Parking fine...treating hypo!!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No reason whatsoever given....the letter was very brief and simply stated that after careful consideration the appeal is declined and the fine stands. That's it.

Tomorrow I am going to call them and ask for their justification for declining my appeal and details of how they came to their decision (albeit they have none).

Good on you! They probably hope most people,will,give up,and go away.

If it's a private company, do consider looking for the template letter. It says something about the non-legal nature of the fine letter and then offers a small amount in full and final settlement to cover their admin. That might be an option.

samstorm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Today i received a £70 parking fine from a private company for overstaying by 20 minutes. My reason for overstaying and not moving my car within the time allowed is that I was legally not safe to drive as I was abiding by the DVLA regulations and treating my hypo to raise it to 5mmols and then waiting 45 minutes to ensure the safety of me, my baby and other drivers.

I've not contacted parking company as im waiting on a call back from citizens advice about this however if I don't pay within 8 days they'll increase the charge and take it further....so was I to risk all these lives and break the law???? Confused.....
Was the carpark free of charge or did you have to buy a ticket? If you had to buy a ticket did buy a second ticket to cover your overstay.? If you bought a second ticket it would be totally unjust to fine you as you had taken steps to remedy the situation.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Part of the pain of the disability. Private parking company - call them and explain. Most I would think would sympathize - depends.

If city or government I would side with caution. I know that here in Canada, for example, it is harder to get your license back from driving "under the influence of a Hyper of Hypo" than driving drunk from alcohol. Considering that driving drunk is by choice compared to a Diabetic reaction is by chance. The attitude towards Diabetes is one of ignorance and not understanding.

Twickers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today i received a £70 parking fine from a private company for overstaying by 20 minutes. My reason for overstaying and not moving my car within the time allowed is that I was legally not safe to drive as I was abiding by the DVLA regulations and treating my hypo to raise it to 5mmols and then waiting 45 minutes to ensure the safety of me, my baby and other drivers.

I've not contacted parking company as im waiting on a call back from citizens advice about this however if I don't pay within 8 days they'll increase the charge and take it further....so was I to risk all these lives and break the law???? Confused.....

Please look at the parking ticket very carefully. If it is called a "Parking Charge Notice" you do NOT have to pay it. It is just a demand for money which is not enforceable. They will send reminders and threats to double the amount etc., which is pretty nerve-racking, but you don't need to respond.

If the ticket is a "Penalty Charge Notice" then it is legal and should be appealed.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: dbr10

Mami_Greene

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I parked in a shopping car park that was in the ground floor of a multi car park. There was a car facing me and a man inside who looked like he was trying to Hotwire it. As a diabetic granny on my own, I went into the shop then called the police. I waited in the shop until the police had been so overstayed by 20 mins. There was no ticket on my car and a month later I got a letter saying I had a week to pay £70 or it would go to £130. When I called them I was given abuse and demands for money so I wrote them a letter explaining the circumstances, refusing to pay, offering to go to the press and demanding a retraction of the fine. I did get a letter back stating that under special circumstances they would let me off with the fine. I live in Scotland and I have since found out that under Scots law these companies cannot enforce fines if you do not engage with them. If you do not reply to them they do not have a contract with you.

Reactions: Struma

L0ckwood

This happened to my son I have just got notice that they have not acceoted the appeal. It was 10 mins free parking in Warrington railway station he had just dropped of a friend but decided to test cos he felt a bit low. By time he tested and ate something and tested again it was over 10 mins. Actually only 2 mins over 10 mins. He didnt think being over 10 mins would matter. We sent proof of his recent diagnosis but just recieved rejection. Dont know what to do next so following you on this one! @stellson

Townsend

As long as it is not a council car park do not pay look on google I had three letter and that was that to expensive to take you to court council will because it not their money it’s areas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks very much, I'll have a look at that. No obe with me except my baby...i do have my libre as evidence i was under 5mmol at the time i was parked there. I've not contacted the company yet as just got the fine letter through the door today after work. My plan is to contact them tomorrow. Don't hold out much hope tbh but I'm gony fight this.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This happened to my son I have just got notice that they have not acceoted the appeal. It was 10 mins free parking in Warrington railway station he had just dropped of a friend but decided to test cos he felt a bit low. By time he tested and ate something and tested again it was over 10 mins. Actually only 2 mins over 10 mins. He didnt think being over 10 mins would matter. We sent proof of his recent diagnosis but just recieved rejection. Dont know what to do next so following you on this one! @stellson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear about that situation with you . You did the correct thing . Which makes complete sense. Private parking companies who I have dealt with are usually ignorant and uncaring in many ways . Private parking companies have very little if any powers , I have paid them , but would not in future they will try many tricks and send letters to intimidate you into paying . I would throw the letter in the bin where it belongs. Good luck From Me.

L0ckwood

I would just like to update that we won our appeal. Originally parking eye rejected it so I filled in the online appeal with popla and it has been accepted. What a lot of stress though.

Reactions: SueO246

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats. As you say, what a stressful time. Put the kettle on.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A reminder to keep discussion civil, please folks.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hi. I work for a local authority and deal with parking fines. We usually request confirmation of diabetes and would cancel a Pcn as a gesture of goodwill. I am type 1 so i know exactly where people are coming from. It may be different as you are entering into the terms when you enter of the car park. Please write in an appeal the notice,please just dont assume they wont consider it. Send in proof ie copy of prescription or may need a letter from your gp for proof. Good luck
My husband also works for the authority as a Enforcement Parking Officer. He has just said pretty much the same as you after reading all this with me.

Reactions: SueO246

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
@ickihun It depends who they are. Local,councils are usually quite amenable to,reason, but some private firms exist solely to make money it seems and just have a selection of letters they fire off without looking at the case the individual is making if they appeal.That's why all those websites exist advising people how not to pay. I've seen a template letter online which was very good.
Yes private companies are much more harsh

TURTLE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same issue back in May 2017'...11mins over and a £60 fine which I naturally appealed but it was rejected and increased to £100 and given 1 month to pay up.
I wrote them another letter explaining the safety of driving in that condition but not an ounce of understanding or sympathy just a demand for payment.
I decided to sit it out and told them i would see them in court, i have had a couple of reminders that bailiffs may be employed but just ignored them.
Not heard a word for 5 months but I am prepared to go to court if needs be.
I was told by a good friend of mine that it is not a parking fine as it is not issued by the police it's only a demand for payment of which they can't legally collect until they win a court case against you and the likelihood of them taking you to court and winning would be slim at best.
Let them flex their muscles and sit it out the money grabbing sharks

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd flush their "bill". These bozos sound like quazi extortionists. Collection agencies. I bet the people who try and squeeze you get half the money they collect. Probably some retired mall cop. Short mall cop.