Type 1hypo what do you take?

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi, I’m a struggling type 2 ,but enough about me.... I have a friend who is type 1 , she is 60 years of age....and gets hypos...when she gets a bad one, she has, in the past drunk original lucozade (she doesn’t like the taste of any other) but recently they have not had the same positive effect as they did in the past....she reckons lucozade have reduced the amount of sugar in their drinks, myquestion to you all , is if you have a hypo and havent caught it in time, what do you take?
Many thanks

Craigh82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Lucozade have reduced the amount of glucose in the drink so it's not as successful. I'm type1 and I've been told that 5 jelly babies is enough to bring you out of a hypo.

D

Deleted Account

I use Glucotabs.
They come in a nice tube which can be refilled from bigger (cheaper) bottles and fit nicely into any handbag. Available from Boots and Amazon/eBay.
Each tablet contains 3.6g fast acting carbs. I take 2 or 3 depending how bad my hypo is.

I have heard of others eating jelly babies but they don’t work for me because they are not vegetarian (at least Bassetts aren’t) and, being sweeties, others seem to think they are treats for all rather than medication for someone with diabetes.

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glucose tabs to raise BS levels as they are a measured dose and are quickly absorbed. Going forward though, if she keeps having hypos she should check back in with her Doctor as she may need her dose of medication lowered.