New diabetic struggling with meals

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I envy those of you who love all types of non-processed food, fresh foods, or have adapted to them ... and have the time to prepare what you need. As we age change is hard. Decades of "sinful" foods that tasted great, sugars/candy/pop being part of almost daily consumption, and being mostly a "meat and potato" and loving desserts type person, really challenges a diet reversal. That said, I do not eat a lot - never have. 6 feet tall (1.83 metre - 183 cm) and dropped from 208 pounds (14.8 stone) down to 173 pounds (12.3 stone) over the last year and a half. Target right now is 170 lbs (12.1 stone) and then down to 165 lbs by end of this year latest. Weight isn't my issue but I feel better losing a few pounds of weight. Diabetes is a family inheritance of many generations on my mother's side (she is 92 and type 2 on insulin), and all 3 sisters (younger than me) have type 2. I will be 70 in June. Genetics on my mother's side keep us all looking younger than we are :)

For me a morning reading of 5.4 to 5.8 mmol is low and I feel it. Used to be in the 8 to 9 range but Jardiance helped in that. Most mornings now are 6 to 6.8. Breakfast is a BOOST Diabetic drink/shake. 14 carbs and a lot of vitamins/minerals. Lunch might be a Tuna sandwich using Weight Watchers 2 slices of Whole Wheat with Quinoa (14 carbs). Dinner/supper varies and there are snacks in-between and at bedtime (example: Cheddar cheese and crackers, or toast and peanut butter and no sugar added jam). Sweet treats are zero sugar chocolates or Coke or Pepsi Zero sugar soft drink. I used to drink a lot of Coca-Cola. OK, OK, plus the occasional sinful whatever. Never been one for lots of veggies and a lot of them bother my mild IBS.

I am sure that the vast majority of Diabetics are occasional "sinners", and many with extreme challenges to change how they eat. This is why I comment as a non-strict diet person that warns about common foods that most people are used to in today's society. I attend the occasional Diabetes "education" sessions and every time hear so many different stories and challenges and frustration. Many in denial. Many do not check their levels - maybe scared to. Each time different people with some being very quiet and just listening, some seem to be ashamed that they are Diabetics as if it is the plague, and some (very few) could tell you how many carbs are in anything and keep a diary on what they eat, the foods they use, and how many carbs per certain size serving. Some use medications (those that do use Metformin), some on insulin. I use Jardiance and very pleased with the results. Many many more Type 2 than Type 1. I often feel like standing up in the front of the room and saying, "My name is James and I am a Diabetic", hoping that the shy ones would be more open, receptive, and share.

I still work and love it (knowledge worker for a training company and work from my home office online all day long). Except for the recent extreme Winter weather, our 4 dogs (small, medium, large, and extra large) keep both of us exercised with walking them a few times each day. Living in a 3 floor townhouse is like having a built-in stairmaster for exercise all day long.

This forum has been my biggest source for information gathering and for awhile I just sat back and read many questions, answers, pros/cons, and different opinions. I started using the Dario as my testing device, because of this forum, and love it (I'm a techie guy so it fit right in).

This thread about struggling with meals has brought out many great comments, experiences, and recommendations.
There are more carbs in your lunch time sandwich than in my entire days food. This is why I eat nothing preprepared.

1932dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use twice baked potatoes,i.e. roasted first ,cooled and reheated pref. the following day. It alters the carbs.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
There are more carbs in your lunch time sandwich than in my entire days food. This is why I eat nothing preprepared.
My lunch time sandwich (Tuna with Whole Grain Wheat Weight Watchers bread) is 16 carbs. 2 slices of that bread at 7 carbs each and Tuna at 0 carbs. Kraft Miracle Whip spread (pretend Mayo) at 2 carbs. Use Becel salt-free margarine at 0 carbs and no salt/sodium. A light carb meal considering 2 pieces of bread (they are thin and smaller than normal bread slices). Just my way of staying under the 30 carb/meal recommendation and eating something I like. I would wager that many Diabetics "fall off the wagon" every once and awhile if they try to totally do away with foods they have been used to for many (in some cases, many many) years. Trial and error will find some foods that taste like real food but fit into the desired carb range.

