How do you (Type 1's) lose weight?

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Food plus Insulin equals energy. Not enough Insulin equals not enough energy. So in your case eat what you need for the Insulin to provide you with enough energy to move.

It's easy to say that, it's a bit risky to do it?

SHESCOOBY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Liars
Never feed the insulin!! You will put weight on!!!

SHESCOOBY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Liars
Average in what you eat and count ya carbs and your racio of insulin! You even on a carb counting course?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is paramount, keep BS & HbA1c within safe parameters... ;)

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never feed the insulin!! You will put weight on!!!

Is this in response to my post

"Food plus Insulin equals energy. Not enough Insulin equals not enough energy. So in your case eat what you need for the Insulin to provide you with enough energy to move."

I am saying that a person needs to inject enough insulin for the food they eat. Too little Insulin creates a situation where not enough energy results. So if a person eats very little food so that less insulin has to be injected the result is lack of energy. Insulin matched to the amount a body needs for the energy output required does not cause a person to put on weight.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is risky? You eat enough food and inject the correct amount of Insulin.
Well sure in theory.

But what if you would normally have a really active lifestyle which would need lots of energy? You'd end up having to eat lots and lots of carbs, take huge huge amounts of drugs to counteract all the food, and the risk of messing up would be awful.

This is the situation I'm in, I just don't dare eat enough to fuel what I would normally do, even if I was capable of doing it, which I'm not.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Joe, I know you say you want to lose weight but are you actually overweight? If you aren't then I imagine it is very hard to lose 10lb unless you start starving yourself.

Definitely wouldn't consider myself overweight. I'm quite built in terms I have some muscle and muscle definition in some areas. I've always been keen on that side of gym work, the cardio? Not so much.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I couldn't go back and quote everyone. But I have take a lot of tips from here. I actually think somebody hit the nail on the head with perhaps the cheese front. Since leaving hospital, cutting lumps of cheese off a block has been my go to really as it doesn't do much to my blood sugars. I knew and know this wouldn't be aiding me. I also tend to have a can of Coke Zero too, which as much as they say wont make you gain weight, certainly dont think it's helping much.

Will cut out the cheese for a few days, ease back on the amount of dairy I eat and go from there.

Currently i'm 5ft 10" and 12Stone 12lbs

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never shout

I used to run 5Ks twice a week, now I am not exactly

papergc,441x415,w,ffffff.2u5.jpg

Reactions: NicoleC1971

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well sure in theory.

But what if you would normally have a really active lifestyle which would need lots of energy? You'd end up having to eat lots and lots of carbs, take huge huge amounts of drugs to counteract all the food, and the risk of messing up would be awful.

This is the situation I'm in, I just don't dare eat enough to fuel what I would normally do, even if I was capable of doing it, which I'm not.
I'm not sure where you get the idea that you need to eat lots and lots of carbs from?

When I'm having an active lifestyle I just use less insulin. That's why we have to get familiar with how our bodies work and work with them to allow us to continue to do what we do. I'd also be interested in what you feel you can't do because it needs a ton of fuel and why you then can't handle it.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On reviewing things, I think it could well be the cheese that's catching me here.

Looking it up, about holds pretty much 11g fat and 7g protein per 30g weight, which equates to in and around 125 calrories just from 30g weight, and I think i'd easily go to 4 or 5 slices a night, so minimum of 60g so about 250 calories just from cheese.....WOW.

Going to cut cheese completely for a few nights, which will take away that 250 calories, plus take out the Coke Zero.

I do like to have a little something to tie me over in the evening, I wonder what I could substitute it for? Or should I just go all in for a few days to see where this would take me?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Joe,
It might not even be the calories in cheese per se but rather there’s something in dairy that cause many people to stall or gain weight. In fact it is sometimes advised when someone wants to gain weigh to add dairy

Olives would be a good snack or well controlled portions of nuts but of course they have loads of calories too. Maybe some raw veggies like celery for the crunch? Or I like steamed veggies that are refrigerated after cooking. Like broccoli brussel sprouts or asparagus and they don’t turn on the hunger

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Joe,
It might not even be the calories in cheese per se but rather there’s something in dairy that cause many people to stall or gain weight. In fact it is sometimes advised when someone wants to gain weigh to add dairy

Olives would be a good snack or well controlled portions of nuts but of course they have loads of calories too. Maybe some raw veggies like celery for the crunch? Or I like steamed veggies that are refrigerated after cooking. Like broccoli brussel sprouts or asparagus and they don’t turn on the hunger

Thanks. Yeah, I may even just cook up a couple of boiled eggs and have them cold when feeling a little peckish. Should do the trick and easy..

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. Yeah, I may even just cook up a couple of boiled eggs and have them cold when feeling a little peckish. Should do the trick and easy..
Sure should or some deli meat with mustard, mayo, Or some avocado smashed in. That’s quite filling

Last edited: