Development of diabets type 2

Eve_line

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wonder how quickly diabetes type 2 can occur? I cant seem to find much information online except that it can take years to develop symptoms but nothing about the levels. The thing is ive been diagnosed 3 months ago, i remembered in 2015 i once was tested for blood Sugar too, so yesterday i called the assistent and asked what levels it was. It appears that in 2015 i had a NON(!) Fasting level of 5, no HBa1c known.. 2 years later it's 9 and HBA1C is 50. Is this possible for type 2? Im so worried i am actually type 1, or something else is wrong with me.. today i panicked thinking ive no diabetes but pancreatic cancer.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your current results only just put you within the Type2 diabetes range. I had a none fasting of 32, now it is below 6 whenever I test it, all by the power of lower carb.....

Eve_line

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm sorry, is there anyone who can answer this question? I hope im not ignored because of the typo in the title. :oops: I just wonder how likely it actually is that i am LADA instead of type 2.. also considering my age (31). On the other hand, i am very much overweight (working on that now)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lets begin with what we know.
  • You are overweight, and low carb is a great way to lose weight.
  • If you are LADA rather then Type2 often it can often be controlled for a few years with low carb
  • By getting yourself a meter, and testing before and 2hr after meals you can check your BG control.
  • The data you collect from testing your own BG will be very helpful to a GP in deciding if you are not Type2.
If when you radically lower your carb intake your self-tested BG does not improve, then you need to go back to your GP to get a test of the level of insulin your body is making. However given your age, it is possible your GP has already done this test.

Type2 is possible at any age when "very much overweight", more common when people are older, but is now becoming common at your age.

So I am basically saying, assume you are Type2 and use low-carb plus testing before/after meals to both manage your BG and lower your weight. But if BG doesn't come down, talk to your GP again.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder how quickly diabetes type 2 can occur? I cant seem to find much information online except that it can take years to develop symptoms but nothing about the levels. The thing is ive been diagnosed 3 months ago, i remembered in 2015 i once was tested for blood Sugar too, so yesterday i called the assistent and asked what levels it was. It appears that in 2015 i had a NON(!) Fasting level of 5, no HBa1c known.. 2 years later it's 9 and HBA1C is 50. Is this possible for type 2? Im so worried i am actually type 1, or something else is wrong with me.. today i panicked thinking ive no diabetes but pancreatic cancer.
The fasting readings are just snapshots at a specific point in time and aren't used for diagnosis any more.
Your 5 fasting level in 2015 could have been a low reading on the day you had it done and your bloods could have usually been higher but you'll never know as the HbA1c wasn't done. That would have been a far better indicator. You may have been pre -diabetic then. Have you gained more weight since 2015? Weight gain is a symptom of insulin resistance so yours could have been steadily getting worse over the past few years but you could have still had a low FBG reading. Cutting out as many carbs as you can won't do you any harm whatever Type you are at the moment so I'd give that a go and start monitoring your blood sugars. As others have said your HbA1c shows you have just nudged over into Type 2 levels so with a bit of work on your part it could well drop back again.
AS you can see below my HbA1c went from 44 to 87 in 21 months so nothing is out of the question.

Last edited:

L0llyp0p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went from an HBA1C of 35 to one of 70 in just over 12 months. This is without significant change in eating habits or weight.

Eve_line

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lets begin with what we know.
  • You are overweight, and low carb is a great way to lose weight.
  • If you are LADA rather then Type2 often it can often be controlled for a few years with low carb
  • By getting yourself a meter, and testing before and 2hr after meals you can check your BG control.
  • The data you collect from testing your own BG will be very helpful to a GP in deciding if you are not Type2.
If when you radically lower your carb intake your self-tested BG does not improve, then you need to go back to your GP to get a test of the level of insulin your body is making. However given your age, it is possible your GP has already done this test.

Type2 is possible at any age when "very much overweight", more common when people are older, but is now becoming common at your age.

So I am basically saying, assume you are Type2 and use low-carb plus testing before/after meals to both manage your BG and lower your weight. But if BG doesn't come down, talk to your GP again.

