Life expectancy

davidM1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I’ve just read that my life expectancy is now 20 years less than what it would have been if I didn’t have the disease

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe that if diabetes is well controlled there is little difference
Also metformin is supposed to prolong life.

Reactions: Hawkey

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Is it really still 20 years? That was what they used to say 20 to 30 years ago before we all had blood testing kits and the wonders of modern medicine. I find it very hard to believe that those figures hold for new T1s. (My mother was an old-style T1, died at 78 after being diabetic for 56 years. I'm pretty sure she'd still be alive if she hadn't smoked for 50 of those years....)

(So, if you smoke, now is the time to stop! :))

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I would venture to guess you read in the same article that diabetes is a progressive disease. If you look after yourself, then you can live a good long life. Also, do yourself a favour and don't go looking for stuff like this that doesn't take into account diabetics who do what works. Bernstein is an obvious example. There are many others.

Reactions: davidM1996
D

Deleted member 308541

So I’ve just read that my life expectancy is now 20 years less than what it would have been if I didn’t have the disease
My crazy mother lived to be 80. Her death was caused by senile dementia and diabetic complications, or words to that effect from what I can remember from the death certificate.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What a load of rubbish.. Since some of us die in our forties or before & some live to be Centurions or some point in-between what does it mean and how can you prove it as to Diabetic Complications being quoted as course of death Means doctor did not look any further and took the easy way out If you get your BS under control and you can prolong you life from NOW and stop worrying as this may shorten your life expectancy LONG LIVE ALL OF US.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Recent research suggest average life expectancy for diabetics is reduced by about 7 years for type 2 and 13 years for type 1. The most recent QRISK3 calculator increases heart age by these numbers when you specify that you have type 1 or 2. The most common cause of death for diabetics is heart disease or strokes. Increased risk of dementia is also an issue.

Lowering high average blood glucose levels helps, but avoiding glucose spikes and hypos also reduces risk.

See the above documentary on the risk of glucose spikes. Glucose spikes cause high amounts of blood sugar and high concentrations of insulin to process this. Both result in increased inflamation which raises the risk of heart disease. High insulin levels are associated with increased risk of dementia.

So, if you want to live a long time and avoid dementia you need to get your blood glucose in the normal range as much as possible and avoid glucose spikes and hypos. There is a J risk curve for type 2 diabetics on insulin with high HbA1C having high mortality rates and also increased risk when HbA1C is low because this is caused by high levels of insulin. Reducing glucose spike and the need for large concentrations of insulin is the key to longer life expectancy for diabetics. Fortunately, we have glucose monitoring to help us keep glucose levels in the normal range as much as possible.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My mother in law died 2 weeks ago, aged 85. The death certificate stated T2 diabetes and dementia as the cause. Her family all knew that she didn't have dementia and her death was almost certainly caused by bowel(?) cancer (she was too ill to have the test and it wouldn't have improved her life expectancy). It's an easy out for doctors to list diabetes as a cause of death, even when there are other more accurate reasons.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My grandfather passed away at 84 without any diabetic complications.

He died of old age in the Philippines without any medicine on small fish, small rice, lots of fresh non starchy vegetables and one small fruit a day diet!

He also did a lot of walking everyday.

The key is to eat in small amounts spread throughout the day to avoid spikes and not to go beyond 2mmols/l after each meal.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My grandfather passed away at 84 without any diabetic complications.

He died of old age in the Philippines without any medicine on small fish, small rice, lots of fresh non starchy vegetables and one small fruit a day diet!

He also did a lot of walking everyday.

The key is to eat in small amounts spread throughout the day to avoid spikes and not to go beyond 2mmols/l after each meal.

"The key" for some people. Others must find their own path. I firmly beleive that no two people with Diabetes are the same.

Reactions: Tony337

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My step mum's mum was diagnosed in the early 1950s as a young mum and recently died aged 95 I think after being a type 1 on insulin all that time. She is the exception of course.
You can of course die younger from all the co morbidities (heart disease, dementia etc.) mentioned above but it certainly isn't inevitable if you try to cure the root cause of the problem - insulin resistance - of which type 2 diabetes is only 1 symptom. Lots of advice on ways of doing just that via the low carb diet/fasting.
I am type 1 and don't believe I will get ill or die! I do l ots of things that are good for me that I might not have done were I not a diabetic and aware that the odds are not stacked in my favour.

Hawkey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot
Well ,this has cheered me up no end ! I posted earlier that I’d had so many negative comments from so called friends (not diabetic) regarding foot loss and worse and my next question was going to be about life expectancy. I’m determined to look after myself so if I’m lucky I’ll still be around and make old bones

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well ,this has cheered me up no end ! I posted earlier that I’d had so many negative comments from so called friends (not diabetic) regarding foot loss and worse and my next question was going to be about life expectancy. I’m determined to look after myself so if I’m lucky I’ll still be around and make old bones
Here's to your old bones :) I'd like to think that the members of this Forum will be chuntering, chatting, offering advice and support, and generally laughing at the Grim Reaper for many, many years to come. Nil desperandum!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
You have to remember that this is the average life expectancy and so includes all the poorly controlled diabetics and also those with co-morbidities.

If you have good control then you will hopefully survive longer than the average.

I have read (although not recently) that a well controlled T2 on Metformin has a longer life expectancy than a non-diabetic.