Recovering from Pneumonia

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wonder if there is any more I can do as a Type 2 to aid my recovery from pneumonia? I am diet controlled only and with low Carb can manage my numbers well. I got a bad chest infection on Dec 18th which flipped quickly into pneumonia by Boxing Day. I was pretty ill and had a cloudy lung and was given 20 days of antibiotics. I am much better now and taking lots of probiotics and live yogurt, 3 g Vit C with Bioflavonoids, Vit D3 and a multi Vit tablet. Also Magnesium which I take all the time anyhow. The doctors and nurse says I must rest rest and more rest and lots of fluids. I am being very good and obeying all instructions ! I have a holiday of a lifetime booked from Feb 24th to Australia and Singapore so I am determined to be well to go on that.

Can anyone offer any other ideas for recovery, alternatives or allopathic medication, tonics, drinks, foods ........anything which may have helped them !

I know I must stay warm, and getting cold definitely makes me cough, I got ill last year from being freezing onboard a ship off Iceland, and my body went into shut down.

My numbers were all over the place for three weeks after I was diagnosed but are now much more under control. The excessive fatigue is debilitating and I find I fall asleep every day early evening. I am lacking any bounce and feel as if my body is just coping with healing but can’t manage anything else ! I would love any imput for improving and healing.

Apologies for long message !

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear you have been so ill. It is a frightening and disempowering disease, so I am glad you have come through and are recovering well.

I would say that nutrition must be central to your recovery - and rest and low stress, since stress is known to affect the immune system. But several people who I have known to come through pneumonia have all said that it is time that is the best healer. Just accepting that it is a long slow recovery may help you not to chafe against it. :)

How is your appetite? Do you have to cook for yourself? What foods are appealing to you most, and how do they affect your blood glucose?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not think you can do any more to help you recover more quickly. Your nurse and doctor have given you the best advice to rest and drink plenty of fluids You seem to be taking a lot of products already but I do not think tonics, foods or anything else will make any difference your body will do what it needs to do naturally . Pneumonia is a serious illness and can take a few weeks to fully recover from. I am sure you will be well enough for your holiday so enjoy it when you go

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou for your replies ! I am now cooking and the foods appealing most are soups, slow cooked meats and a few veggies. Eggs not appealing much as yet and not fish. Kind friends brought stuff when I was in bed ! My numbers are around 7 - 8 now, which is great since they were at 10 - 15 when I was ill with one 24 ! The doctor said not to worry about this but to eat what I fancied. I think you are right about stress Pinkorchid ! I had a conversation with a good friend today re starting teaching again - I am a private music teacher with a sizeable practice. She thinks I should not go back to teaching before I go away and use the time to get better. I am coming round to that idea, although I lose income, I think my health is more important, and I would lose much more if I had to cancel my holiday !

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wonder if there is any more I can do as a Type 2 to aid my recovery from pneumonia?

Can anyone offer any other ideas for recovery, alternatives or allopathic medication, tonics, drinks, foods ........anything which may have helped them !

Step 1: Breathe in
Step 2: Breathe out
Repeat

Also ask for the free pneumonia jab to reduce your risk of another bout.