Type 2 How come blood prick tests can change within minutes?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I didn’t know why it wouldn’t be the same hence the question? Had I have known the answer I wouldn’t have asked and your right.. both are too f**ing high but after weeks of no carbs and no alcohol and no doing f**all, I need a blow out.. high readings or not. Does everyone one this forum literally follow LCHF 247, 365 days a year? If so please tell me how you all manage it without a monthly blow out/naughty night?

Sorry, things said in text often don't come across as intended!

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or judgemental, just offering an explanation of why results can be different within short periods of time, due to biological reasons.

When I started out several decades ago, all we had were strips which changed colour like the pic below. The absolute numbers weren't too important - it was more the general range: 4 to 7, fine; above 9, not good, below 4, grab a Twix!

I was just trying to get across that it's more the general range that's the important thing, sorry if it came across in the wrong way - I've not yet figured out how to use smiley emoticons to indicate tone!

blood_glucostix.jpg

Reactions: MKD75

Florence5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also find with the Meters that I have had it also depends on the amount of Blood your put on the strip, You can put a small drop of blood on and it will still accept the reading, I use the Freestyle Libre and the reading can in fact change by around 0.50 units within seconds due to the amount of blood on the strip.

Have you tried to use your Freestyle Libre abroad? Do the sensors from the Uk tally with the reader when abroad? Notice that some people have had issues and I can’t really understand why!
Florence5

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I’d say those figures come well within the accuracy ranges of your meter, somnothing to worry about. And it’s the treats now and then that make the rest of the time easier to handle! It’s only when treats become everyday foods that they start to become a problem :cat:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t know why it wouldn’t be the same hence the question? Had I have known the answer I wouldn’t have asked and your right.. both are too f**ing high but after weeks of no carbs and no alcohol and no doing f**all, I need a blow out.. high readings or not. Does everyone one this forum literally follow LCHF 247, 365 days a year? If so please tell me how you all manage it without a monthly blow out/naughty night?
Yes I am sure a lot of people here have a naughty time sometimes knowing it will raise their blood glucose I know I do we are only human after all

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, things said in text often don't come across as intended!

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or judgemental, just offering an explanation of why results can be different within short periods of time, due to biological reasons.

When I started out several decades ago, all we had were strips which changed colour like the pic below. The absolute numbers weren't too important - it was more the general range: 4 to 7, fine; above 9, not good, below 4, grab a Twix!

I was just trying to get across that it's more the general range that's the important thing, sorry if it came across in the wrong way - I've not yet figured out how to use smiley emoticons to indicate tone!

View attachment 25028

Haha that’s ok, I was slightly tipsy after a few Gins and felt extremely guilty for having a treat night.. I just worry so much when my level is high but it very rarely is. It’s not been over 8.2 since Christmas so seeing a 15 then a 12 sent me a bit panicky! Mind you that test was hour after eating and 10 mins after last drink. Do you manage it with diet or pills?

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried to use your Freestyle Libre abroad? Do the sensors from the Uk tally with the reader when abroad? Notice that some people have had issues and I can’t really understand why!
Florence5

I use accu performa. It’s what the doctor prescribed.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I am sure a lot of people here have a naughty time sometimes knowing it will raise their blood glucose I know I do we are only human after all

Back on it today ... until next months slip no doubt lol

Reactions: Pinkorchid

redditchdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Florence5

Had no problem with it, Lucky too of been to USA and Australia in the last 18 months.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I’d say those figures come well within the accuracy ranges of your meter, somnothing to worry about. And it’s the treats now and then that make the rest of the time easier to handle! It’s only when treats become everyday foods that they start to become a problem :cat:

Thank you and your right. For me personally, after weeks of being good I do needs night of something I fancy. Tested today and was 7.1 which is usual for me, am always High morning and first thing after quick mile jog I was 6.2. Normally spend the rest of the days in the 5’s and never higher than 8.2 after evening meal.

Reactions: LooperCat

Margie@home

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Florence5

I have just returned from a trip to Malta I wore a Libra and the sensor I wore worked perfectly.
I think the reader and sensors have to be compatible.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Florence5

There's been a few posts, can't recall the poster's names, by people who travel about a bit for work and have found that a reader bought in the UK won't work with sensors bought abroad. Something to do with licensing issues, local regulatory approval requirements.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too, live it large, don't drink don't smoke eat healthy get lots of exercise, you don't live any longer it just seems like it.

Sent from my RAINBOW using DCUK Forum mobile app
Here here!!!! Yeh I try to be good most of the time but sometimes you just have to say f*** it! It’s bad enough I’ve given up cider, profiteroles and bars of chocolate! Life’s too short my friend x

sunnybouy77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was gorging on crisps and wine last night, morning reading was 8.8

After eggs and coffee then 45 minute walk, I was back to 5.4 with 500mg of metformin

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It probably is a silly meal but think I’d rather die younger and enjoy myself while I can than have no life at all and live on lettuce.

When I want to have a nice meal I take the dog for a walk afterwards or jog on the spot through out the day. I am newly diagnosed and just had my 3 month review was dreading it I have went a bit crazy over December and my HBA1C was 38 was in shock because I had many many blow outs xx