I had a business associate once that was Diabetic. One of his daughters died from a bad hypo, but he ate what he wanted and said "all I have to do is take more medicine to bring the sugar back down" and he would pop some more pills. Well, he died ... multiple surgeries, organ problems, cardiac problems, leg and foot problems (turning black) ... but he ate what he wanted and lots of it. Sounds like an alcoholic in denial, right? At least he didn't drink or smoke.

BTW, I've reached my weight goal of 170 lbs (77 kg or 12 stone) - good for my 6 ft stature, but my Hb1AC still needs lowering (I've dropped from 7.8 to 7.3) ... working on it. My Endocrinolgist doubled my Jardiance now to 20mg once daily instead of 10mg and I've put the bakery at the grocery store down as a Dangerous Hazard Zone LOL. I should wear a shock collar that zaps me if I get too close :)

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bogie I notice from your profile settings that you are diet only, no meds, yet you now mention Jardiance. Which is correct? It really helps if profile settings are kept up to date.

I am also wondering why you seem to be avoiding fats, and why you are allowing yourself 30g carbs per meal when your HbA1c is not down to acceptable levels. If you had reduced those carbs you may have avoided the increased dose of Jardiance.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I might have mentioned this before, but I have eaten very little processed food for decades, and although my husband does eat carbs they are from unprocessed foods, for the most part, and at various reunions we have been to, we look far younger than our contemporaries, and I can always tell when the bus driver is new to the route as my bus pass is checked.
At 66 years old my hair is still mostly dark brown, and I am told that I do not look over 50 years old.
My hair is dark brown too, thanks L'Oreal.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am also wondering why you seem to be avoiding fats, and why you are allowing yourself 30g carbs per meal when your HbA1c is not down to acceptable levels. If you had reduced those carbs you may have avoided the increased dose of Jardiance.
Reading Bogie's posts, my understanding is (apologies if I haven't got this right) that Bogie is not entirely devoted to low carb. He sees continuing at least some of his habits and pleasures around food as very important. My mindset, and I think yours, @Bluetit1802, (again, apologies if ...) is that I will make almost any dietary change or sacrifice in order to bring my bg as near normal as possible. Other mindsets also exist, a point of view Bogie himself makes very clearly in his latest post with the story of his friend who developed catastrophic complications and died, but had the satisfaction of eating as he chose to the last. IMO it is rather brave of Bogie to voice his views on this Forum, where they are strikingly out of step with the zeitgeist. I value this, and I do hope he won't be discouraged from continuing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading Bogie's posts, my understanding is (apologies if I haven't got this right) that Bogie is not entirely devoted to low carb. He sees continuing at least some of his habits and pleasures around food as very important. My mindset, and I think yours, @Bluetit1802, (again, apologies if ...) is that I will make almost any dietary change or sacrifice in order to bring my bg as near normal as possible. Other mindsets also exist, a point of view Bogie himself makes very clearly in his latest post with the story of his friend who developed catastrophic complications and died, but had the satisfaction of eating as he chose to the last. IMO it is rather brave of Bogie to voice his views on this Forum, where they are strikingly out of step with the zeitgeist. I value this, and I do hope he won't be discouraged from continuing.

I get the feeling I am being told off. :)

All I was doing was asking him why, considering his latest HbA1c and the fact his medication has been doubled.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get the feeling I am being told off. :)

