NO veg please

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Over the Years I find that my Taste in veggies have changed almost as often as the weather. Open your Mind to different ways of cooking. Since My School days I hate Boiled Greens. but you can finely grate veg. Cauli Carrots Turnip celery leaks etc etc and add them to Gravy Omelettes Sauces, etc sprinkle them over or add to Baked Tinned tomatoes the options are endless Then of course there is the Blender To make veggie Soups and into which you can blend many of the veg you don't like and To Go Back to War Time Days. My Mum Used to Boil All green Veggies and apart from making us eat our veggies she also made us drink the water they were boiled in (When cooled ) she also used this to make gravy after roasting meat Now in this day and age of Packaged /Frozen food etc why cant you boil up some Veg and after save the water and use this to add to any savoury recipe that needs Water this way the you get the minerals etc
Nb You Can boil up the part of Veggies you often throw away Stalks Outer Leaves etc. to get the same effect without cost.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I've been reading a lot of the posts and looking up recipes as im now trying to go down the low carb route.
My problem is i loathe most vegetables. I've been brought up on potatoes and bread all of my life so its a lifestyle i have to change for the better.
So any ideas or pointers would be most helpful for this veg hating T2
I do love onions,mushrooms,cucumber,lettuce,chickpea,lentils and HATE cabbage,cauliflower, brocolli,carrots,sweetcorn, beans,asparagus, aubergine,beetroot,butternut squash,leeks,turnip etc etc

I don't hate veg...but I don't go out of my way to eat them...fatty cuts of meat works out well for me. Carbs lite fats friendly, insulin lowering diet is my focus...

cristis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to hate cauliflower. All my life! We used to eat it boiled in my childhood...

Few years ago, at some party, I just tried some raw with Ranch sauce. Should I say I'm a big cauliflower fan since? ;)

Reactions: Sue192 and hankjam

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'm not much of a vegetable fan either, but butter over greens or gravy or melted cheese takes away the boredom and dullness for me.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make a sort of veggie cheese with lightly boiled veg, covered in cheese sauce and then roasted for a while. Yummy and tastes of cheese.

Reactions: Sue192

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I've been reading a lot of the posts and looking up recipes as im now trying to go down the low carb route.
My problem is i loathe most vegetables. I've been brought up on potatoes and bread all of my life so its a lifestyle i have to change for the better.
I do love onions,mushrooms,cucumber,lettuce,chickpea,lentils and HATE cabbage,cauliflower, brocolli,carrots,sweetcorn, beans,asparagus, aubergine,beetroot,butternut squash,leeks,turnip etc etc

It has never been compulsory on a low carb diet to eat any of the veggies you hate. Nor is it compulsory to avoid potatoes or bread completely. We are all different in what we choose to eat and choose to avoid completely. There is nothing wrong in eating onions in smaller quantities, mushrooms are a staple for us, cucumber and lettuce are desirable as well. A blood glucose meter will help you decide which of these your body can cope with, and in what quantities. This is why meters are so essential.

There are several very acceptable low carb breads on the market, and many of us find we can cope with small amounts of potatoes (mashed, baked, stewed and jacket spuds aren't wise choices). A couple of small new potatoes or roasted are worth trying, but you do need a meter to test for yourself.

Personally I stuff my face with mushrooms and tomatoes, I have onions (pickled is my choice). I can mange a couple of new potatoes, 2 small pieces of roasted, and even half a dozen home made chips (cooked in lard). I also eat peas but not chickpeas or lentils. I am addicted to the Lidl High Protein rolls at under 10g carbs per roll. Others eat Hi-low or Burgen bread, also low carb. I only eat greens on Sundays, covered in butter. You are not alone.

There are also low carbers on this forum and elsewhere that eat animal food only, strictly no plant food.

So it not all doom and gloom for you, BUT you do need a meter.

Reactions: hankjam

dipsydo

As others have said find what you like and what does not raise blood sugar and go with that .

My belief is that a successful change in diet should be one with which you do not get bored . So for example there are plenty of different types of lettuce - so try different varieties - red gem is quite different to iceberg , celeriac can be very similar to potato and I slice and make into chips but can be mashed or roasted ( but if you do not like celery probably will not like celeriac ) . As regards cauliflower , have you tried different ones romano cauliflower might be worth a try - a slice grilled is quite different to the usual cauliflower . You have not mentioned peppers - can be cold, grill or fried . Mini cucumbers taste different to large cucumbers.- it is all a matter of trial and error . You have not mentioned peas - I find I can eat them but some people find they are not good from a blood sugar point of view so this is when you should consider eating to the meter to see what you can tolerate .

As you mentioned you like bread thought worth mentioning as some people on this site swear by Lidl high protein rolls - Hovis do low carb bread - I find the wholemeal too sweet but the multiseed is OK - but others would say stay away from bread - again up to you

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The "Steak and Eggs Diet" (google it) is a low carb diet that people seem to get good health with and it has no veg.

