Low carb food delivered

Matt61j

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I recently found (by accident) a local food delivery company called Independence Market based in London. They offer a few low carb meals so I tried the Chicken Herb and Mushroom Stew and was really surprised how good it was. They send the food and you heat/prepare it yourself. If was lovely, filling and 0.95g of carbs per 100g - total of 3.2g per serving.

I am new here so cannot post any links but just google them. They change the menu each week so you might not get this choice this time. They deliver to some London areas but they are expanding.

Hopefully this is posted in the right place (sorry if it isn't)

Reactions: ringi

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perfectly placed post and welcome to the Forum! Sounds expensive but good if you fancy a night off cooking. Hopefully the business will expand beyond London.

Jo123

Well we live near London so I googled their website and I'm not very impressed at all.
Absolutely no nutritional information so no idea of portion size, and for the Butternut spaghetti with Alfredo sauce they say "no carbs! Well almost none." Well butternut squash is a higher carb veg so I find that very misleading.additionally the picture of the 5 veg tossed salad doesn't match the description at all.

Last edited:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Looks like a great way to learn low carb cooking if you don't have access to good shops and time to plan meals yourself. When you find a dish you like, you can then recreate it yourself for a lower cost. Considering the cost of owning a car in London, and the cost of renting a parking space, their prices could even make sense for all meals.....

I will not be using them, as I can cook and have time to shop. I will also not be investing in them, as if the market is proven, then one of the supermarkets will start to include ready-made low carb meal plans on their web order systems.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well we live near London so I googled their website and I'm not very impressed at all.
Absolutely no nutritional information so no idea of portion size, and for the Butternut spaghetti with Alfredo sauce they say "no carbs! Well almost none." Well butternut squash is a higher can very so I find that very misleading.additionally the picture of the 5 veg tossed salad doesn't match the description at all.
I never trust the labels on prepared food. More so, now that its life and death for me. So many labels are inaccurate, both by weight and nutrition values, even for ordinary primary goods like fruit and Veg. I find Asda to be horrendous. They stick on what ever they like on their nutrition information

Jo123

I never trust the labels on prepared food. More so, now that its life and death for me. So many labels are inaccurate, both by weight and nutrition values, even for ordinary primary goods like fruit and Veg. I find Asda to be horrendous. They stick on what ever they like on their nutrition information

I know what you mean but at least if they give calories or weight even, you get an idea of portion size.
And I think they're very, very misleading about the butternut squash.

Jo123

Looks like a great way to learn low carb cooking if you don't have access to good shops and time to plan meals yourself. When you find a dish you like, you can then recreate it yourself for a lower cost. Considering the cost of owning a car in London, and the cost of renting a parking space, their prices could even make sense for all meals.....

I will not be using them, as I can cook and have time to shop. I will also not be investing in them, as if the market is proven, then one of the supermarkets will start to include ready-made low carb meal plans on their web order systems.

But Ringi, I'm a moderate carber, at about 70 a day but a good sized portion of butternut spaghetti is too carby for me, I find their quote that it has no carbs, well almost none, very misleading. And I'm cross as I love butternut squash but it is too many carbs for me except as an occasional treat.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have no problem with butternut, I expect it is one of the vegs were some of us digest more of the fibre into glucose than others do. The only real option unless strictly VERY low carb is to test before and after every new meal.

Matt61j

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did question their lack of nutritional info and the immediately sent it to me. They also told me that the website in still being developed and the nutritional info will get included soon.

I've not tried anything else yet but I will do at some point. I'm new at the very low carb diet and although I am managing, it gets a bit samey as I don't know enough yet and find it hard getting the time to cook it all fresh. I'm getting better though.

Last edited:

Jo123

I did question their lack of nutritional info and the immediately sent it to me. They also told me that the website in still being developed and the nutritional info will get included soon.

I've not tried anything else yet but I will do at some point. I'm new at the while very low carb diet and although I am managing, it gets a bit samey as I don't know enough yet and find it hard getting the time to cook it all fresh. I'm getting better though.

OK fair enough, what was the portion size like?

Matt61j

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The stew was easily big enough for one. I got the 5 veg salad with it which was not big enough for the "serves 4" info. But fair play to them, they emailed me to ask how I liked it and told them. They replied saying they agree and they are increasing the size by half and refunding everyone who ever bought one £2 each. That tells me they actually value feedback rather than just asking to look good.

Reactions: ringi