All I was doing was asking him why, considering his latest HbA1c and the fact his medication has been doubled.
Bluetit, I love and value your posts, and we seem (to me) in many ways to be kindred spirits. I wouldn't dream of telling you off! (Wouldn't dare, and wouldn't want to.) I just think the answer to your "Why" is in Bogie's posts. He nailed his colours to the mast at the beginning, Yes, it is frustrating to me too to read about someone whose bg readings could, I believe, be so much healthier if he cut a few carbs out of his diet, but he is a grown-up person and has a right to choose his priorities. Not everyone minds doubling their medication. On this Forum, many of the recidivists make heroic efforts to lower their carbs, their bg and their medications. But we are an elite / lunatic fringe of the general diabetic population. I believe that before my time here, the low carb advocates were a persecuted minority. It would be a shame if now people marching to a not-so-low-as -all-that drum couldn't find a home here alongside the LCHF enthusiasts.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit, I love and value your posts, and we seem (to me) in many ways to be kindred spirits. I wouldn't dream of telling you off! (Wouldn't dare, and wouldn't want to.) I just think the answer to your "Why" is in Bogie's posts. He nailed his colours to the mast at the beginning, Yes, it is frustrating to me too to read about someone whose bg readings could, I believe, be so much healthier if he cut a few carbs out of his diet, but he is a grown-up person and has a right to choose his priorities. Not everyone minds doubling their medication. On this Forum, many of the recidivists make heroic efforts to lower their carbs, their bg and their medications. But we are an elite / lunatic fringe of the general diabetic population. I believe that before my time here, the low carb advocates were a persecuted minority. It would be a shame if now people marching to a not-so-low-as -all-that drum couldn't find a home here alongside the LCHF enthusiasts.

Point taken. :) Although I do eat low carb myself I am not a fanatic. I hope I don't come over that way, and I certainly didn't intend any criticism. I was merely curious. I should have read his past posts more carefully. I am not an advocate of cutting out all the major carbs. I advocate eating to the meter and if that includes some starchy carbs that is fine by me. I eat them myself, and right this minute am looking forward to my roast potatoes this evening, but that is only because my meter tells me I can.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Point taken. :) Although I do eat low carb myself I am not a fanatic. I hope I don't come over that way, and I certainly didn't intend any criticism. I was merely curious. I should have read his past posts more carefully. I am not an advocate of cutting out all the major carbs. I advocate eating to the meter and if that includes some starchy carbs that is fine by me. I eat them myself, and right this minute am looking forward to my roast potatoes this evening, but that is only because my meter tells me I can.
I'm so glad you haven't taken umbrage! Apart from other considerations. I owe you, as I have learned such a lot from your posts. And I have also often been encouraged when you have "liked" or "agreed" with mine. I think the question of reading past posts carefully enough is both important and thorny. I know myself that when a thread runs to more than one page, I feel a strong reluctance (which I imagine is fairly common) to read back from the beginning. I have put my foot in it before now because of this.

Enjoy your roast potatoes! I envy you, although looking back, for years I didn't bother with them. I now rather wish I had eaten more of them when I could have.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the question of reading past posts carefully enough is both important and thorny. I know myself that when a thread runs to more than one page, I feel a strong reluctance (which I imagine is fairly common) to read back from the beginning. I have put my foot in it before now because of this.

Yes, easily done, especially when posts are long ones. We all do it.

We all have to learn from each other, and I am continually learning. You don't owe me anything at all, and definitely no umbrage taken. It was my fault. I must have had roast spuds on my mind :)

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
The only natural way to keep your hair colour when you get older is to choose your ancestors carefully.
I'm just going out to have some words with my ancestors...
On a serious (?) note, a Canadian female diabetologist a few years ago suggested that insulin is a prime culprit for making us age quickly. I can't help thinking that anybody on a long term LCHF diet, provided they are not Type 1, could afford to avoid the likes of L'Oreal and mud packs. There must be some perks!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes has always been the specter at the feast as far as I am concerned.
I know that I am a bit OTT with the carbs - but if you'd had my experiences I can't see how you would not be.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only natural way to keep your hair colour when you get older is to choose your ancestors carefully.
Oddly enough my father and his mother had white hair very early, his father was grey haired in his 50s, and my mother coloured her hair, as did her mother - so maybe I WAS found under the gooseberry bushes.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
@Bogie I notice from your profile settings that you are diet only, no meds, yet you now mention Jardiance. Which is correct? It really helps if profile settings are kept up to date.

Thanks @Bluetit1802 for prodding me to complete and update my profile. Originally just an observer on this forum but then became active and didn't update it. My job is very hectic, 12-14 hrs/day and I forgot - mea-culpa. Diet is changing but an arduous task for somebody who either does not like most foods and can't eat others. I'm trying and the last 4 months have been productive. Will get that Hb1Ac down below 7 soon. It gets tested again in 3 months.