and treated myself. I've gone 3 years and 2 Christmas's without having any sugar.
We've just moved house, and talk about stress! Anyway, today I thought to hell with it, so I had a normal Christmas lunch, and treated myself to a heaped desert spoon of Xmas pudding and custard made with sweetner.
I tested after 2 hrs and to my delight - only 6.4. Three hrs - 5.2. :D

Joely

markd

Xmas dinner

One of the few days in the year when I let myself completely off the leash!

2 hours after xmas lunch, turkey, potatoes, cranberry, veggies and champagne followd by far too many chocolate biscuits (got carried away - almost half a box of M&S light and dark ones).

Same at 3hours too.

Happy Christmas everyone - and a well-controlled New Year!

Mark

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Well done Joely - you must be so pleased. Have a lovely Christmas then go back on the wagon like the rest of have got to do too :wink: This shows that you can have an occasional treat providing you're careful. I too had some Christmas pud but was a little higher than you - 6.8 at 2 hours after - well within limits though :)