Diet advice needed - newbie

JonM1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all,

I am a 54 year old male, 11st 4lbs and exercise 7 days a week.

However, I try to eat healthily but my dietary routine is rubbish.........I have a protein drink after my workout in the morning (8a.m) and then don't eat again until approximately 7.30p.m. So 400 calories in the morning and then 1500 calories before going to bed.

Rubbish technique, eh?

Recently, I've developed the hands shaking. I had a check for diabetes at Asda (they were doing them free) and the girl said my blood sugars were low and that I shouldn't be effectively starving myself for 11 hours a day.

Thank you in advance.

Top Vintage!

Nothing wrong with your reported blood sugar or your eating pattern (seems like a modified 16:8 intermittent fasting regime to me).

The most recent "Trust me I'm a Doctor" on the Beeb reported a study into whether loading the food onto the end or the start of the day was better for weight loss. Against everyone on the show's expectations having the big meal late in the day was better.

This said shaky hands might indicate a very low blood sugar state - so if possible go get a test at a GP or a pharmacist next time it happens to confirm. If that is the case you'll need to eat a larger proportion of your food earlier in the day.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have you always had this pattern of going without food for nearly 12 hours or is it something recent?

It may not be a major issue if it’s something you’ve always done as your liver and muscles holds a reserve of about 2000 cals for gaps in eating habits. (about 500 gram of glycogen). This is how people can run a marathon without having to eat halfway through the race.

singsteve

Hello all,

Please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I am a 54 year old male, 11st 4lbs and exercise 7 days a week.

However, I try to eat healthily but my dietary routine is rubbish.........I have a protein drink after my workout in the morning (8a.m) and then don't eat again until approximately 7.30p.m. So 400 calories in the morning and then 1500 calories before going to bed.

Rubbish technique, eh?

Recently, I've developed the hands shaking. I had a check for diabetes at Asda (they were doing them free) and the girl said my blood sugars were low and that I shouldn't be effectively starving myself for 11 hours a day.

So I intend trying to nibble regularly during the day.

Someone help me.......my initial plan is a banana at lunchtime straddled by a couple of Soreen Malt Loaf Bars (bite size) either side.

I'll happily take any pointers from those of you who know more about keeping blood sugars constant throughout the day (rather than my current regime of spiking them).

Don't be scared to tell me what I'm planning is feeble, I'm from a generation where it takes a lot more than an aggressive post on an internet forum to mentally scar me :)

Thank you in advance.
All good advice below. See the Dr. What was the figure? Don't take ASDA advice. That aside, not sure I would recommend your diet to many people that I consult. In my experience there is no one diet that fit's all but the 12/8 does appear effective rather than a longer stint even though I am a fan of intermittent fasting. I know several people who work out and eat once daily. What are the proteins, fats and carbs in your main meal?

What is in your evening meal?

singsteve

Sorry, I meant 16/8 (not 12/8) on my previous post.

Just saw your BS level, 4.7 is fine.

Ask the Doc to check you out including blood pressure. The are many causes for shaky hands (tremor as it's called) and try not to best guess it as some can be serious. Although I suspect in your case, it might be as simple as vitamin/mineral deficiency. Good luck