Recently diagnosed type 1

rebecca owen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’ve recently been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, I’m having no problems with injecting or testing my glucose levels but my biggest problem is finding things to eat and ideas for things to snack on.

Any advice or tips greatly appreciated

Thanks

D

Deleted Account

You can eat and snack on what you want.
Many people on this forum follow a low carb diet to manage their type 2 diabetes.
Some people with type 1 find this useful but most find low carb is not necessary.

The thing to remember is to match your insulin to the carbs that you eat.
There is an online BERTIE course which explains carb counting if you have not already been introduced to it.

If you are on a basal-bolus insulin regime, the usual advice is that you can have 10 - 15g carbs between meals without injecting.
This would be a packet of crisps (not family-sized :)), one or two biscuits, an apple, an orange, ...

Reactions: therower

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @rebecca owen Welcome to the forum :)

How long have you been diagnosed and what insulin regime are you on ? So is it a basal/bolus regime ?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’ve recently been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, I’m having no problems with injecting or testing my glucose levels but my biggest problem is finding things to eat and ideas for things to snack on.

Any advice or tips greatly appreciated

Thanks
Find foods/snacks with a low "glycemic index". For instance there's a pretty wide range of GI with fruits. I'm mainly talking about the glycemic index (GI) of carbs.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@NoKindOfSusie . I fail to see where @helensaramay has given medical advice. Dietary pointers maybe.
I see nothing but helpful information posted.
We are all aware of your personal struggles with your diabetes.
May be this new member will not have similar issues and will be able to bring her own positivity to the forum.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It’s been about ten days, and yeah it a Basel/Bolus regime

So you have been given instructions on matching your carbs to insulin ? If this is the case, then the best advice I can offer is to eat normally. Personally I have learnt over time that I struggle to manage the insulin for things like pizza, fish and chips or carb heavy foods, so try to maintain a balanced diet, I tend to snack on stuff like olives, cheese, nuts if hungry between meal times as I don't inject for these.

As @helensaramay has already suggested Bertie is a good course to get clued up on carbs: https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

In time your nurse will get you onto the DAFNE (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating) course - perfect for really getting to grips with your insulin doses.

Also try to keep a diary to record insulin doses, carbs eaten and your BG readings as this will help you see what your response is and help build your knowledge.

Reactions: therower

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I’m hoping a visit to the dietitian will help a bit more

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask as much as you want, no question is stupid.

On diagnosis, I struggled with the foods in which I thought were ok and what were not. I basically lived off of omelettes for a few weeks because I knew they were low in carbs....hence putting on a little weight in that time lol.

I through myself into finding out nutritional info, what was low carb, speed at which my body digested the food etc. Only way you will find out is by trying different things. Porridge for me spikes me high before coming down, but maybe it'll be perfect for you, everyone is different.

I found the https://www.dietdoctor.com/ really good, not only for low carb but for some good ideas.

Reactions: Australia 1

rebecca owen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I’ve literally cut so much out, and trying to bring in things, but looking at carbs and sugar in products. It’s just finding ideas for food at lunchtime which I’m struggling with

Newbie 2 LADA

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Rebecca,
Sorry to hijack your post but I am also interested in advice on this.
Was diagnosed Type 2, 2 years ago and despite changing diet, lifestyle and losing 3 stone my blood sugars kept going up so have just been diagnosed as LADA.
I am just on a basal dose of insulin at the moment (started 4 days ago) but can see my BS spiking after meals so think that will change quickly. Have bought 'Think like a pancreas' and trying to keep myself as well informed as possible but am finding everything I eat is making me spike, so am interested in what others have to say here.
Good luck!

rebecca owen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Rebecca,
Sorry to hijack your post but I am also interested in advice on this.
Was diagnosed Type 2, 2 years ago and despite changing diet, lifestyle and losing 3 stone my blood sugars kept going up so have just been diagnosed as LADA.
I am just on a basal dose of insulin at the moment (started 4 days ago) but can see my BS spiking after meals so think that will change quickly. Have bought 'Think like a pancreas' and trying to keep myself as well informed as possible but am finding everything I eat is making me spike, so am interested in what others have to say here.
Good luck!

No worries on the hi jack, I’ve noticed mine go down then it seems to spike up but I think I’ve worked out what’s causing it etc

Reactions: Newbie 2 LADA

Macdonald1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m type 1 have been for 2 and half years, I eat what I want in moderation, I take my insulin and never miss a dose. I just live my life, I am healthily for the insulin. Don’t let your diabetes rule your life. Good luck :)

Reactions: Newbie 2 LADA