HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi
Do you think diabetes is worse with poverty ?
Treatment, observation and selection of good nutrition needs money
Diabetes needs money and that's what I think

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing strips are the major cost for those of us self funding.
I haven't noticed any increase in our food bills. Eggs are cheap, vegetables are cheap, there are cheap cuts of meat available everywhere, you don't have to buy fillet steak.
You save by not buying cakes, biscuits, chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks, crisps, pies and take aways.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You save by getting a prescription charge exemption card for all meds if you’re on Diabetes meds in England! Every cloud! :joyful:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yes. Lots of studies show that poorer diabetics have worse outcomes re amputation and higher mortality level for age.

Reactions: dbr10

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But along with poverty goes a whole host of other issues, lack of education being very high up there.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Testing strips are the major cost for those of us self funding.
I haven't noticed any increase in our food bills. Eggs are cheap, vegetables are cheap, there are cheap cuts of meat available everywhere, you don't have to buy fillet steak.
You save by not buying cakes, biscuits, chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks, crisps, pies and take aways.
The problem with the vegetables is not cheap here but visiting the doctor and test strips is almost all the right things are expensive

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes. Lots of studies show that poorer diabetics have worse outcomes re amputation and higher mortality level for age.

But lots of studies also show that people who make less effort with life or are not educated or have other health issues are more likely to be poor. So is it being poor that results in worse outcomes with diabetes, or something else?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m eating low carb and it can be expensive. I don’t eat meat, poultry or cow dairy, and alternatives can be quite pricey! Simple carbs are very cheap, and often easier to cook. I use Lidl hi protein rolls as my bread alternative, and at 29p each, it soon adds up.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don’t eat meat, poultry or cow dairy,

But that is a choice, so if you could not afford other options, there is nothing stopping you eating meat. (But frozen veg, olive oil and butter is cheap.)

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m eating low carb and it can be expensive. I don’t eat meat, poultry or cow dairy, and alternatives can be quite pricey! Simple carbs are very cheap, and often easier to cook. I use Lidl hi protein rolls as my bread alternative, and at 29p each, it soon adds up.
Simple carbs are cheap because our taxes subsidies them, Common Agricultual Policy in the EU and same in USA. Wheat production receives state aid, if only they would divert that to brocolli..........................

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may be that poverty is linked to a lower education. It is not true that it is linked to less intelligence. Many people cannot have careers or further education for many complex reasons. I get cross with the idea that poor people are stupid and cant make sensible decisions about food.

Not that anyone on here is saying that, but it a media narrative I hear often.

Many of the poor are disabled, or carers, or have mental health issues or had to leave school at 16 to earn a living, or continue as carers. We have many children who care for a disabled relative in the uk. Its not a question of them being too stupid or lazy to educate further or have a career with good earnings, its that, from a practical viewpoint, for many reasons, that avenue is not open to them.

In my local food banks the food given out is nearly all carbs and sugar-rich sauces of one sort or another.

(falls off soapbox)

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
But that is a choice, so if you could not afford other options, there is nothing stopping you eating meat. (But frozen veg, olive oil and butter is cheap.)

It’s not a choice for me, sadly. I’m allergic to them and get breathing difficulties if I eat those things. I have to check ingredients like a hawk! And dairy is in so, so many foods.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s not a choice for me, sadly. I’m allergic to them and get breathing difficulties if I eat those things. I have to check ingredients like a hawk! And dairy is in so, so many foods.

That must be extremely difficult for you.:arghh:
However, you can't really blame your more expensive foods entirely on low carb. Without your allergies it may be a different matter.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My weekly groceries bill has gone up significantly since going low carb and eating more fresh veg - having said that I'm popping to the corner shop way less now as used to do top-up shops for pre-made pasta salads for lunch and snacks several times a week, and those trips were adding a lot of 'hidden' costs to my food bill.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That must be extremely difficult for you.:arghh:
However, you can't really blame your more expensive foods entirely on low carb. Without your allergies it may be a different matter.

It’s a pretty unholy combination! I can manage pretty well at home, but when I’m away it can become a real problem finding something to eat.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is not comparable, though. Being poor in Europe and being poor in Africa are two different animals.
I am poor in terms of European standards but by Developing Nations standards, what with access to health care, food, education etc I would be considered well off.