My Libre results

GavinTully

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been using the Libre sensor for 5 months now. I had my Hba1c results yesterday.

Pre Libre Hba1c 8.6
Post Libre Hba1c 6.2

Yes, I am having a few more hypo’s but nothing that I can’t manage myself and its to be expected with the tighter control.

I have had 1 or 2 sensor fail but they were replaced straight away by Abbott.

I’m delighted with the results.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How much is this down to charging what you eat based on the learning from the Libre, and how much is down to using more insulin based on seeing the BG trends from the Libre?

GavinTully

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven’t changed what I eat at all.
I’m now just taking insulin more accurately based on bg and trends.

Reactions: dbr10

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How often did you test before and how often to you test your blood now?

GavinTully

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My weight has remained the same at 11st for the last 15 years. I have to admit I rarely tested before, less than once a day. I’m probably testing about once a day now but I’m also capturing 100% of the sensor data. I’m also using Blucon so I can constantly see my bg on my iPhone.

Reactions: kev-w

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did you self-fund the Libre, and how did you find out about it?

How often do you look at your bg on your phone, or respond to alarms?

Do you drive a car?

(Sorry for all the question, but by understanding how someone gets greats results other people can copy.)

alaska

Well done Gavin.

Regarding hypos.

Personally, I'd take more hypos if that also meant 'less severity' of hypos. I expect you'll find that moving forwards the Libre will help to spot hypos, make it easier and quicker to come out of hypos (testing BG can help as there's a 10-15 min (or something) lag on Libre) and help to learn when you go low and therefore help you to prevent some of the hypos happening.

In terms of hypo awareness, the key seems to be not to reduce the amount of time spent in hypo territory.

People who spends hours per day in hypo will get to a position whereby the body considers that as normal and therefore doesn't provide symptoms when lows happen.

So, using the Libre to get out of hypos quickly and not spend too much time in hypo territory is a good position to be in if you can.