(There is no good evidence that we need to eat veg if we remove all carbs from our diet, but fat MUST be included if veg free diet. There is also no long-term evidence that diets like the "Steak and Egg Diet" is safe other than a few people claiming good health doing it long term. The lack of evidence is due to the funding bodies not being willing to fund the studies.)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to echo what Bluetit1802 said about testing. Each of us reacts differently to foods and even then we vary depending on sleep. exercise and general wellness. The Lidl high protein rolls are a good starting point for bread and large flat mushrooms are brilliant as holders for cheese and mince, poached eggs.
In the end it is all about try then test and refine. Its a marathon not a sprint/

Reactions: Bluetit1802

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Mushroom soup, onion soup, salad... I would make low carb muffins to go with it. You can add cream and cheese and butter (to the soups)...
Not sure how you are with spicy food, but m'twem is an Algerian stew... meatballs, chicken , chick peas and almonds (optional).
Another one would be Ada's lentil soup with it without meat, pureed or as a stew. Very simple, had it tonight lol.
You could also do the lentils like a resoto type thing, with mushrooms and chicken in a creamy sauce...
They also have a chickpea pie, gram flour is chickpea flour, look up karantika, I add cheddar cheese to it and that is filling and tasty. We use it as a side dish and I have it instead of bread.

D

Deleted member 101090

Wow a great response to my first post.
I can eat carrots raw but its the feel and taste of those vegetables both raw and cooked in my mouth that actually turns me.
I have tried through the years various disguised veg with no luck. Sweetcorn actually makes me physically vomit im sad to say. Whether its a mental thing or not i don t know.
I'll certainly try the cheese sauce as it sounds yummy.

lucky that you hate sweetcorn as its rich in carbs...

i think you might have to resort to the meat rich diet and eat vitamin pills if you hate veg so much... personally, i have no understanding as to why some people hate veg, i blame the parents letting kids get away with faddy eating.

only thing else i can say that on average it takes at least 20 trial of one type of veg in order to get yourself to like it or to tolerate it. so trying just once or twice dos nothing and maybe even deepens the hatred of them.. keep trying and try more often than once in a while. eventually your body gets the message.

aseret

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Town centres and shopping malls, lack of parking, i loathe carrots parsnips most root vegetables and pulses, and am not a huge fan of green vegetables either. I really hate ironing..
Hi All,

OK, veg hating T2, You could be me! I think i posted something similar a while back, and i totally sympathise with you. I too loathe most vegetables, the texture and smell mostly. (Now may i add that i am a qualified chef and have been cooking professionally for over 40 years, on and off and there is not a single method of preparing vegetables which i have not used. I have stir-fried, roasted, stewed, pureed. coated, disguised with spices, herbs, cheeses, other flavours etc and have not found anything i can honestly say that i like). I understand from another response that some people have higher levels of a chemical in their body, which means the taste of certain vegetables seems distorted or enhanced. I am going to go away now and find said post....

Anyway, i have struggled with my weight on and off for years but i follow a low carb diet and have achieved a modicum of success. Blood sugars down and lost about 7 kilos

But salads made with chopped cucumber, lettuce and seeds such as pumpkin or flax and pine nuts should be palatable, and i make a full fat natural yoghurt dressing with garlic and lemon and mayo and maybe some chillies which i add to shredded cooked chicken or hard boiled eggs or tuna etc. All high in protein and low carb and there is at least a little bit of green in there somewhere.

Certainly look at the low carb recipes, such as low carb muffins, you can add bacon bits and onion and mushrooms to them with the cheese, or spice them up with paprika or chilli powder, and they make a good bread substitute. I had to go cold turkey on the bread, potatoes and pasta though. Which was very hard but i think you will feel better for it and you wont experience the fluctuations in your blood sugar levels. Low carb diets often limit peas, beans, beetroot corn and some other root vegetables and pulses so its worth looking it up.

But don't overthink it, you can go low-carb without forcing down the stuff you hate, and it took me a very long time to accept fats as friends. I was a bit obsessive at first. Not good, just causes more stress. If you find a green vegetable that you can 'tolerate' (for me, strangely, that is spinach) then puree a batch and make soup, using garlic and onions as a means to disguise it a little, to which i add creme fraiche and Boursin. I then eat with said muffin and i feel that i am at least getting one vegetable inside me. I found that i can tolerate the taste of courgettes, so i make a sort of ratatouille with the onions, garlic, a red pepper and mushrooms and some tomatoes and a nice lot of spices. There are loads of recipes available on line and in the forums and it can be a bit time consuming but worth a look. You cant expect to change the eating habits of a lifetime at once, it's unrealistic but try to introduce one of the LOATHED vegetables once a week, even just a small portion.

My tastes have, sadly NOT changed very much in that I still dont ENJOY vegetables, even spinach or courgettes, and for all those who claim they LURVE cauliflower rice...... well, consider me a work in progress. .

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it takes 20 tries to tolerate a vegetable, I think your body is telling you something.
On 10 grams carb a day, I tend to use fruit and veg as flavourings or garnishes only. It's amazing how much flavour you get from a piggy or 2 of clementine with a slice of good ham.

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So you have missed the joy that is bubble and squeak. Yes I know it has carbs. But you don't need a lot of potato to do it. I cook veg with a stock cube. Love brussel sprouts done this way. I went through 10 year of hating the **** things. One look made me sick. Then I had Jamie Oliver sprouts with garlic, bacon and parmesan cheese. Totally heavenly meal. You can do the same thing with spinach.Cauli cheese is nice too.