Change in taste

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does any one here think that diabetes or Metformin has changed your taste of foods. I have found that my taste buds are not the same now because foods I used to enjoy no longer taste the same as they used to and I have found it with many foods example chicken which I have mostly eaten for years as I don't eat much other meat and always enjoyed it and cauliflower cheese one of my big favourites just does not taste the same anymore. I must admit I do still crave for other foods I can no longer have not sweet stuff but jacket potatoes chips roasties and mash I think potatoes are the thing I miss the most
I only have 500mg of SR metformin once a day any more than that and my appetite goes completely I only have a small appetite now and really do not have the pleasure in food any more

Last edited:

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My tastes have definitely changed, at one time I couldn`t STAND the taste of cauliflower, broccoli, kale etc. and sprouts were the devils own work! Happily I now enjoy all of them, although I usually have some butter with them. I agree about the potatoes, a meal just doesn`t seem complete without them:(.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Oh how I miss a lovely white baguette...roast parsnips..fish and chips... I know it's no good thinking of these things and I have got used to eating more green food, and there's no doubt my health has improved since changing the way I eat. We just have to remember that the big change in eating habits is worth it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at the leaflet that comes inside your Metformin medication. Last time I had a look at one (quite a while ago now) the contraindications listed changes in taste sensations and a taste in the mouth.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m on Metformin and my tastes have changed. However I don’t dislike things I’ve always enjoyed, quite the contrary I now like a few things that I didn’t used to, namely high % chocolate, sweet peppers and coconut!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that things definitely taste sweeter - most tomato based dishes (especially tinned tomatoes) taste very sweet, even 70% chocolate is too sweet. While I still look at cakes etc., I don’t have the same desire to eat them as before, especially now that I have found low carb alternatives that are not so sweet.

Like others have said, its some of the more savoury things that still have me craving - especially potatoes. I did succumb to some crisps a couple of months ago and thoroughly enjoyed them (without too much damage to BG) but managed to stay away from potatoes at Christmas.

I have always liked green veggies but am finding that serving them with butter is making me enjoy them all the more.

Overall I really enjoy this way of eating and love the freedom that comes now that I’ve discovered the ability to fast - so liberating not having to constantly think about where and what I’m going to eat next.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin definitely altered my perception of flavours - I have not drunk ordinary tea for over a year as it tasted so weird, and everything tasted different.
Sweetness is one thing affected by low carb - as having been advised against it in the strongest possible terms and then returned to it again and again as the only way I can keep my weight stable and feel well, perception of sweetness is always the first thing I notice about foods. I can't cope with 'professionally' devised recipes, as they are all too sweet. I have even considered making icecream flavoured with beetroot or peas.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not noticing any changes in taste. I never did eat a great deal of sweet stuff and was always a savoury eater.
I am not on Metformin.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't know if its the metformin or just because I no longer eat much in the way of carbs, but my taste has definitely changed. I no longer even want to eat sweet things, but like most others I do crave potato!!!! Nothing can ever come close to chip shop chips.

I really miss them. Although I would miss my eyes and feet even more, so I am not eating them. But I do miss them.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While out yesterday with family I succumbed to a Somerset brie, bacon and cranberry ciabatta and it was absolutely blimmin gorgeous. They ordered a sharing bowl of cheesy chips but I did resist those - like @Kentoldlady1 and others I miss chunky crunchy fluffy chips cooked in beef dripping. I made them a veggie cottage pie topped with cheesy mash and, without thinking, I'd had a big spoonful of the mash (to test the seasoning, of course....). So the spud craving is still lurking: back to the LC toot sweet!:oops: Biggest surprise for me was trying a fat-free plain yoghurt and finding it incredibly sweet.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not just me then that really misses potatoes meals are just not the same without them .I do make celariac and cauliflower mash but nothing replaces cheesy mash on cottage pie and fish pie

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not just me then that really misses potatoes meals are just not the same without them .I do make celariac and cauliflower mash but nothing replaces cheesy mash on cottage pie and fish pie

Have you tried a couple of potatoes (new or roast) and tested?
Potatoes in small portions are fine for me, even chips provided they are home made and not oven chips.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have noticed that sweet stuff tastes even sweeter. Like at Christmas, I had some apple crumble. It tasted so sweet that I could only manage the one spoonful. Also I used to have 3 sweeteners in my tea. Now just the one. Still can,t drink tea yet without the one sweetener. I was at my mums yesterday and she put 2 sweeteners in my tea and gagged on the only sip I had as was far too sweet. Pre t2 I had the most sweetest things and just can,t bear it now.
Also now I can drink strong black coffee without any sweeteners where as before t2 I couldn,t bear coffee at all

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried a couple of potatoes (new or roast) and tested?
Potatoes in small portions are fine for me, even chips provided they are home made and not oven chips.
Yes I have tried the new potatoes seem ok for a couple of really small ones but not tested the roasties as I never cook those now will have to wait until we have roast dinner at my daughters

Reactions: Bluetit1802