Thank you. I dont use a meter because that will make me worried and obsessed too much. I already struggle a lot mentally so i decided to not do that but might reconsider it later. I do eat low carb since diagnosis

The doctor did not do any testing u talk about. Since you say, considering my age.. I feel again that the possibility that i am type 1 is very high.. Its just not that common, type 2 at my age. Yes it can happen. And type 1 could happen too so i just dont get why its so quickly said that im type 2.

Eve_line

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The fasting readings are just snapshots at a specific point in time and aren't used for diagnosis any more.
Your 5 fasting level in 2015 could have been a low reading on the day you had it done and your bloods could have usually been higher but you'll never know as the HbA1c wasn't done. That would have been a far better indicator. You may have been pre -diabetic then. Have you gained more weight since 2015? Weight gain is a symptom of insulin resistance so yours could have been steadily getting worse over the past few years but you could have still had a low FBG reading. Cutting out as many carbs as you can won't do you any harm whatever Type you are at the moment so I'd give that a go and start monitoring your blood sugars. As others have said your HbA1c shows you have just nudged over into Type 2 levels so with a bit of work on your part it could well drop back again.
AS you can see below my HbA1c went from 44 to 87 in 21 months so nothing is out of the question.

Thank u, i guess ure right that one test doesn't say much.

Yes i did gain weight after 2015 eventhough i got more active and ate less. :(

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@eye_line, The key to testing is to only consider how much BG increase from before a meal, until 2hr after the meal. Hence each meal is a new start, aiming to keep the increase below 2.

However, if you are losing weight at a consistent rate with "low carb" it is likely you are also getting your BG under control, as the levels were not that high to begin with. Ps, Has your GP talked to you about going on Metformin yet?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My T2 came on in the space of 12 months. One January I was not diabetic. The next January my HbA1c was 53 and my FBG was 7. I never did have any symptoms. I was diagnosed on a routine over 60's blood test.

However, T2 can take decades to show itself. Insulin resistance and high circulating insulin come first and can be there many years, getting worse all the time. People can have normal BS levels for years, but the insulin resistance and high insulin production is there in the background, unbeknown to us and has no real symptoms, and then bingo - we cross the line and have T2.

Your level of 50 is low and only just over the threshold. If you were type 1 you would have much higher levels and be quite poorly. From what you tell us, you seem to be a classic T2.

Reactions: Eve_line

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing, once on low carb foods can be really useful.
I saw 5.6mmol/l after my Christmas dinner and still feel totally smug about it.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Eve_line

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all for your experiences, and some insights.. and motivated again to continue on a good low carb diet. @Resurgam congrats on your after Christmas dinner readings, well done!

acs1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am sorry if you felt upset at not getting replies immediately. We do try to read questions and gives answers where we can as we are all in the same boat. One thing about testing is to use the meters cumulative memories to get the averages over say 28 and 90 days. This will point towards your HBAC1 reading. I am aiming to keep my 90 day reading around 6 . It was twice this when diagnosed but went down to 4 on Glyclazide which was too low. Certainly reduce your carb intake to as low as you can stomach. I feel it best to not worry about fat content in your food at this time. Eat items high in protein and fat and slow burning carbs so I avoid cakes biscuits bread sweets and potatoes. There are plenty of nice low carb foods around to help. The only other thing i have found is the reading before Breakfast is a bit hit and miss as it all depends upon how much Glucose your liver finds to stimulate the body to wake me up, thus carbs last thing at night seem to equal higher waking readings, but that might be just the way it works for me. Good luck.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
considering my age.. I feel again that the possibility that i am type 1 is very high.. Its just not that common, type 2 at my age.
You have got this the wrong way round. T2 used to be called "adult onset diabetes". It is usual for T1s to be diagnosed early in life and T2s much later (though as you know LADA does also exist, and, shockingly, some children are now being diagnosed T2). T1s are also likely to lose weight, T2s to gain it. (But again, the contrary can be found.) From what you say, it sounds as if, like me, you are an anxious sort of person. However, it really doesn't sound as if you need worry about being LADA or having pancreatic cancer. It is so much more likely your problem is common or garden T2, which will likely respond readily to your lower carb regime.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i was constantly in the 30s for years then 2 years later i was 106 it can come on quickly and it can come on slowly. inmy case ive just been tested positive for auto immune liver disease. i suspect that may have sparked it assume your type 2 and try and get tested for the the antibodies and the cpetide test if both are negative then your a type 2 and your one of us commoners.