Happy Christmas! You have Type 2 [emoji22]

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @Mantre, welcome to the forum. The initial shock followed by the persistent question 'what can I eat?' is the worst time, it does get better. The advice given above regarding foods to try to avoid is sound, your family can treat you to some high quality chocolate (80%+) and a blood glucose meter for Christmas. Try to eat fresh foods or frozen vegetables, try to avoid those things that grow below ground. Please note I say ' try', it is not always possible, but it is surprising the number of places that offer meat and salads if you are eating out. If you know you should lose weight then low carb is the way to go, if not then try low carb with healthy fats (oily fish, some dairy, cooking with olive oil, olives and some nuts). There seems a lot to take note of initially but the important thing is to make a start, small steps.
The DN will probably advise you about the Eatwell plate, to have brown rice, wholemeal bread, jacket potatoes etc. The problem that a lot of type 2's have found is that all the starches in the foods still turn to sugar in the blood and gradually the amount of medication they need creeps up. If you want to delay that for as long as possible avoid the starchy foods as well as the sweet ones. You may also be prescribed Metformin, it is the initial drug of choice for the NHS. Try to persuade her that you would like 3-4 months to try to get your levels down by diet and exercise (look up the common side effects of the drug).The New Year is a good time to start getting serious about any changes you need to make regarding foods and exercise, monitoring blood glucose levels etc. Enjoy Christmas but try not to overindulge the sweet things too much.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Happy (?) Christmas @Mantre and welcome to the forum. It will be a shock to get that diagnosis at any time, but I suppose just before Christmas might be the worst time.
But although a HbA1c (blood sugar level) of 72 is on the high side, it can be reduced and people on here with higher readings have reduced theirs by adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating. Have a read round the threads to see how that works and ask any questions you want to. The people on here are friendly and supportive.

As for Christmas, I would just cut down as much on the sweet sugary stuff and starchy carbohydrates as much as possible. Maybe only one (or two small) roast potatoes, and a small bit of Christmas pudding or one mince pie with double cream rather than custard. But one or two days won't make a lot of difference so don't stress too much about it.

You should give yourself a Christmas present of a blood glucose meter so you can test how different foods affect your blood glucose levels. You should test before eating, then 90 minutes to two hours after eating. If your bs has gone up by 2 mmol/L or more that food should be avoided.
The TEE2 bg meter and the first 10 testing strips are free, and you can buy more strips for £7.75 for 50, at
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
If you do order strips remember to tick the box to say you are diabetic and you won't pay VAT.
@Prem51 Just read your post to a newbie and saw your link for the Tee2 test meter and strips thank you very much, I've been trying to get one for my Hubby who is also type2 and has I have this meter myself it will be very cost effective for us both to have same meter. Just placed the order how long does it take to get an order with this company? K

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Granny_grump_ It was a few months ago, but I think I received it fairly quickly - within 3 or 4 days.
It might take a bit longer now with the Christmas post.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi @Granny_grump_ It was a few months ago, but I think I received it fairly quickly - within 3 or 4 days.
It might take a bit longer now with the Christmas post.
@Prem51 Again a big thank you, and wishing you a Merry Christmas and very Happy New Year! K

Reactions: Prem51

Mantre

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I’m very pleased to say that I survived my first Christmas as a T2 and things weren’t as daunting as I thought I just had small amounts of all the Xmas naughty foods and even managed to lose just I’ve half a stone! Feeling a bit more armed with knowledge and understanding so thank you all who gave me advise! I’ve yet to use my meter as still don’t understand how to use it and when best to readings but I’m sure in the next feed weeks I’ll brave it and take the plunge! My main goal for this year is to learn about management and try different foods without sugar and lower carbs! Feeling really positive to a happy healthy T2 me

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve yet to use my meter as still don’t understand how to use it and when best to readings but I’m sure in the next feed weeks I’ll brave it and take the plunge!
How to video on this very site
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/how-to-test-blood-glucose-levels.html

Best readings to take are before your largest meal of the day, and 2 hours after first bite. Don't get hung up about each number, after a few weeks you will be able to see the trend, provided that is downwards all is good. If it is upwards, adjust your menu

Reactions: Mantre

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Prem51 Just read your post to a newbie and saw your link for the Tee2 test meter and strips thank you very much, I've been trying to get one for my Hubby who is also type2 and has I have this meter myself it will be very cost effective for us both to have same meter. Just placed the order how long does it take to get an order with this company? K
I have found the sellers of the TEE@ excellent for customer service and always really speedy. By contrast, the people who sell the Codefree are far inferior in speed and helpfulness. I ordered a lot of strips from them on the 15th January which have still not arrived due to being sent by an inferior (to put it mildly) courier service. As a result I would have run out of strips last weekend, but I put in an order for TEE2 strips and they arrived the next day, thus saving my bacon!

Mantre

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m due to see the diabetic nurse soon so will probably seek some guidance from her as to what levels I should be aiming for and when to test

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
on my low carb foods I got a reading of 5.6 mmol/l after Christmas dinner so it can be done - with a bit of luck.