Such a Great Day - No Complications [emoji3]

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had my hospital appointment today. I happened to mention that I felt waiting for my complications to come on feels like I’m a time bomb. (I’m almost 30years type1 although only got stable, background retinopathy.)

I was seriously overjoyed at my amazing doctor’s well-supported argument that if I don’t already have serious complications then it’s unlikely I’ll get them...that my chances are reduced significantly! For example, he said if something happens to my kidneys then it’s more likely it will be another issue that causes the problem, not my diabetes.

I was quite teary with joy. I always imagined dying years ahead of my husband or him wheeling me around limbless and blind. My control has never been perfect but I’ve always tried, taking insulin etc. My HbA1c was 8.0 today.

I know that this may be hard to read for those unfortunate people that sadly suffer with complications but I thought it was really important to post that this isn’t inevitable despite not perfect control or 30 years type1. It’s a bit of a **** outlook on life, thinking when are these eye scans going to give bad news or when will neuropathy kick in when it’s not always the case.

Weirdly I feel even more motivated to stay healthy than I ever have although I might have a little drink tonight

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
that is fabulous @London36_
keep up the good work !

there is much truth in everything you said and I try to live my life like that after 45 years with T1D

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I had my hospital appointment today. I happened to mention that I felt waiting for my complications to come on feels like I’m a time bomb. (I’m almost 30years type1 although only got stable, background retinopathy.)

I was seriously overjoyed at my amazing doctor’s well-supported argument that if I don’t already have serious complications then it’s unlikely I’ll get them...that my chances are reduced significantly! For example, he said if something happens to my kidneys then it’s more likely it will be another issue that causes the problem, not my diabetes.

I was quite teary with joy. I always imagined dying years ahead of my husband or him wheeling me around limbless and blind. My control has never been perfect but I’ve always tried, taking insulin etc. My HbA1c was 8.0 today.

I know that this may be hard to read for those unfortunate people that sadly suffer with complications but I thought it was really important to post that this isn’t inevitable despite not perfect control or 30 years type1. It’s a bit of a **** outlook on life, thinking when are these eye scans going to give bad news or when will neuropathy kick in when it’s not always the case.

Weirdly I feel even more motivated to stay healthy than I ever have although I might have a little drink tonight
Brilliant sunshine news and a real boost

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Are you complication free after 45 years?!
hey there @London36_
No -- I can't say that totally -- i do have some retinopathy ( had laser a couple of times ) -- but i still drive no worries

I take a load of tablets to stop me getting high blood pressure( 5 in total ) -- but to me these drugs didn't exist 30 years ago -- so I am pleased they do now -- LOL

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hey there @London36_
No -- I can't say that totally -- i do have some retinopathy ( had laser a couple of times ) -- but i still drive no worries

I take a load of tablets to stop me getting high blood pressure( 5 in total ) -- but to me these drugs didn't exist 30 years ago -- so I am pleased they do now -- LOL

After 45 years, I’d be more than happy with that

Reactions: himtoo

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Woohoo! What a lovely doctor! And congratulations!
It’s 48 years since diagnosis for me and so far the only (maybe) complication is an earlier than usual development of cataracts in both eyes. I had the op to replace the lenses early so that clear retinal photos could be taken. Now if you get any complication at all, can I recommend this one. My eyesight’s never been this good before; I began wearing glasses at the age of 8: love not having to avoid condensation or put in contacts every day.

Reactions: London36_

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Woohoo! What a lovely doctor! And congratulations!
It’s 48 years since diagnosis for me and so far the only (maybe) complication is an earlier than usual development of cataracts in both eyes. I had the op to replace the lenses early so that clear retinal photos could be taken. Now if you get any complication at all, can I recommend this one. My eyesight’s never been this good before; I began wearing glasses at the age of 8: love not having to avoid condensation or put in contacts every day.

Really great to hear- wow 48 years. That’s brilliant. So different from the stereotype or perhaps scaremongering I’ve encountered from medical professionals over the years. Feeling really excited about the future and not worried now.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
My control in the early days was not that great, I would eat and drink whatever I wanted when I wanted! I later started to look after myself better and now look after myself quite well and after 43yrs of type 1 am complication free.

Reactions: London36_

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My control in the early days was not that great, I would eat and drink whatever I wanted when I wanted! I later started to look after myself better and now look after myself quite well and after 43yrs of type 1 am complication free.

That’s fantastic and really nice for people like me almost 30 years in to hear.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
London, don't forget that diabetes is understood much more today than it was 50 years ago (when my Mum was diagnosed), we may moan a lot about Doctors etc but the way diabetics are managed now is far better than it used to be, we are better educated (just look at this forum) and more able to take charge of our OWN life. I bet you will live free of complications for a long, long time because YOU have guts and determination. Well done!!

jamesmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That is wonderful news, I was diagnosed over 30 years ago and have not any complications, only blood pressure tablets. My last hba1 was also 8 which considering im going through the menopause which can cause a lot of fluctuation i was very happy.

barbarapreston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Large dogs, loud music and bad language

barbarapreston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Large dogs, loud music and bad language
Congratulations It's nice to know that many people have no serious complications.I'm 64 years with type 1 next month ,diagnosed February 1954.It seems a lifetime ago,but I coped very well.At that time I would see the diabetic consultant every two weeks.Blood tests took weeks to come through but we survived.I shall be 75 in July and hope to have many more years without complications.It's good to learn that you were told that after 35 years you will probably be safe from complications.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No comps for me either. Diagnosed 1984 at age 32. Good control. MDI. And congratulation on your 30 years of successful management. It says London36. Does that imply you were 6 when you got it?

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
I understand your not and relief. I have had troubles controlling my sugar despite my best efforts and had a fear of complications but it has made me want to try my best to stay fit and healthy in other ways. I a now 41 years type 1 with no complications. Thanks to everyone who has worked so hard on research and ways of helping diabetic control. It is so much easier nowadays, even though it is still hard to keep everything right all the time!